Magnum's Al's muffler caps

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

only looking
Fleet Admiral

Magnum's Al's muffler caps

#1 Post by only looking »

Debating on making a dozen Al's muffler caps like Magnuum wore on the show and "The Chinesse Typewriter". They would be the Taller 4" trucker hats with the 5 panels,red foam fronts and white mesh backs, plastic tab closure in back...just like in the series. I'm seeing how many people would be interested. The price depending on how many I make would be $25 -$30 that wold include shipping, maybe cheaper...have to figure number of hats, patches made, and shipping. Would have a prototype picture before I took on sales. I had a PPD cap made (from the Jesse Stone movies) Which looks AWESOME and It cost me $30.00. So you can see the number of hats will dictate how much of a deal I can get on the hats. :D
It made me do it Higgins!!!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#2 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I hope you can get enough people on board. I think we tried this a couple of times, and after meeting snags along the way I finally ended up making one myself. It cost more than if I had a group do it but I have my hat. I just took my camo hat and Navy SEAL patch to the embrodier and it will be ready Thursday.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#3 Post by N1095A »

What do you guys think of this? Back when Brad_NY sent me a few of the patches, I made up two hats (yes, I have a a few unused patches left). I was thinking of sending one to TM from Magnum-Mania as a gift to show our appreciation. I mentioned this before, but I'll run it by you all again. My wife thinks that A) he probably still has an "Al's" cap or more, or B) he'd likely sign it and send it back to me. Don't get me wrong, I think it'd be way cool to have an Al's cap signed by TS, but in sending it to him, I was thinking of it as sort of a token of appreciation.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I think that's a great idea. I doubt he still has the hat from over twenty years ago, but I may be wrong about that. I'm sure if you sent it to him and told him is was a token of appreciation for him he'd keep it. Here is one other thought: Think if he had an original hat, kept your hat, and signed his hat and returned it to you.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#5 Post by golfmobile »

Let me throw in my two cents' worth, which probably isn't worth that much.

Sending it to him could be favorable -- or unfavorable. Frankly, I think he probably has all the memoribilia he wants from MPI; and he might not want any more "stuff" (to use Michael's word for the things he has). And he might think we are rather weird to be duplicating things he used. But, then, the hat must mean SOMETHING to him, or he wouldn't have carried it over from "The Chinese Typewriter" to MPI. If it meant that much to him then, maybe it still does and perhaps he does still have it. So I doubt he would send his back to you, and I doubt he would want to keep a duplicate of it. Maybe it WOULD be more fun, to him, and more entertaining to him, to autograph yours and send it back so YOU have YOUR version -- but autographed! (if you want this, though, just send an SASE with it)

I understand what your intentions are in sending it to him to show our appreciation, but I think he probably doesn't want another item to keep. Heck, he might think we're all weird anyway, to analyze everything the way we do.

However, on the other hand, as long as MPI stays popular and the DVDs keep selling, then he gets a cut of that, right? And we all know how much he seems to need money (or says he does anyway).

On another hand (I'm turning into an octopus here), do we ever see him wearing a hat when he's not "in character"? Yes, Jesse Stone wears a hat, a la MPI, but whenever you see him in an interview or candid videos, he's never wearing a hat. Maybe he's tired of always wearing a hat "in character."

So I don't think it would hurt to send him the hat, but if he's not computer literate, as he claims, he's not going to know what Magnum Mania is and I don't know if he even wants to find out. Except for the money that DVD sales can bring him, I get the impression he's rather tired of MPI (more's the pity). He's just moved on since then and has done many, many things that he probably feels prouder of than Thomas Magnum. Maybe to him, it was just a job he had 20 years ago. Yes, it introduced him to the audience that has allowed him to evidence his talent in order to continue in his profession over that time period, but I honestly don't know if it means as much to him as it does to us.

I don't mean to put the kibosh on anything -- just to try to look at it from his point of view (it's hard for me to understand ANYONE so willingly computer-illiterate, because I so much enjoy our interaction here that is available ONLY because of the internet) -- but I don't know if the gesture would have the effect we would wish for.

