It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

How Would You Rate This Episode?
10 (Perfect!) 22%  22%  [ 17 ]
9.5 (One of the Best) 16%  16%  [ 12 ]
9.0 (Excellent) 26%  26%  [ 20 ]
8.5 (Very Good) 13%  13%  [ 10 ]
8.0 (Pretty Good) 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
7.5 (Decent) 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
7.0 (Average at Best) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 77
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:42 am 
Vice Admiral

I would like to be fully able to comment on this episode but the channel showing it here in the UK, ITV4, decided to finish it’s run of Magnum PI with Resolutions Part 1 – if proof were ever need of the idiocy of TV channel programmers. So annoying, so I had to come here to moan about it !

However I Youtubed the closing credits sequence and noticed something about the end title music I had to share with you that points to another little detail proving the care taken by the makers of the programme.

On the standard MPI iconic theme ( http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/magnum_pi.mp3 ) it ends with what to me sounds like the quickish guitar riff raising a question which is answered by the rest of the band/orchestra in a way which doesn’t resolve the chord progression, to me the original theme ends in a way that brushes aside the “question” raised by just picking up the speed and repeating a rising motif that peaks to the closing chord.

In the closing titles for Resolutions ( http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/magnum_pi ... finale.mp3 ) the piece is in a slower tempo but it’s the ending which I noticed, this time a slower version of the “question” asked in the original then is, to my untutored ears, answered and the chord progression, after 161 episodes, finally answered.

I may have misread/misheard this and musical analysis is probably best left to those that know it much better than me, but that’s how it sounds to me and it allows me to say: Bravo Mike Post!

Last edited by charybdis1966 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:56 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Very astute musical observation!

I agree wholeheartedly, and Idon't think I could've described it anywhere near as accurately.

Credit to Post and Carpenter, unless they had outside/additional help for the closing theme.

Another reminder how music affects us, most the time without our being aware of it.

Ever in a dept. store where they didn't have "muzak" playing over the P.A.?

Music speaks to the deeper parts of us, even if we're not cognizant of it doing so.

Remember the music in Mad Buck Gibson when he launches from the hill? I do.

Nice post Charybdis....sorry to hear the programmers for the station that shows MPI there ignore "logic".

Talk about waiting for the other shoe to drop! :magnum:

Maybe they were trying to be "Magnumesque" by just leaving in the middle of your concentration.....naaaaa.............they just must not be Magnum fans, or they only look at time slots, not content.

Maybe they'll show it at a later date? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:52 am 
Vice Admiral

308GUY wrote:
Very astute musical observation!

I agree wholeheartedly, and Idon't think I could've described it anywhere near as accurately.

Credit to Post and Carpenter, unless they had outside/additional help for the closing theme.

Thanks 308GUY, I'm glad at least one person saw what I was getting at and I like those kind of details the show always had.

I'm hopeful I'll get to see the 2nd part in full at some stage - it'll be worth the wait !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:40 pm 
Admiral

As far as I know at this point, even the new UK Blu-ray set uses the edited version for this episode. If you can get a hold of the German Season 8 set though, you'll find the full version there. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14