6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 150

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by 308GTS »

Well, you guys are so lucky to have S7 out and available. I can't even complain about not receiving my order as it's still not been given a release date in the EU as yet.....!

Also, I hope that we get the same front cover as it's awesome but looking back at the previous releases most of the covers differ between R1 and R2.

Still, I can keep on wishing...

...soon

edit. Just looked through 14 pages of new releases on Universal Playback's UK website and no word, nada, zip so I've emailed them in disgust... :D
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#17 Post by Doc Ibold »

OK,

Maybe reading into things a little bit here, but hear me out.

I think the "tax audit" portion of this episode is actually a metaphor of Magnum taking an audit of his past cases, and not necessarily a financial aspect. The actual tax audit allows for Magnum to be away from each of his friends to take care of this, hence, leaving him on his own.

The "Ripper" has an account of all his past cases and in order for Magnum to solve the case, he needs to audit (or remember) the facts/places of each case in order to divulge the identity and next location of each murder.

So, in essence, this whole episode is a metaphor in the case that the one thing that Magnum was looking for was something inconsequencial that he forgot (i.e. Milton Collins) that came back to bite him later on (although it wasn't intentional)).

Make sense, or am I reaching a little bit?

Now that I type this, it seems really obvious...

:oops:

Oh well, lemme know your thoughts!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by lutherhgillis »

I agree Doc,

Very nice analysis. Also, remember the 7th season was originally going to be the last. They were also using the episode to pull back old episodes and ideas to recap the series. I thought it was done brilliantly. This is one of my all time favorites. I would love to know how the ripper knew about Philipe (le Boul). Maybe from the newspaper like all the rest?

Maggie looks great in street clothes!

LHG

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#19 Post by Shermy »

This episode always reminded me of one of my favorite Clint Eastwood films, "Tightrope". In the film, Eastwood plays a cop named Wes Block, who is attempting to catch a killer. But the killer taunts Block, by preying on women he has previously had some type of relationship with- whether personally or in the line of duty. The film even begins by showing the killer's shoes, as he stalks a potential victim!

I love the way this episode builds and builds until the two finally meet...and you're sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for the killer to be unmasked...and then Magnum simply tells the guy, "I don't know you."

The audience is expecting some easy payoff, like an old `Nam buddy the writers conveniently whipped up for the occasion. But instead, the show risks viewer disappointment by admitting that you don't always receive neat resolutions in life.

Great episode.
lutherhgillis wrote:Maggie looks great in street clothes!
I love the way she promises not to pick an expensive restuarant. There's just something about the way she says it...anyway, yes, Maggie was very hot.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#20 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, what an episode! Even better than I remembered it! "Mama" is a piece of TV history, no doubt about it. Along with Miami Vice, it changed the way TV shows are viewed. What a great scene that is!

"The Ripper"'s voice (on the phone) sounded like Truman Capote, in Murder by Death! :? Still, Kenneth Tigar is great as the crazed killer.

Outstanding episode, one of the best!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:So, in essence, this whole episode is a metaphor in the case that the one thing that Magnum was looking for was something inconsequencial that he forgot (i.e. Milton Collins) that came back to bite him later on (although it wasn't intentional)).
Excellent observation Doc! The title of the episode also fits in nicely with that dual theme. Bruce Cervi is a good writer and wrote some of the best episodes for the show - "Way of the Stalking Horse", "Forty", "Limbo", "Tigers Fan".

By the way, I've added a Flash video clip of the "Mama" scene to the site: http://magnum-mania.com/Video/Mama.html

20+ years later, this is still one of the best scenes, of any TV show, to feature a contemporary song as in-episode music. A perfect choice both musically and lyrically as the song's theme (prositution) nicely ties-in with the episode's theme. Brilliant!
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Loach
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#22 Post by Loach »

Just watched the clip provided by James. Great use of the song for this scene. Look at Magnum as he enters the alley: unshaven, unkept, tired. This killer is really bothering him...

As we have discussed before, Season 7 seems to bring out the "grown up" Magnum. This scene is a good example of this. Look at his emotion when he finds the body in the dumpster. Also, after he finds the body, look at how he realizes the killer saw him there last night, and Magnum figures out where he was standing with the reporter and the cop.