Please forgive me if I'm out of line. As I said, just my two cents' worth.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#6 Post by N1095A »

I get what you're saying Golf. I keep thinking of Milton Collins dressing like TM and even wearing the ring and bracelet. If I were TS, I'd think that sort of thing was weird.

Carmen
MPI

#7 Post by Carmen »

Who is Milton Collins?
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#8 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

The Ripper in Death and Taxes

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#9 Post by IslandHopper »

golfmobile wrote:However, on the other hand, as long as MPI stays popular and the DVDs keep selling, then he gets a cut of that, right? And we all know how much he seems to need money (or says he does anyway).
Actually, I think I remember him saying recently that he and the other actors do not get a cut of the DVD sales. I think he mentioned that during the most recent writers strike.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Jaybird
Admiral

#10 Post by Jaybird »

Send it to him and I think he would appreciate it especially if you copied the replies on the post with the reasons we identify with the show and what it means to us. It is genuine and, afterall, we aren't stalker types or your typical fans. Everything I've read about TS indicates that he's a decent guy with a good amount of integrity and lives a fairly normal life. He would probably appreciate that we all seem to get something more from the show superficial enjoyment.

Heck! Put your return address on the envelope. Expect nothing back and see what happens. When you get to be over 60 I think you appreciate that people tell you that you made a difference in their life regardless if the impact in your life was caused by a part they played in a TV show. We had an actor become one of the greatest presidents of our lifetime!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

They get some, but not much. Unless some special deal if negotiated (see cast of Seinfeld), which isn't the case with MPI, the actors split up between 12-15 cents per DVD sold. 1 cent per DVD is chump change for Selleck.

BTW, I say send the cap. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A

#12 Post by N1095A »

Jaybird wrote:Send it to him and I think he would appreciate it especially if you copied the replies on the post with the reasons we identify with the show and what it means to us. It is genuine and, afterall, we aren't stalker types or your typical fans. Everything I've read about TS indicates that he's a decent guy with a good amount of integrity and lives a fairly normal life. He would probably appreciate that we all seem to get something more from the show superficial enjoyment.

Heck! Put your return address on the envelope. Expect nothing back and see what happens. When you get to be over 60 I think you appreciate that people tell you that you made a difference in their life regardless if the impact in your life was caused by a part they played in a TV show. We had an actor become one of the greatest presidents of our lifetime!
Interesting point. I sent TS a letter a while back, not wanting or expecting anything in return. In the letter I stated how I grew up with MPI, and I lost my dad at a very young age. Also that many of the values I live by today are directly taken from the show. A few weeks later I got a package from TM. It was a MPI era photo that he signed "Michael, thanks so much for the kind words, Tom Selleck.
Last edited by N1095A on Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by only looking »

[img][img]http://hotimg28.fotki.com/a/71_28/233_78/JesseStoneFrontview-th.jpg[/img][/img]

Hope this works. This is the Jesse Stone PPD hat that I had made just a week or so ago. This is the front view only. I will try to get the back view for you. This is the same place I'm getting the patches done, she does great work, So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Last edited by only looking on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
It made me do it Higgins!!!

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by only looking »

[img][img]http://hotimg15.fotki.com/a/71_28/233_78/JesseStoneBackview-th.jpg[/img]

This is the backview of the PPD hat which has CHIEF embroidered on the back. [/img] On every movie the chief is placed right above the back opening of the hat, but the scene where he is talking to Stephen Baldwin's character, I noticed it is on the actaul hat strap. I think it looks better this way as well as is seen more often in the films like the way I had it done.

N1095A

#15 Post by N1095A »

Interesting note to the Al's cap. I was watching a bunch of episodes the other day, and at the end of "Squeeze Play" 4:7, TM was wearing the Al's cap, and the patch was crooked. The left side was lower than the right, making the red "Tigers" stripe slightly canted.
Another interesting thing is TM's hat rack. All the caps he wore through out the series are on there, even the USC cap which was only worn in "Squeeze Play". There is also a Sherlock Holmes hat which I don't remember him wearing.
Last edited by N1095A on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.