MGI Has Died and Gone to Heaven

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Tralfaz
Admiral

#61 Post by Tralfaz »

Steve wrote:Talk about a difficult choice, but I think I would have to go with the POW/MIA bracelet.........
That would be a good one... Expecially as it is a one of a kind.

I am lusting after one of the Robin-1 Tags... I am a bit of a car guy anyway and a huge fan of the show and just the chance to have something would be awesome and honestly very meaningful.

It's funny I have been really "into" Magnum, 3 times in my life. Once when I was young during the first run. Again in early syndication, when I was actually old enough to get the show. And once more in recent years while going thru health issues/chemotherapy/etc...

Magnum has affected my life dramatically (if perhaps not directly). I live in Annapolis because I was reallly into the syndicated episodes on USA when I relocated to the Baltimore/DC metro area. I decided to visit the Naval Academy and Annapolis and decided I really liked it and ended up renting a place here.And I ended up meeting my wife at a restaurant downtown. So it was only appropriate that we ended up getting married in Oahu....and visiting the estate the next day. ;) She of course rolls her eyes when I tell the story this way, but regardless...

Anyway thanks again Golf, James, Michael, and everyone else.

Kindest Regards,

Brian
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#62 Post by SelleckLover »

Well golf...I had to keep my drooling down to a minimum while viewing your magnificent pictures!!! I think the title of this thread accurately describes ME!! I've died and gone to heaven for sure. (Well, maybe not the dying part...that phrase has a whole new meaning when you've faced it more than 3 times in one year!) Thanks soooo much for sharing... I'm still in "amazement mode!" :D :D :D

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#63 Post by golfmobile »

Now maybe you can all understand how I felt when I was looking at all this "stuff." My eyes kept getting bigger and bigger, and I just ran out of words to express how overwhelming it was -- and I was thinking of ALL of you and how lucky EYE was to be the one to be there. I felt very undeserving, because I don't know all the detail of the show that so many of you here do know. Without you all and all you have taught me, I wouldn't have been anywhere NEAR able to appreciate what I was viewing and handling -- and I'm sure it helped with "Michael" that I was able to discuss the show semi-knowledgeably. I have actually become more of a fan since learning more about the show here than I ever would have been able to observe on my own.

Larry was a sweetheart to put up with my MPI (MGI)-centric trip! And I can tell you that the first time I went to the tidal pool and the estate beach, basically as soon as I reasonably could convince Larry to stop there (not saying that was where and what it was) and when I slogged over to it, even through high tide to get to the beach -- it WAS just mind-boggling to stand THERE. I think I expressed that earlier. I don't recall chillbumps or choking up, but it was very thrilling.

And, ya know, no one else understands! I mean, most of the people in my life aren't Magnum fans, so having an MPI-centered trip to Oahu means nothing to them -- they don't "get" it. They just don't understand how exciting it was for me. It truly was a totally unique trip. And I realize how VERY lucky I was to be the one who had a trip to Oahu planned at JUST the time that Michael had made the offer of the treasures and was able to meet with someone to let them be viewed. Talk about being in the right place at the right time . . . . not my usual luck.

Now, about the MIA bracelet: I thought someone here had said that Tom Selleck kept the one he wore to honor Kenneth Lancaster, so I don't know that this was the original one that he wore in the show for five years. I'm not saying it's NOT, but probably like many of the props (e.g., the Robin 1 tag), there could have been more than one in case one got damaged or lost. However, handling or having the duplicate is still pretty special. But please tell me the facts about this issue.

Not that this is anything everyone else on the internet hasn't already seen, but . . . .

Video of the boathouse

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#64 Post by N1095A »

golfmobile wrote:
Not that this is anything everyone else on the internet hasn't already seen, but . . . .

