The Guest House

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

The Guest House

#1 Post by N1095A »

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to do a blueprint of the guest house, or if anyone has any idea of dimensions.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by Jodykmg365 »

I would love to know the layout of the house. I have always wondered about it, loving it as I do. I know it is 5,000 sq. ft., but I would love to see a blueprint.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

Jodykmg365 wrote:I would love to know the layout of the house. I have always wondered about it, loving it as I do. I know it is 5,000 sq. ft., but I would love to see a blueprint.
Where'd you find out it was 5000 square feet?

It totally doesn't look that big on TV (DVD)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#4 Post by SelleckLover »

Jodykmg365 wrote:
I know it is 5,000 sq. ft., but I would love to see a blueprint.
That sure is huge. It's about 5 times bigger than my 987 sq. ft apartment I live in now!

Quigley Down Under
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#5 Post by Quigley Down Under »

Would love to see a blueprint of the guesthouse. Also, I think the reason that the in show placement differs from the actual position of the guesthouse is that it gives plenty of opportunity for Magnum and Higgins to run into eachother! If Magnum had have parked the Ferrari down where the actual guesthouse is placed he would have hardly had any reason to be near the main house.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Lily »

Having seen it from the outside, there is no way it could be 5,000 sq.ft.
Perhaps 1200 max., and thats being generous!

DarCA
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by DarCA »

The guest house can't be 5,000 square feet - my home has that much in square footage. I'm guessing it's between 500 and 1,000 square feet.
Last edited by DarCA on Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VM02
Rear Admiral

#8 Post by VM02 »

Its just the entrance Steps, elevated kitchen, (large) living room and TMs bedroom and bathroom. Theres only two closets I can think of as well, though there may be another in bathroom.

I guess its possible theres a second bedroom tucked somewhere (for Higgins in Black on White) but TM sleeps on the couch several times too.

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Miss Q »

I think the main house is probably 5000 sq ft, not the guest house....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Sam »

The confusion is caused because both the main house and guesthouse are mentioned.
Here is a sketch of the main house,I can't make heads or tails from it.
Is it possible that page 3 is the guesthouse?

http://www.honolulupropertytax.com/Sket ... p=1&Data1=

N1095A

#11 Post by N1095A »

VM02 wrote: I guess its possible theres a second bedroom tucked somewhere (for Higgins in Black on White) but TM sleeps on the couch several times too.
We never saw a second bedroom, and whenever TM has a guest, he usually slept on the couch. According to Rick Romer, the bedroom and bathroom sets were set up next to the guest house set only when needed. No mention of any other sets related to the guest house. Conclusion: No second bedroom.

I'm interested in "the 4th wall" of the guest house set. I can't remember if there was ever a shot the wall that would have been directly ahead of you if looking straight from the kitchen area. The details of the wall to your right (looking from the kitchen, I will call this the 3rd wall, as sometimes parts of it were seen) are sketchy. This would be where the double boat house doors would be on the actual building, The guest house was mostly seen looking toward the kitchen, or the wall the fireplace, steps, closet, and bedroom were on. If you notice, the bedroom is on the same wall as the entrance, but on the lower level. On the actual boat house, the lanai area would be above the bedroom/bathroom. Rick pointed out in his blog, the living area of the guest house in relation to the actual building would have been at or below sea level. I sort of agree and disagree with that, as you had to walk up from the tidal pool to get to the boat house steps. Maybe someone who has actually been there can comment on that one. Golf?

Here is an unusual shot of the boat house I found, Still looking for more.

VM02
Rear Admiral

#12 Post by VM02 »

Yes, I agree that there does not seem to be anymore rooms than those I listed. We also know that TMs bedroom has a ground level window. (From Black on White)

N1095A

#13 Post by N1095A »

A rare shot of the third wall. If my guesses were correct, the boat doors would be here. Either I'm completely off on my view of the layout, or no attempt was made to match up the boat house exterior to the guest house set. As you can see from the photo, the interior in this area would be a low ceiling, Keeping in mind that the lanai is an L shape, my guess as to the location of the bedroom could be correct, but the lower ceiling would discount the "3rd wall" being where the boat doors are.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Sam »

N1095A.
Here is a crude drawing of the guesthouse.I think what you are calling a rare shot of the 3rd wall is actually the wall on the main gate side of the guesthouse..Remember the couch faces the fireplace/bedroom/ocean wall..
http://magnum-mania.com/images/1_17_full.jpg

I don't think much of an attempt was made to lay it out to the actual GH..Also,I wouldn't say that the lanai is L shaped but rectangular.
[
Last edited by Sam on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yep. Magnum's bedroom would be directly under the lanai. The windows in the bedroom set do not match the outside (ocean side) wall of the real boathouse. It would have been a little strange, however, to have a "windowless" (and oceanside) bedroom.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!