Magnum's Al's muffler caps

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by zebra3 »

golfmobile wrote:Let me throw in my two cents' worth, which probably isn't worth that much.

Sending it to him could be favorable -- or unfavorable. Frankly, I think he probably has all the memoribilia he wants from MPI; and he might not want any more "stuff" (to use Michael's word for the things he has). And he might think we are rather weird to be duplicating things he used. But, then, the hat must mean SOMETHING to him, or he wouldn't have carried it over from "The Chinese Typewriter" to MPI. If it meant that much to him then, maybe it still does and perhaps he does still have it. So I doubt he would send his back to you, and I doubt he would want to keep a duplicate of it. Maybe it WOULD be more fun, to him, and more entertaining to him, to autograph yours and send it back so YOU have YOUR version -- but autographed! (if you want this, though, just send an SASE with it)

I understand what your intentions are in sending it to him to show our appreciation, but I think he probably doesn't want another item to keep. Heck, he might think we're all weird anyway, to analyze everything the way we do.

However, on the other hand, as long as MPI stays popular and the DVDs keep selling, then he gets a cut of that, right? And we all know how much he seems to need money (or says he does anyway).

On another hand (I'm turning into an octopus here), do we ever see him wearing a hat when he's not "in character"? Yes, Jesse Stone wears a hat, a la MPI, but whenever you see him in an interview or candid videos, he's never wearing a hat. Maybe he's tired of always wearing a hat "in character."

So I don't think it would hurt to send him the hat, but if he's not computer literate, as he claims, he's not going to know what Magnum Mania is and I don't know if he even wants to find out. Except for the money that DVD sales can bring him, I get the impression he's rather tired of MPI (more's the pity). He's just moved on since then and has done many, many things that he probably feels prouder of than Thomas Magnum. Maybe to him, it was just a job he had 20 years ago. Yes, it introduced him to the audience that has allowed him to evidence his talent in order to continue in his profession over that time period, but I honestly don't know if it means as much to him as it does to us.

I don't mean to put the kibosh on anything -- just to try to look at it from his point of view (it's hard for me to understand ANYONE so willingly computer-illiterate, because I so much enjoy our interaction here that is available ONLY because of the internet) -- but I don't know if the gesture would have the effect we would wish for.

Please forgive me if I'm out of line. As I said, just my two cents' worth.

golf
The way he talks about the show, I get the impression he is proud of it. He'll probably never speak candidly about it. As actors age, they tend to learn to love the shows they hated making. Paul Michael Glaser wanted nothing to do with Starsky and Hutch for years after the show ended, but I hear now he's made his peace with it.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Trojb
Ensign

#47 Post by Trojb »

The USC hat is not only official it is the baseball insignia (I played at USC). Tom was a walk-on on the baseball team at USC and was also a USC Sigma Chi (as a side note)

I add this because someone asked if the hat was a USC hat in another thread.