Video of the boathouse

golf
Wow, the boathouse is even more grown up and in worse shape than i'd seen before. I do understand Mrs. Anderson's situation with finances, but it's still sad to see it in this condition. Too bad I don't live on Oahu, I'd volunteer my time to fix the place up.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#65 Post by rubber chicken »

Wow. Totally amazing. I've been without power and internet for days now (came back yesterday) due to the remnants of Ike blowing through the area so I'm just now looking at all this. That collection is mind blowing. And to think of everything you didn't see, like all the content on the videotapes! Those likely would have made for good extras on the DVDs.

That must have been an unforgettable experience and I can't wait to hear the rest of your stories.

A few things about what was posted...

If the picture labeled "rc" was a reference to me (or not)... now you know why I've never posted a picture of myself. Rubber Chickens do NOT age well. :wink:

It's interesting to note that the Murder By Night shooting schedule lists the filming dates (I assume that's what they are) as being from 12-03-86 to 12-10-86. From one Wednesday to the next Wednesday. And the air-date of the episode is 1-14-87, so that's exactly five weeks from the end of shooting to being broadcast. Though I have no idea if Christmas and New Years made that a longer than normal period.

I looked for the glued A.A.P.I. award in the next episode (Death and Taxes) but I don't think it's in any of the scenes at the estate. I could be wrong or it might have been another episode after A.A.P.I.

And out of curiosity I decided to look for the ring that Alan Hale wore in All Thieves on Deck. I think the only scene in which he had it on was his last scene where he pulls the gun after tiki is broken and the film is found. Maybe they thought the close-up shot of his hand holding the gun would be more interesting with him wearing a ring. (?)

A few shots of this particular item...

And for comparison...

(edit - replaced the first 2nd picture since it wasn't loading for me right now)
Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#66 Post by golfmobile »

Hey, rubberchicken,

We've missed you!

Thanks for the pictures showing the ring! That is SO cool!! And the "rc" on the picture was for the petrified rubber chicken, not you. Let's hope you've aged better than the MPI rubber chicken. And don't forget, Michael also had the test tube with the film in it, from that episode.

As for the boathouse looking so decrepit, we thought it didn't look as bad as the rest of the place, the fence and gates all rusted, the gates at the boat ramp at the boathouse just about falling down. Larry kept saying what a "dump" the place was.

Here's a video he got by just holding the camera up above his head, pointed at the grounds. Because he couldn't really see what he was aiming at, it's not the best, but I think this is a little more than can be seen through all the overgrown shubbery.

Tennis courts and volleyball (?) net

It almost looks as though tables and chairs are set up for a picnic or something. Or maybe those are just sawhorses for the repair work (hopefully) going on. I wish now I'd called out "good morning" to Ms. Anderson when she walked by. She might have stopped and talked for a few minutes. I would have liked to ask her what repairs are being done.

golf

P.S. And more to compare what I saw to screenies from the show -- the shirt from "Memories Are Forever:"

sigh . . . . that's what I want . . . .
"Portside, buddy."

DarCA
Rear Admiral

#67 Post by DarCA »

I'm speechless! What a wonderful oppportunity for you to view and touch and take pictures of all these items. I think if I had been there I would have fainted with joy! Thank you for sharing.
Last edited by DarCA on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#68 Post by rubber chicken »

golfmobile wrote:And don't forget, Michael also had the test tube with the film in it, from that episode.
Yeah, I should have done that too. Here's a comparison.

Image Image Image

Did you happen to look at what the images on the film actually are? I'd be impressed with their attention to detail if they really were pictures of "toy robots" but I doubt they would have gone to the trouble. The real images may be more interesting though. Perhaps unneeded footage of Magnum P.I.?
Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#69 Post by Olivier »

golfmobile wrote:It almost looks as though tables and chairs are set up for a picnic or something.
Few months ago when I was there I remember these tables and chairs. Mrs. Anderson seems to enjoy picnics in her estate. Here we can read the report of someone who participated one day at a picnic : http://www.ggrmobile.com/index.php?more=1&p=42

