1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 90

davko
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: One Picture is Worth (7.3)

#61 Post by davko »

I am surprised nobody has mentioned this yet but when Magnum is running to the house, he is covered in sweat patches, on his armpits and his chest area. Never seen that before with TM, but I guess he usually wears lighter clothes like shorts and summer shirts instead of the heavy trousers and thick shirt he's wearing here.

It's quite funny because when he finally embraces the distraught girl with a hug, you're thinking "ew, her face is going right into those sweat patches" and she starts crying right at that moment.

Watch the scene again to see what I mean haha.

And yes agree the bank robbery scene is very brutal. I would've liked a bit more insight into why he went so mental, what his criminal colleagues thought of it, and a bit more dialogue from the main characters about the brutality of the murders. It reminded me of a Kurt Russell movie called DARK BLUE which had a similar scene, and the previous episode LA had that "fake" scene at the Hollywood movie set of innocent folks being mowed down by an uzi. All very disturbing.

p.s. I liked how Higgins even got the Magnum sunglasses cord for hanging them round his neck, he was just missing the memorial bracelet and the ring.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#62 Post by nha trang »

I am surprised to see I never commented on this episode the first time I watched the series, probably because I really liked it and didn't have time to do it justice.

I rate it excellent at 9.0, it did have a barely noticeable sag to it but not bad and it checks every box, including comedy (Higgins expert impersonation of Magnum), beautiful (and talented actress) playing Linda, one of the top shootouts, interesting plot. Also of note is the strange (noir?) opening scene with contrast of classical music vs gratuitous violence (much like the previous scene in LA with the kid shooter mixed with stand up comedy scene).

One of my favorites I believe!

Nha Trang

Bes
Commander

#63 Post by Bes »

I consider this an excellent and rather underrated episode. It holds up well to repeat viewing too, unlike some (Going Home springs to mind).

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#64 Post by ENSHealy »

jetranger wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:20 am Hi all,

It may be a bit of a stretch to call it a plot hole but I found the conversation between Magnum and Carol at the estate starting at about 14:50 where they discuss that the shooter Wilkins "may suspect they have a witness", that "his attorneys are asking a lot of questions" and that this means Wilkins may be suspicious about the existence of a witness strange enough to be noticeable.

Wouldn't the fact that Wilkins had been previously picked out in a line up pretty much confirm there was a witness capable of identifying him?
Carol the Dabbler wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 pm Right on, jetranger! Same thing occurred to me when Hubby & I rewatched this episode last night. Like you, I wouldn't exactly call it a plot hole (since the DA's office was making an attempt to protect Linda in any case), but it sure does strike me as a real "Duh!" moment.
I believe it's possible they detained Wilkins without telling him what the evidence was against him (i.e. the lineup). I don't think they have to do that before the preliminary hearing? It would be logical for him to assume he'd been ID'd, but I doubt the police would have told him that. They said they picked him up a few blocks from the bank, he must have still had the gun on him, otherwise what basis would they have had to detain him...since all the witnesses we're dead. So there must have been other evidence against him as well. At any rate, I think it's conceivable that it wasn't a sure thing Wilkins had been advised there was a witness (until the leak from Carol's office).
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#65 Post by ENSHealy »

rubber chicken wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:04 am Since I haven't seen the episode recently all the way through, I'm not sure I know exactly what you're asking Carol. I looked through the episode quickly and heard the art dealer mention "Kiiana Point". There's no location that I can find on Oahu by that name, but there is Kaena Point at the northwest tip of the island.

And I'm assuming that you mean the house where Linda is at the end of the episode, where the shootout occurs. I haven't looked carefully for the location but I'm pretty sure it was right around here. This area is called Puaena Point.
The subtitles refer to it as Kaiina point. It must be a thinly disguised reference to Kaena Point, regardless of whether the actual shooting of the scene took place there.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 7.3 One Picture is Worth

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap: 2
Island Hopper shirts: 1
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 1
Negotiations:
Gun Play:
Bullet wounds:
Body Count (by Magnum): 2
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking: 1
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks: 1
Magnumometer: 8
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/649620606

If it’s so hot, why are the bad guys all wearing jackets?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by charybdis1966 »

I saw this one tonight a day after the dreary LA (if you’re a UK fan of Morecambe and Wise you may think of Little ‘ampton when you see “LA”) it was somewhat of a return to form with the Hawaii location back and the Ferrari (I finally figured what the “muffler” meant - I know it as a “silencer”).
I enjoyed the Higgins-TM banter that much more due to its absence in LA.