One interesting thing I noticed watching the clip: the killer calls all of the whores, including the reporter. Does this mean he considers this reporter a news whore since he works for a less reputable newspaper?

wilko
Captain

#23 Post by wilko »

One of the best episodes in the series! I was in the UK and saw it on the telly with my grandmother.............and she actually liked it too!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by lutherhgillis »

This one might be my all-time favorite. It is very suspensefull. I remember thinking Jeff Spangler was the killer back when I watched the episode during its original run. It later became obvious that he was not.

I still think that Milton Collins had to have known Magnum from Vietnam. He had a 'team ring', he knew about Felipe being Le Boule, and he knew that Magnum had worked the case that ended with La Boule being killed. How could he have known this and how did he get the ring? A simple fascination with Magnum from Magnum helping him with a case would not have been sufficient to gain the knowledge he had of Magnum and 'nam.

The fact that he dies with the secret is priceless. As Magnum says in the end as he rides into the ocean on his surfski, it wasn't the first time that he had to settle for not being able to get the answers he wanted (his dad, Michelle, Mac, 3 tours in 'nam, Rick's sister, Cassie Yates...).

Great episode from an otherwise mediocre season.

AJL
Commander

#25 Post by AJL »

I "only" rated this one a 9 for excellent. While definately great, there where a few too many plot holes/open ends for my taste.
Also, I wanna comment on the "Mama" part of the episode where TM finds the girl in the dumpster. People here talk about how great is was back then and how it changed television etc.
Well, I really don't know about that, but I will say that as a 23 year old watching this for the first time in 2008, I found it fantastic.
Definately a shining moment in MPI history, and one that really shows you how talented some of the guys "behind the screen" where, considering their extremely tight deadlines.
Was vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
Same summer that I kissed her on her daddy's boat
And shot across the lake
Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#26 Post by IslandHopper »

I think I would have liked this episode more if it was a two-part episode. I liked the use of the music, and I thought the plot was excellent with the serial killer thing, but I was always under the impression that they kind of half-assed this one. I always feel cheated when I watch this episode because the Ripper referenced Philippe/La Bule, which makes you think that maybe there is some kind of connection to La Bule...the gold from the pilot episode maybe. Magnum ponders this and has several flash-backs to his 'Nam days with Philippe as well as when he killed him. As a consequence, I found myself thinking about this throughout the episode. After all of this, they just end the episode without resolving the connection to Philippe/La Bule, offering only Magnum's statement "It wasn't the first time I had to accept that sometimes there were no answers."

I also found the Ripper's voice very irritating. I understand the writers wanted this guy to sound demented, but it was very annoying to me, a la Tracy Spencer, Betty Windom, Shelly Faraday, and Goldie Morris.

When Magnum found the Ripper's apartment, did he tell Lt. Page about it? Surely there would have been finger prints all over the room. They could have found the Ripper's identity through his prints since he was in the military, and in Vietnam at the same time Magnum was there.

How did the Ripper tie up Jeff Spangler's hands and feet? All he had was a knife. He had to put the knife down at some point in order to tie Spangler's hands and feet. Spangler could have run or jumped in the water to get away, or just beaten the guy senseless. :roll:

The MIA bracelet worn by the Ripper actually has Kenneth Lancaster's name on it (same name that appears on Magnum's bracelet). You can see this as the Ripper is holding his knife in his right hand while Spangler is walking into the War Memorial.

Spangler is obviously grateful that Magnum saved his life. After Magnum unties him, Magnum says "Just do me one favor Spangler." Spangler says "You saved my life, you name it." Magnum then says "Don't mention my name." Spangler looks up at Mangum very sincerely and says "You got my word on it Magnum." The next scene cuts to a shot of Magnum reading the newspaper article written by Jeffrey Spangler with the headline that reads: “PRIVATE EYE MAGNUM GUNS DOWN RIPPER.” Nice. :lol: The text of the article also mentions Magnum's name. What, did Spangler have his fingers crossed when he promised Magnum he wouldn't use his name? To add insult to injury, Spangler calls him a Private Eye in the headline. I wonder if this was intentional to illustrate what a little worm Spangler is, or if the writers forgot about Magnum asking for his name not to be used? Take a look at the article itself. The first paragraph is the same text that was used in the "Clever Canine" article that Magnum was looking at in the Ripper's apartment. The rest of the article is just filler, cut and pasted from other articles.

While Magnum is in the Ripper’s apartment he reads the various newspaper articles. The articles are about various cases Magnum has worked on. The interesting thing about these articles is that the first paragraph or two are actually about the cases Magnum has worked on. However, the rest of the article is just filler about other topics totally unrelated. For example the first article Magnum looks at is “Thomas Magnum Honored by Cat Fans.”(Photo Play) The article is supposed to be two-and-one-half columns long. The first four paragraphs actually talk about the Cat Caper, but then the rest of it goes into totally unrelated topics…“The department’s Bureau of Justice Statistics also found that knives were used in 11 percent of the attacks other weapons such as sticks and stones in 13 percent and unknown types of weapons in 2 percent…” The same article then talks about radio advertisement and the way to a customer’s heart is through the belly laugh. Then back to crime surveys and the mayor, etc. I thought two-and-one-half columns was a lot of space to talk about a guy saving a cat.

The second article “Clever Canine Leads Private Eye to Casebreaking Clue.” The first sentence of this article is exactly the same as the Jeffrey Spangler article about Magnum at the end of the episode. Both articles say, “Spaatz deserved all the credit for solving the case said Thomas Magnum, a local private investigator.” The article then says “The four year old dalmatian belonging to Ms. Dorothy…" The scene then cuts to Magnum following the dog. I don’t know what kind of a dog that was, but it sure wasn’t a dalmatian. It looked more like the dog they used in "The Ugliest Dog In Hawaii."

The next two articles are difficult to read, but no doubt they contain the same filler. The last article, “Local Investigator Solves Psychic’s Murder Riddle” (from Fragments) talks about Magnum and the case, but the second column all of a sudden begins a new subject about the “belly laugh” and advertising that we saw in the Cat article. The other problem (flub) with this article is that they refer to the psychic as Laura Griffins, however, her name is actually Laura Bennett.

There is a flub at the end of the episode as Magnum is paddling out on his surf-ski when he says "I don't know why I started feeling the need to be by myself on the 4th of July. The day my Dad died." The flub is that Magnum's Dad didn't die on the 4th of July. His Dad was buried on July 4, 1951 as seen in "Home From The Sea," so obviously his Dad died prior to July 4th.
Last edited by IslandHopper on Wed May 14, 2008 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#27 Post by Doc Ibold »

IslandHopper wrote:
There is flub at the end of the episode as Magnum is paddling out on his surf-ski when he says "I don't know why I started feeling the need to be by myself on the 4th of July. The day my Dad died." The flub is that Magnum's Dad didn't die on the 4th of July. His Dad was buried on July 4, 1951 as seen in "Home From The Sea," so obviously his Dad died prior to July 4th.
IH, I totally thought about that the other day and forgot to post it. I think he makes the same flub in Resolutions too (or he mentions the 4th July being the day his dad died)

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#28 Post by Jodykmg365 »

The guy who played the bad guy was great. He could have played the joker really well too. That line "you can't win Magnum" was delivered just perfectly. I also loved it when Magnum went after the reporter at the estate gate. Any time I get so see more of the estate, I am happy. I just think it is funny how they seem to try hard not to show the gate house. Have you ever noticed that?

Were the flashback scenes of Magnum running after the dog in the alley, the car crashing into the beach sign and Magnum talking to the hooker from past episodes?

How on earth does a guy go from being a husband with a wife, who is painting a portrait for him for their anniversary, to a psychotic killer?

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by lutherhgillis »

I agree with Jody. The guy who play Milton Collins was a master. He nailed this role.

Also, the Spangler character was played well. That guy was a serious weasel.

How about Maggie with her hair down??? Cool, eh? :wink:

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by MPS »

As usual, I wish I had read the Death and Taxes comments before watching the episode. The comments and analysis by Doc Ibold and IslandHopper were spot on!

One of the best episodes in the series, IMO.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?