6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
No votes

Total votes: 79

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#16 Post by N1095A »

Frodoleader wrote:One of my absolute favorites.
I am glad MPI did a show highlighting Native Hawaiian culture.
Interestingly, just recently I heard a comic on the Bob & Tom Radio Show (can't recall his name), that was a Native Hawaiian. He joked that when in Charlotte, NC, about 20 Hawaiians came to his show: "More Hawaiians that were ever on 8 years of Magnum PI!".

...I beg to differ...
The truly shocking thing is that you were listening to the Bob and Tom show. Was someone holding a gun to your head or did you loose a bet?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

eeyore
Admiral

#17 Post by eeyore »

I watched Kapu from my DVD collection, quite a few scenes deleted on the Sleuth version aired last week. I found it odd that there was a scene where Rick brought the Ferrari back to the estate and turned it over to HIggins. Later when he took his cousin to the museum where Higgins was conducting a tour, Rick made a big deal of talking about how he had taken the Ferrari, like HIggins didn't know anything about it. But of course he DID!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Frodoleader »

N1095A wrote:
Frodoleader wrote:One of my absolute favorites.
I am glad MPI did a show highlighting Native Hawaiian culture.
Interestingly, just recently I heard a comic on the Bob & Tom Radio Show (can't recall his name), that was a Native Hawaiian. He joked that when in Charlotte, NC, about 20 Hawaiians came to his show: "More Hawaiians that were ever on 8 years of Magnum PI!".

...I beg to differ...
The truly shocking thing is that you were listening to the Bob and Tom show. Was someone holding a gun to your head or did you loose a bet?
Here it is seven months later and I just see this...Its interesting that you make this comment about the B&T Show. I haven't listened to this show in over a year and have no desire to ever tune in again. Just a choice I've made...
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

MyGod!
Lieutenant Commander

#19 Post by MyGod! »

Just rewatched this, it's a great episode. I do agree that Magnum's fear of the Natives seems a bit forced, and over the top at the beginning. Well done though, I wish they would have had more episodes with Native Hawaiians and their culture in the forefront.
Magnum trying to escape on the boat and getting chased down is a great scene. It was a bit of a drag that they didn't get to have a party, I wish they would have just had an with the gang hangin out and partyin, no mystery or action

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#20 Post by Agatha »

FYI, Frodoleader :

Dick Jensen is also the car salesman with the unpronouncable name who sold Thomas his little red clunker in Blind Justice during Season 5.

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Frodoleader »

Agatha wrote:FYI, Frodoleader :

Dick Jensen is also the car salesman with the unpronouncable name who sold Thomas his little red clunker in Blind Justice during Season 5.

:)
Thanks Agatha!
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Jaybird
Admiral

#22 Post by Jaybird »

Any guess as to location? North Shore? Those Niihau shell are quite expensive but make exquisite necklaces.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#23 Post by rubber chicken »

The beach located next the village where Magnum throws the fishing net is Ka‘ula Bay, the same one used in Rapture (6.11), and the "village" was in the trees to the north, about here.
Image Image Image

Two coves to the north is the other cove used heavily in the episode, where the canoes were kept and the girls were swimming. It's name is Milo Cove. (Photo one, and two.) Paradise Cove lu'au is the property north and east of Milo Cove, and they use the it in some of their activities.
Image Image

Here's an oblique aerial photo showing Ka‘ula Bay at the far right and Milo Cove in the middle. This brings the total number of west shore locations (that I know of) to.... two! With Milo Cove being used once, and Ka‘ula Bay twice.

"The museum" where Higgins stands in for Agatha is the Bishop Museum (wiki link) located here. It was founded in 1889 by Charles Reed Bishop, husband of Bernice Pauahi Bishop. Hawaiian Hall, the building used in the show, was built in 1898. Higgins knows the area well because he attended "one of the most prestigious public schools in all of England" just a few hundred feet to the west.
Image Image
Last edited by rubber chicken on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

Nice work RC! Thanks! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Jaybird
Admiral

#25 Post by Jaybird »

Thanks for the post. Now I have another place to visit on the west shore of Oahu, not too terribly far from town! My dad was stationed at Barber's Point in the 50's and 60's. What a great place to be a kid....Hawaii back then! Three hotels on Waikiki....the Royal Hawaiian, the Ala Moana and the Surfrider. Everything else was two stories or less! The speed limit was 45 mph!

http://www.lat-long.com/Latitude-Longit ... a_Bay.html

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#26 Post by ConchRepublican »

Frodoleader wrote:As we make our way through our Season 7 dvds, we watched "Kapu" the other night. I laughed out loud to see in the scene where TM comes out among the inhabitants on the beach (right after he modified his clothes by ripping off the shirt sleeves and cutting off his pants legs), a small dog squating to take a dump! It's directly in the background behind TM as he walks among the other actors in the scene.
I just watched the episode and missed that. Would it be wrong to go back and watch it to see a dog dropping a deuce? :?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#27 Post by J.J. Walters »

ConchRepublican wrote:Would it be wrong to go back and watch it to see a dog dropping a deuce? :?
You don't have to, because I got you covered! ;)

This always amused me as well. Of course, it could very well be a female dog. Heh.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#28 Post by ConchRepublican »

Thanks James!

. . . . I think . . . . :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#29 Post by Agatha »

:shock:
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#30 Post by Doc Ibold »

Everybody poops, Agatha

:lol: