MGI Has Died and Gone to Heaven

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#76 Post by ConchRepublican »

golfmobile wrote: P.S. And more to compare what I saw to screenies from the show -- the shirt from "Memories Are Forever:"

sigh . . . . that's what I want . . . .
Hmmm . . . the pattern is different between the screen caps and the shirt on the table . . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#77 Post by golfmobile »

Yes, it appears there are at least three shirts cut from the same pattern fabric, but the layout of where the pattern falls is different for each one. I think he wore this pattern shirt is more than one episode, so the costume department probably had duplicates of the different shirts he wore repeatedly. We need to find a screenie of him in the cut of the pattern of the shirt I saw. I guess we also might want to determine what other episodes he wore this shirt in. Heck, I just took these screenies from James' episode guide. If we look at both episodes, we might find the third "mystery pattern cut" shirt. I don't have these episodes saved anywhere. Anyone have time to look? I'm not sure, but it might be easiest to spot if you look for how the top button of the shirt hits a brown leaf on each side of the shirt. (Of course, he rarely has that button buttoned, isn't that right?) Maybe look for the brown and the white "triangles" on the right collar point or the two pieces of white flower touching on the left collar point. I think it is an older shirt because the Paradise tag is different from the current Paradise Found tag (I did look at that).

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#78 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, there is definitely more than one pattern for that shirt. Here is a shot from "Try to Remember". It's the same pattern as the one worn in "Memories Are Forever"....

And here is the one that "Michael" has, from "Foiled Again"....

I think Magnum breaks some sort of record for "most shirts worn in an episode" in "Foiled Again". He wears eight different shirts in that one! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#79 Post by golfmobile »

James,

Thanks SO much! I feel so much better about that shirt now! I was beginning to be a little concerned, but I think the pattern in "Foiled Again" is dead on.

For anyone who needs details of the tag itself, this is the best I can do. I didn't take a close-up picture of the tag in that shirt, but it is definitely different from the one in the shirts I have now. Mine is on the left:

Maybe someone who is familiar with the original MPI shirts can confirm the general configuration of the tag on the one I saw?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#80 Post by golfmobile »

I got an email from Michael and he said:
I should organize a tour company that would take people on a MPI Themed Vacation, taking in ALL the Hot Spots from the show, meeting other Cast & Crew who still live here.

Everyone would leave with tons of videos and pictures from the locations. I'll call it "The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company."
I think he SHOULD. Wouldn't that be great?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#81 Post by Doc Ibold »

golfmobile wrote:I got an email from Michael and he said:
I should organize a tour company that would take people on a MPI Themed Vacation, taking in ALL the Hot Spots from the show, meeting other Cast & Crew who still live here.

Everyone would leave with tons of videos and pictures from the locations. I'll call it "The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company."
I think he SHOULD. Wouldn't that be great?

golf
I'd do it.

Thats a phenomenal idea!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#82 Post by IslandHopper »

Awesome Golf. What a trip. I didn't notice, did you get to play Ko'olau Golf Course? It's a great course.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#83 Post by rubber chicken »

Or maybe it could be called Great Hawaiian Expeditions, I'm not really sure which one I like better. :wink:

It would be great to meet and hear the stories of the cast and crew still living on the island. I wonder if they ever meet up in some form for reunion type get togethers.

ten_of_spades
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#84 Post by ten_of_spades »

Great pictures...trying not to drool here at work. A Magnum 1980-1988 belt buckle was just up for auction on eBay a month or two ago...apparently there were only around 300 or so made

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#85 Post by golfmobile »

I forgot to tell you: Our last time at the beach at the tidal pool, I picked up about a dozen little pieces of broken and worn coral and brought them home (this is not illegal, it's not unlucky lava rock!). So if anyone would like a piece of coral taken from THE tidal pool, PM me your address and I can send you a little piece of Magnum's Hawaii.

This is not SPECIAL coral -- just worn pieces from being on the beach. But it IS from the tidal pool . . . .

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Carmen
MPI

#86 Post by Carmen »

WOW, I`d love to have a tiny one, please!!!
Just imagined how the reaction of family and friends will be, when I`d show it around??!! - "Okay, and so what??" Poor ones who`ll never understand :wink:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#87 Post by golfmobile »

Carmen,

One has a hole in it. I thought it wasn't a very good piece until I thought of:

I'll send this one to you. :lol: :lol:

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Carmen
MPI

#88 Post by Carmen »

Thank you, thank you, thank you :D
Now, what`s a Diamond worth when you can own THIS???!!! :wink:
*sigh* I am glad I have a son who understands me. He will help me when everybody keeps saying "Come on Carmen, it will get better soon" :wink:

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#89 Post by golfmobile »

MGI has posted the first day of his trip to Hawaii on his blog:

Roaming MGI in Hawaii

It may be too detailed for generic consumption, but I wanted to document what all we did and felt at the time. And, hey, MGI's my guy and it's his blog, so he can do whatever he wants (and usually does!).

Hope you do find it entertaining. Oh, lordy, eight more days to organize and post! Drat that lousy internet connection while there or I could have done it day by day. Then I wouldn't be fretting so much about getting it done.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Carmen
MPI

#90 Post by Carmen »

Can`t wait for the other days reports!! Fun to read!!

BTW, my "necklace" arrived today :!: :lol:
My neighboor was with me when I opened my mailbox, she is from Turkey, her german isn`t very good and I did not try to explain the whole thing to her, but I told her my stone from Hawaii arrived and she had this astonished look on her face asking me why I would need this, aren`t there plenty much stones in my own garden?!
Thank you again golf for sending it!!!