MGI Has Died and Gone to Heaven

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Zeus73
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#46 Post by Zeus73 »

golfmobile wrote:I agree with SelleckLover. It was crowded enough in Waikiki for the one night that we were there that I NEVER want to have to stay there. We're on the windward side, as suggested by SL, though we are in Waimanalo, which is probably about 5-7 miles southeast of Kaneohe. But even here, the beaches can get crowded, and we picked this time so it wouldn't be as bad, since at this time most of the kiddies have gone back to school; however, it's not so much the beaches that are crowded but the parking lots for the beaches. That can create a bit of a challenge.

However, if the only time you can get here at all is not the most ideal time for a visit with respect to the tourist hoards, go whenever you can. Better to have been here at least once under any circumstances than not to have been here at all.

More later,

golf
Thanks Golf
I say...Magnum

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#47 Post by SelleckLover »

Looking at Magnum GI with all the "stuff"...it's just sensory overload for me!!! This is COOL with a capital "C"!!! :D

Carmen
MPI

#48 Post by Carmen »

oops, I automatically pushed the "Post reply" button - but I am speechless!! and jealous :wink: no, honestly I try to imagine how you feel now golf. Did you sleep the following night?? Maybe naive thinking, but could you actually buy something right there?
8)
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

layne
Vice Admiral

#49 Post by layne »

You are having the best vacation ever!! I LOVE your updates and your pics. Thank you so much golf for thinking of us back "home". I love coming on here to see what you've been up to everyday! Looks like your visit with CM was beyond amazing! Can't wait for all the details!

And once again...thanks to you James for bringing us all together! :)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#50 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:
golfmobile wrote:You would hardly believe it, but IT GETS BETTER!!! Yesterday we met with CM for five hours! We met him at his storage facility and he showed us a magnificent portion of his collection, probably the best part. But after spending so much time with him and seeing what he has, Larry and I have no doubt that he is who he claims to be. I don’t have time to tell you the full story right now, but I will do so when I have hours to tell you about it – probably on the flight home. Trust me, I will tell all! He was gracious enough to spend about two hours with us with the “stuff,” and we took pictures. And HE asked if I had MGI with me because he thought MGI should be in the pictures with the “stuff.” Therefore:

I never thought I would ever see a piece of the River Kwai Bridge!
Remarkable!
:shock:

Yes!! My "little voice" was right! I just had a feeling this guy was legit! :)
I'm so glad you had an enjoyable time with him golf! This is fantastic. MGI truly has died and gone to heaven!
golfmobile wrote:the dried out rubber chicken whose head was cut off!!!! The body was stuffed into a bag, so over the last 20 years in storage, it “petrified” into a rather stiff gobble-dee-gook lump, so I doubt it could be straightened out or it would fall apart.
LMAO!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Frodoleader »

Great photos! Excellent trip!!
Thanks for sharing with us.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#52 Post by golfmobile »

To go off-topic on MGI for a minute, here's a picture of Larry and me (I need Glamour Shots for that!) at one filiming location ("Portside, buddy"). Not the best picture of either of us, but note Larry IS wearing the black and purple version of the parrot shirt (which was seen in quite a few episodes in the first and second seasons -- I can't find my list of which exact ones right now):

Remember "Mr. Kindness CM" said I reminded him slightly of Hope Lange -- so he calls me "Hope" in our emails, and I call him "Michael" to preserve his anonimity. :wink:

Am still working on uploading all the pictures of the "treasures" and writing MGI's blog of the trip. Stay tuned! Will post a link when I have "published" it.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by MPS »

Wow, golf, CM is dead on. You do look like Hope Lange. :) How cool is that?!

It seems like it is almost time for you two to be heading home. (Just a guess.) Good luck getting MGI to leave the Islands. :lol: Have a good flight home.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#54 Post by golfmobile »

MPS,

You are too kind -- just like "Michael." And we got home at 6:30 a.m. yesterday (Thurs.). Still trying to catch up on sleep. . . . (and it was rather difficult to get MGI in the carry-on bag as he kept kicking and screaming -- the passengers kept giving me the oddest glances as they heard his screeching. . . .)

In the meantime, I've uploaded all of our pictures of the treasures to places on the web. These are, for the most part, unedited pictures, but I think you all can figure everything out. If anyone recognizes a prop from a particular episode, PLEASE feel free to identify the item by episode/usage, etc. Or ask any questions about what you see, and I'll try to provide missing information.

So here goes:

golf's pictures on Webshots (apparently I copied the link for the album as a slidehow, so it shows that way)

Larry's pictures on photobucket (if you click on the "slideshow" to the right here, it will also show as a slidedshow, if you want to see it that way)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#55 Post by J.J. Walters »

:shock:

Wow, what an amazing collection of Magnum stuff! Just incredible! I'm speechless.

Hope .... Mrs. Muir .... golf .... thank you so much for sharing all of this with us. You guys had one heck of a trip! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Steve »

Indeed!!! I am speecheless as well. I, as I am sure others, was thinking to myself what one item I would love to have it I was limited to just one.
Talk about a difficult choice, but I think I would have to go with the POW/MIA bracelet........Great job Golf, Larry and by all means not least of all, MGI.............

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#57 Post by Olivier »

golfmobile wrote: golf's pictures on Webshots (apparently I copied the link for the album as a slidehow, so it shows that way)

Larry's pictures on photobucket (if you click on the "slideshow" to the right here, it will also show as a slidedshow, if you want to see it that way)
Your pictures are incredible ! I didn' t think one day I could see this, 20 years after the end of MPI.

Tralfaz
Admiral

#58 Post by Tralfaz »

Wow Golf Thanks so much for all you did.

I can't wait to hear what's next!!

T
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#59 Post by N1095A »

Congrats Golf, and thanks so much for sharing. You've just had what would be my ultimate dream "Mike has died and gone to heaven" vacation. Imagine, just to know the rubber chicken or TM's MIA bracelet still exists this many years later! Staggering to the imagination. It's a good thing I'm not rich, because "Michael"'s collection would be mine regardless of the cost. I'd just offer him $1m for everything. I'd create an MPI museum, even if no one ever came to visit it.
I know it may sound a little nuts, but If I were ever fortunate enough to make the trip to Oahu, I'd be more than happy to just visit the beach at the Anderson Estate, Visit the still existing MPI locations, and spend a little time with the "treasures", and they truely are treasures. Just think, you handled the MIA bracelet that we watched TM wear for 5 years. Not a copy, the actual bracelet. That honestly gives me chills. Sappy, maybe, but I really am that much of a fan. The history you interacted with was unbelievable.
Last edited by N1095A on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Lily »

N1095A..... your thoughts aren't sappy at all. Whenever I go to the Anderson Estate and stand on the beach looking at Magnum's beach house, I can't help but feel a sense of loss. As expressed more than a few times on these boards, its because the Magnum series we enjoyed so much, is no longer around.