The Guest House

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Hawaii84
Captain

#61 Post by Hawaii84 »

Looks like the stairs go from no carpet to carpet to darker carpet.

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

Re: Guest House Inside:

#62 Post by Majordomo »

erock308 wrote:Image

Are those two different couches or is it just the lighting? The patterns seem different to me.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by steveadl »

That's a pretty rare shot of the back wall. Is that the episode where Rick is cooking chilli in TM's place?

RamblerReb
Commander

Dogleg on stair.

#64 Post by RamblerReb »

I believe I know why the dogleg "appeared." That step appears to have been enlarged, necessitating the dogleg. I can only imagine that the reason was that that step was where Higgins frequently stopped to berate Magnum on his awful sax playing, some missing piece of Robin's property, his latest sordid, tawdry client showing up at the gate, etc., and the step was enlarged to accommodate John Hillerman standing there to deliver a bombastic monologue.

In the earlier picture with "Mad Buck" on the phone, the step which carries on to form the first step of the descent from the kitchen is the same depth as the rest. Later on, it is considerably deeper front-to-back than the other steps, hence the dogleg.

shawnembrey
Ensign

Additon to the boat house

#65 Post by shawnembrey »

With the quality of general contractors that we have these days, I'm sure that the current owner could have someone put an addition on the boat house and build the inside to match the set exactly. That is if she were a fan of the show. If I were the owner of that estate, I would be wearing my short shorts and driving a 308 all over the place. Hell...I am 6'4", thin with dark hair and a hairy chest. Just give me a baseball cap and you would look twice.

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by erock308 »

Welcome to the forum Shawn
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

eeyore
Admiral

#67 Post by eeyore »

There were changes in the bathroom. at one point the sink finally appeared directly opposite the door. In earlier shows it was a blank wail, maybe just a towel rack there.l. There is a tub behind the shower. The only time I recall seeing it was in Mad Buck Gibson when he is sitting in the tub shooting holes in the wall.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#68 Post by ENSHealy »

eeyore wrote:There were changes in the bathroom. at one point the sink finally appeared directly opposite the door. In earlier shows it was a blank wail, maybe just a towel rack there.l. There is a tub behind the shower. The only time I recall seeing it was in Mad Buck Gibson when he is sitting in the tub shooting holes in the wall.
You can't see the tub in the following picture (from "One More Summer") but it's clear from the sight line to the sink that it's there, or at least there is room for it to be there. I think you can just see the edge of the tub and the shadow thrown by it.

From this photo:
and the layout of the bedroom, I had always assumed that the bathroom stretched out to the left of the shower, along the full width of the bedroom. However, that did not line up with Thomas' comment in Mad Buck Gibson that Buck's shots fired in the tub could have gone through the wall and hit him. So I guess the bathroom must run as shown in the first picture above, straight back from the door.

However, unless there's a lot of bathroom space that we can't see to the left of the door, that leaves a gap in the floor plan, from the left bathroom wall over to where the fireplace/closet wall is. In other words, there doesn't appear to be anything directly behind Thomas' dresser.

Others have noted in this thread that the fantasy floor plan folks fixed this by just expanding the bathroom into that space.

I'll keep an eye out for bathroom glimpses as I go through the episodes and maybe someday start a thread just on the bathroom!
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: The Guest House

#69 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, the set decorators had some fun with the bathroom. It definitely changed several times over the course of the show's run.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by 308GUY »

"My sister LOVE little room that make rain..." :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by KENJI »

For anyone who's interested......here is the Mad Buck Gibson episode that shows the bathroom and the straight stairs Pahonu had spotted and commented earlier on in this thread.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ppgl4

If you go to around the 17:38 and 33:33 marks in this episode you can see the guesthouse bathroom in more detail (at least one version of it) and of course, Buck's masterpiece! :wink:

If you go to around the 43:30 mark you can see the stairs going up are straight in this episode. If you look at some other episodes you will spot a small flat or dog leg section where the kitchen floor meets the stairs (just a few steps up from where the couch is located). You really spot it when you look at the trim work/skirt board going up the stairs.

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by erock308 »

Anyone know of a 3D model or floorplan other than the Fantasy Floorplan?

Or at least a 3D architect program that can be used to make one up?

Would make an ideal build for a retirement cottage :magnum:

"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."