No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 127

Aloha Friday
Admiral

Re: Unfinished Business (8.8)

#121 Post by Aloha Friday »

I just watched this one again today...it had been a while since I revisited Season 8. I think I avoid it because it is the end of the series. Overall a really good episode, but as others have said a little out of place with some of the more light hearted stories. Maybe the producers wanted to lighten thing up a bit from the dark storyline. A couple of things regarding this episode. I was never a fan of copying the "Miami Vice" vibe with the later MPI episodes. I know it was the hot new show during that time, but I liked Magnum for the way it was...and the same with MV. I think the "lemons" he was shooting were mangos and the smiley faces were also big in that time..."Have a Nice Day" smiley faces were everywhere. I hated them. You see the smiley face stickers on the shredder in Buck's office when the Lieutenant is shredding classified. I think maybe shooting the yellow fruit with the faces drawn on them was perhaps tongue in cheek commentary on the "Have a Nice Day" stickers everywhere. Great episode though.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Tuan Vu from Hawaii
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#122 Post by Tuan Vu from Hawaii »

What an amazing episode. It was so powerful and emotional. When I saw the car explosion, I couldn't believe it. I couldn't accept that Michell and Lily were killed. In the end, when Magnum chooses not to kill Quang Ki, it was heartbreaking.

The only thing I didn't like about this episode was Magnum shooting the smiley face fruits. It just seemed inappropriate and took away from the seriousness of what Magnum was intending to do. But other than that, I think it was one of the very best episodes in all of the series. I am glad they did an eighth season, so we got this episode and "Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts" and "Resolutions".

Tuan Vu from Hawaii
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#123 Post by Tuan Vu from Hawaii »

Turkey wrote: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:39 pm
SignGuyHPW wrote:In rewatching this episode, does anyone know the signifigance of the face on the lemons that Magnum used for target practice? It seems really bizarre that he'd draw smiley faces on the lemons when he was this intense through all but the opening scene of the episode.
Yes! I wondered about that too
Back in those days, the yellow smiley face was an iconic design found on shirts, stickers, etc. In the next scene following Magnum shooting the fruits with the smiley faces, we see the smiley face stickers on the shredder that the Lieutenant was using. I guess it was a tongue-in-cheek transition from one scene to the next, but it bothered me that Magnum would draw a smiley face when he was in a dark mood.

Tuan Vu from Hawaii
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#124 Post by Tuan Vu from Hawaii »

I guess there are several reasons Magnum doesn't kill Quang Ki in this episode. Of course, to do so at that point in time would jeopardize future negotiations of possible MIA POWs and it would have ruined the reunion between Rockwell and his daughter . But mostly, it was to honor the memory of his daughter, by not taking vengeance. I suppose Magnum could have done a special incognito mission to Vietnam later to kill Quang Ki, but in the end, he wanted Lily to be proud of him.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#125 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Tuan Vu from Hawaii wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:56 pm What an amazing episode. It was so powerful and emotional. When I saw the car explosion, I couldn't believe it. I couldn't accept that Michell and Lily were killed. In the end, when Magnum chooses not to kill Quang Ki, it was heartbreaking.
Hi Tuan Vu,
I agree with you 100%, when I first viewed the car explosion I was shocked, not unlike when Magnum killed Ivan.
Later on though, reflecting on how TV series and writers work, I felt Michelle/Lilly had somehow escaped as otherwise they would have written themselves into a corner, with a forever
embittered Magnum still stuck in the War and never coming "home".
He and his crew were in Hawaii in the first place to heal psychically, none of the 3 Amigos had physically gone home after mustering out, TC to California, Rick to Chicago,TM to Virginia.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'll moider da bum."
...Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#126 Post by charybdis1966 »

My first watch of this some 36 years after it aired and I agree this must be a top 10 episode.
The tone starts off relatively light, with TM pulling a shopping trip out of Higgins by a bit of bait and switch and then things going quickly south at the trial and then the jolt of the video.
Selleck shows his range after that - sure we love it when he does the goofy comedy stuff (like in the previous episode, A girl named Sue) but stories like this and, for example The way of the stalking horse, shows there’s more to TM’s character than joking and giggling.
I rate any TV I watch by how many plot twists I don’t see coming - and this had enough in them to make an exceptional episode.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#127 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

charybdis1966 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 am My first watch of this some 36 years after it aired and I agree this must be a top 10 episode.
The tone starts off relatively light, with TM pulling a shopping trip out of Higgins by a bit of bait and switch and then things going quickly south at the trial and then the jolt of the video.
Selleck shows his range after that - sure we love it when he does the goofy comedy stuff (like in the previous episode, A girl named Sue) but stories like this and, for example The way of the stalking horse, shows there’s more to TM’s character than joking and giggling.
I rate any TV I watch by how many plot twists I don’t see coming - and this had enough in them to make an exceptional episode.
"I rate any TV I watch by how many plot twists I don’t see coming - and this had enough in them to make an exceptional episode."

I agree with you 100%! Most of the time I see all the plot twists a mile away. That's why recently when I watched the ending of Paul Newman's "Harper" film
I laughed out loud at a wry twist I never saw coming, done with style and panache. It's one of those flicks you have to watch twice to catch everything.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#128 Post by charybdis1966 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:34 am
charybdis1966 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 am My first watch of this some 36 years after it aired and I agree this must be a top 10 episode.
"I rate any TV I watch by how many plot twists I don’t see coming - and this had enough in them to make an exceptional episode."

I agree with you 100%! Most of the time I see all the plot twists a mile away. That's why recently when I watched the ending of Paul Newman's "Harper" film
I laughed out loud at a wry twist I never saw coming, done with style and panache. It's one of those flicks you have to watch twice to catch everything.
When you’ve seen as much TV as I have at my age an unseen plot twist is such a refreshing change. 👍

Riyan17
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#129 Post by Riyan17 »

Unfinished Business (8.8)is a captivating exploration of human connection and redemption. The intricate storyline keeps you on the edge, while the stellar performances elevate the emotional depth. Each character's journey feels authentic, story saver weaving together themes of forgiveness and second chances. With its poignant moments and unexpected twists, this film lingers in your mind long after the credits roll. A must-watch for anyone craving a thought-provoking cinematic experience.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#130 Post by Pahonu »

Riyan17 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:20 am Unfinished Business (8.8)is a captivating exploration of human connection and redemption. The intricate storyline keeps you on the edge, while the stellar performances elevate the emotional depth. Each character's journey feels authentic, story saver weaving together themes of forgiveness and second chances. With its poignant moments and unexpected twists, this film lingers in your mind long after the credits roll. A must-watch for anyone craving a thought-provoking cinematic experience.
Is anyone else noticing that these are AI generated?

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#131 Post by charybdis1966 »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:31 pm
Riyan17 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:20 am Unfinished Business (8.8)is a captivating exploration of human connection and redemption. The intricate storyline keeps you on the edge, while the stellar performances elevate the emotional depth. Each character's journey feels authentic, story saver weaving together themes of forgiveness and second chances. With its poignant moments and unexpected twists, this film lingers in your mind long after the credits roll. A must-watch for anyone craving a thought-provoking cinematic experience.
Exactly what I thought. It didn’t sound like a real person writing that comment. There’s another one another thread.

Pahonu

#132 Post by Pahonu »

charybdis1966 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:20 pm
Exactly what I thought. It didn’t sound like a real person writing that comment. There’s another one another thread.
There are actually about 10-12 now, with 4 coming today. I notified Styles to see if he might block that username.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#133 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:38 am
There are actually about 10-12 now, with 4 coming today. I notified Styles to see if he might block that username.
Forgive my ignorance. But would AI do this on it's own, which baffles me, what is the point? And if at the behest of a human, what is the point?
The world is getting deeply weird.

Pahonu

#134 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:26 am
Forgive my ignorance. But would AI do this on it's own, which baffles me, what is the point? And if at the behest of a human, what is the point?
I don’t know that these responses are generated by AI as much as created by AI to be posted by an outside source. As an educator, I pretty quickly recognized these types of posts. I can’t comment on the rising weirdness of the current world, but share your concern.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#135 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:16 am
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:26 am

I don’t know that these responses are generated by AI as much as created by AI to be posted by an outside source. As an educator, I pretty quickly recognized these types of posts. I can’t comment on the rising weirdness of the current world, but share your concern.
Pahonu,
After you pointed it out I went back and reread the post in question, the AI clearly mimicking a movie review in the language it employed, but the words are empty and sterile.
Sterile being be the operative word for AI.
You said "as an educator" and I thought were I you, I would throw any student using AI out of my class as he/she is announcing he has no interest in an education
and that any time spent on him is a waste of my time, better spent with those there to learn.