1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 98

Aloha Friday
Admiral

Re: Resolutions (2) (8.13)

#151 Post by Aloha Friday »

Congrats Checkman...that is no easy feat. My wife and I are on year 32.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

502-to-right
Lieutenant Commander

#152 Post by 502-to-right »

This episode was a disappointment. Not terrible--but they left a lot of money on the table with the writing.

The story with Lily Catherine was weird. No explanation as to what had happened to her after the explosion. Just, surprise!--your daughter is alive and here she is. Imagine the story they could have told where Magnum finds out his daughter is alive and he has to go find her (of course against the wishes of Buck Greene). Perhaps have Quang Ki come back to the United States to finish the job killing Lily Catherine and Magnum gets his revenge against Quang Ki and saves his daughter.

Instead we get an under cooked story about Linda Lee Ellison that, while not terrible, could have been a story line in virtually any generic Magnum episode. Why include it in the final episode? Just weird as it in no way serves to wrap up the series.

A few other observations I have:

- Buck Greene was invited to the wedding because he was a major character and the show runners wanted him in the final episode. As I note above, I would have preferred his role be more substantive with respect to finding/rescuing Lily Catherine.

- While in isolation I have no problem with Magnum rejoining the Navy, and understand his motivations for doing so, his making that decision as a single father was a wildly terrible idea. I served in the U.S. Marines for 10 years and was (and am) a single father to my son and thankfully none of the years coincided. It would have been near impossible to raise my son while being on active duty with deployments and extreme time obligations that being an officer in the U.S. military demand.

- I had no problem with TC's story line with his family/ex-wife. They foreshadowed this resolution in "Missing Melody" so it was not a surprise to me. It also seemed fitting for TC to want to bring his family back together again, assuming his ex-wife was willing to make it work.

- I was not a fan of Rick's wedding "dilemma." Either have him stop the wedding or have him get married. The "mystery" (did he or didn't he say "I do"?) was stupid and unnecessary and I didn't find it funny in least. Unlike many (most?) here I did not have a problem with Rick marrying Cleo. Rick was the type of guy who wouldn't have a problem excusing someone's past given his upbringing in Chicago and association with Ice Pick. I also think he was the kind of guy who wanted a woman like Cleo on his arm. If you know what I mean...

- Higgins was not Robin Masters. It might be fun to think about it, but there's zero possibility he could be, especially in the context of the early seasons when Orson Welles was still alive and was playing the role of Robin (at least in voice).

- I never understood the people who thought that Carol and Magnum should have ended up together. I never saw any romantic chemistry between them. She seemed like the sister Thomas never had. And I didn't dislike her character, I just didn't see any sparks there (from Thomas' side anyway).

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#153 Post by eagle »

I'm always sad when I get to Resolutions. It's not that I dislike the episode, it's that I know it means I'm at the end of the series.

To completes another run through the series for me. I'll take a break, and then start another run sometime in the next year.

Baker32
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#154 Post by Baker32 »

I know that the original episode had a pretty lengthy scene during magnums naval Academy reunion in the bar, and most of that was deleted for the DVD and syndicated version. Does anyone know a platform streaming or otherwise that has the episode in its entirety? Thanks.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#155 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Hmmm - I feel like the Virginia section is fairly complete (when I have caught it on syndication). Do any of the experts here know if it was cut significantly for syndication? I may have the original episode on vhs in a box somewhere - I am a bit curious now.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#156 Post by charybdis1966 »

charybdis1966 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:42 pm I would like to be fully able to comment on this episode but the channel showing it here in the UK, ITV4, decided to finish it’s run of Magnum PI with Resolutions Part 1 – if proof were ever need of the idiocy of TV channel programmers. So annoying, so I had to come here to moan about it !
So 8 years later and ITV4 finally decide to air Resolutions Part 2 :roll:

Like most here watching this induced a degree of sadness knowing this was the end of the story of the four guys we grew attached to and revelled in their adventures and there were quite a few things I didn't think worked.
I won't go into what they were (as they have been covered by all others in the 10 or so pages preceding this one) but I'm guessing the writers were told who would be available to appear in the series finale and somehow work them into the story.
A couple of things things I liked were when Lily and Thomas hug in the church on being reunited, the way Lily pats Thomas on the back with her right hand - quite heart warming - and Thomas' hurried arrival at the wedding as the bridal march starts.
When the end titles started I knew I'd get the syndicated version, the one without the montage of clips from previous episodes, but I was still disappointed when the cut happened to the series of stills from the actual last episode. I have seen the broadcast version and missed it badly at that point, even if one of those clips was from "Of sound mind" - a real turkey of an episode IMO.

As Lily and Thomas walked off into the distance I realised, regrettably, it was all over. :cry:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#157 Post by 308GUY »

charybdis1966 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:42 pm As Lily and Thomas walked off into the distance I realised, regrettably, it was all over. :cry:

One of the saddest feelings ever invoked by a "tv show".....at least for me..... :cry: But the music sort of lightens the mood and reminds us of what a great journey it's been....bringing us to this "end"...which is actually a new beginning....we just aren't privy to the new path like we were the one leading here.

But.....it also marks the place where we just have to go back and put in PDETSIH and start all over! :lol: :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#158 Post by charybdis1966 »

308GUY wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:28 pm
But.....it also marks the place where we just have to go back and put in PDETSIH and start all over! :lol: :geek:
"It's funny the things a grown man'll do to make a living, especially me...."