No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 78

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

Re: Resolutions (1) (8.12)

#61 Post by MaximRecoil »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: What if Higgins is actually the author of the Robin Masters novels but he is not Robin, rather he is Robin's GHOST WRITER employed by a rich layabout (in the form of Orson Welles).
Higgins is specifically called Robin's "ghost writer" in one of the episodes after Paper War, but I can't remember which one. It does clarify, or indicate an evolution of, Magnum's "Higgins is Robin Masters" theory, but it seems the "Higgins can't possibly be Robin Masters" crowd missed it.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by K Hale »

MaximRecoil wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: What if Higgins is actually the author of the Robin Masters novels but he is not Robin, rather he is Robin's GHOST WRITER employed by a rich layabout (in the form of Orson Welles).
Higgins is specifically called Robin's "ghost writer" in one of the episodes after Paper War, but I can't remember which one. It does clarify, or indicate an evolution of, Magnum's "Higgins is Robin Masters" theory, but it seems the "Higgins can't possibly be Robin Masters" crowd missed it.
“Innocence, a Broad.”

This is the theory I subscribe to.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#63 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Answering a question from 2018 (a few posts back). The quote about taking care of small details was not a conversation between Magnum and his grand father in the finale. It is a conversation referenced in voice over during transitions the penultimate episode. Oddly also with his grandfather (I guess maternal).

Blackmamba
Lieutenant

Re:

#64 Post by Blackmamba »

Danno wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:03 pm Gah!

It's edited poorly, the pace is uneven, the narrative wanders and plods along. What IS this episode about?! :evil: There's no focus on anything.

Like Linda Lee Ellison, this episode makes me want to run out into the rain crying too.
I feel your pain! I think the whole Linda Lee character could have been excluded. There was an attempt to bring in a love interest just to have one and at this point, it would have shown how much TM had grown to not have a woman in the mix. He had coffee with Linda, didn’t actually date her (a kiss doesn’t count,) and they parted with him kind of disgusted with her.
The whole purpose of going home was to explore going back to the navy and that could have been written in along with his visit with his grandfather. TM didn’t need a pretext to go back to Hawaii. Rick’s wedding was looming and that was reason enough. I would have liked to see more time spent with the “gang,” instead of a contrived investigation and romance.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#65 Post by Aloha Friday »

Just watched this one again today...I usually avoid it since it is the end. It's not the best episode but not the worst either. A couple things that stuck out for me...I can see him flying from Honolulu to D.C. and hanging out in DC and a visit to Annapolis while he's there, but Tidewater is a 4-5 hour drive on a good day from Annapolis...I guess that could explain why he didn't show up at his mom's house until 1130. Tidewater is the region Southeast Virginia that encompasses Virginia Beach. VA Beach is home to Oceana Naval Air Station where the Air Wing resides. TSMIII would have been stationed at Oceana, not Norfolk. The carriers are at Norfolk, but the jets are at Oceana. Tidewater is common name around here...Tidewater Drive, Tidewater Community College, etc. There is a Tidewater Academy, but no Tidewater High School...though there might have been in the early 1960s. Anyway, my point is TM goes from DC to Annapolis then Tidewater, then the next day goes back to DC with his buddy ( the Murphy Brown guy) and back again to Tidewater. That is a lot of driving back and forth. Not impossible, but not a short hop up the interstate. The other thing that makes my head hurt is the Sullivan name. I thought I had it figured out, but the scene where TM is at Annapolis watching the drills from the stadium seats, he is sitting in a seat dedicated to his dad and it says LCDR Thomas Sullivan Magnum III and the date he was KIA. I know there are intermarriages that happen, but his mom's family is Sullivan...maybe that is how his mom and dad met. "Hey Catherine, your last name is my middle name...how about that, you wanna go out sometime?" True, the writers probably never imagined a bunch of people would be stressed over this flub 35 years later.
So the other question, why Linda Lee Ellison instead of Cynthia? Cynthia would make more sense, but my guess is Dana Delany was probably unavailable since China Beach had just started in 1988. Another good show...her and Marg Helgenberger!
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia