Things I learned from Magnum PI

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

RJMasters
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Things I learned from Magnum PI

#1 Post by RJMasters »

What if anything did you learn by watching Magnum PI?

I learned the castling manouver in the game of chess from watching Higgins and Magnum play in "Who is Don Luis Higgins..."

I had never heard of it before then. My father never castled when we played chess back then. For a while I even thought it was something the writer's made up until I looked it up at the library.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#2 Post by N1095A »

1) Nothing in life is as valuable as those close to you. Always, ALWAYS be loyal to them.
2) All a man has in life is his honor.
3) Live with humor in your life.
4) Sometimes the bad guys win, but you don't have to make it easy for them.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Artie Canoe
Captain

#3 Post by Artie Canoe »

We're talking about various wars in history and Higgins' tales have helped there. Also I've got some good movie recommendations from TM :D

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#4 Post by N1095A »

Artie Canoe wrote:We're talking about various wars in history and Higgins' tales have helped there. Also I've got some good movie recommendations from TM :D
Artie Canoe, I love that, you chose the name of a character that only those who know the show would get, AND you spelled it the way Luther pronounced it. Welcome.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Artie Canoe
Captain

#5 Post by Artie Canoe »

Thank you N1095A :wink:

MadBuck0186
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by MadBuck0186 »

I can say my love of helicopters came from Magnum P.I. when I was a kid. The show called, "Airwolf" was cool, too!

Shawn
SDM

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Steve »

Hawaiian Shirts can be cool worn with a pair of jeans. Not the image of the shirt pre-Magnum where it was worn by 1950's era Dad's at backyard barbeques. You know the guy, Brylcreem hair, horn rimmed glasses and drinking something like a Rob Roy or a Gimlet........

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#8 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

1) Having your own style is cool
2) As long as I work out I can eat all the Fig Newtons and drink all the beer I want
Last edited by IKnowWhatYoureThinking on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by Jodykmg365 »

I learned about the mow mow uprising. I had never heard of that before and found it very interesting.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#10 Post by SelleckLover »

I would have to say that history lessons, life lessons and relationships were most prevalent in the theme of the Magnum episodes. I remember the Mau Mau Rebellion, as it was sometimes known (yeah, I'm THAT old!) because we studied it in grade school under "current events". I also remember when the Berlin wall was built because I had to do a report on it, and when Alaska and Hawaii were NOT states! :D :wink:

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by MPS »

I've learned that being as charming as possible, when dealing with a unpleasant person or situation, will actually get me out of trouble. Works with the police, neighbors, the department chairperson...... :)
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?