We can dream about a picnic especially for MPI fans in the estate.
:arrow:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by Steve »

golfmobile wrote:
And, ya know, no one else understands! I mean, most of the people in my life aren't Magnum fans, so having an MPI-centered trip to Oahu means nothing to them -- they don't "get" it. They just don't understand how exciting it was for me. It truly was a totally unique trip.

golf
Now you can experience what I and I imagine others that have been there go through when we tell friends, or for that matter anyone I hear mentioning "Hawaii" about my finding Robins Nest and frolicking in the Tidal Pool. You will get a somewhat sympathetic and almost a look of fright on their faces as they listen to you and finally exclaim, "Oh yeah, I remember that show". I want to scream out I was there!!!! I saw Rabbit Island from the same view you saw on the show! I saw the "square slab" I was on the same beach, the same water, sat on the same reataining wall! "Oh, okay. that's cool" they say and finally I will say you know Woe Fats Lair. "Woe Fats Lair! You mean Woe Fat from Hawaii 5-0! You were there!" Thank goodness for all of you...........

SelleckLover

#71 Post by SelleckLover »

Steve wrote:

You will get a somewhat sympathetic and almost a look of fright on their faces as they listen to you and finally exclaim, "Oh yeah, I remember that show".
I get that a lot too...and I also get a sort of glazed over look in their eyes that tells me they're not quite as enthusiastic as I am and are going to lose interest any minute. (My sister is excluded from that last statement. She's not a Magnum fan, but she listens to me patiently and is genuinely pleased that I'm that enthusiastic about something...LOL) My husband (Bless his heart!) indulges me in my insanity by waking me up (if I'm asleep) if/when TS is on a late nite talk show, just so I can see him. About a year or so ago, I sewed a new cloth shower curtain when I redecorated our bathroom, and when I finished sewing it, I asked him to come in the bathroom see it. As we walked down the hall, I asked him if he could guess what it looked like. He said, "It doesn't have little Tom Selleck faces on it, does it?"
Well, such is my obsession! I'm sure if TS is aware of this website, he feels either 1 of 2 things...he's either pleased that we are keeping Magnum's spirit alive, or horrified at all the potential for stalkers that inhabit the posts! But that's life as a Magnum fan, as everyone here knows, and we're proud of it!!!! (Hee Hee :D )

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#72 Post by golfmobile »

I tend to get more of the "WTF are you talking about?" looks. Do you realize some people don't even REMEMBER Magnum P.I.? Or never watched it? Un-be-lievable.

What other shows have websites like this? I loved M*A*S*H*, Cheers, Moonlighting, L.A. Law (for the first few years). But there weren't a lot of "must see TV" shows for me during that time frame (or now) (and thanks to a DVR, now they're not as much "must see" as they are "will want to watch when I have time").

I seem to spend more time HERE than watching TV. OMG! What does that say about ME?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover

#73 Post by SelleckLover »

And golf...I have to add that "CM" is right...you do have a lot of Hope Lange in you! :D

Love 'ya!
SL

Carmen
MPI

#74 Post by Carmen »

I seem to spend more time HERE than watching TV. OMG! What does that say about ME?
:D ... that you`re pretty "normal" like we all here!!
Guess we all have such experiences with friends and family. Told a friend about watching MPI daily (I haven`t told anybody in the real world that I watch more than one episode per day) and she asked if that`s the old show with the 2 guys in Miami! :shock:
So far I haven`t met someone who understood - besides my husband - thank God for that!!
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by MPS »

I think we are all prety normal. Chatting on a forum is a bit more interactive than sitting in front of a TV screen, so "YEAH, US"! :D

There are very few people out there that understand our obesssion with MPI. That's okay though. Think of all the Trekies (sp?) out there....thousand of them...people laugh about them all the time. We are a bit more discreet, thank goodness.

We are lucky that James has created such a teriffic site, where we can all hang out. :D :D
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?