Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#76 Post by N1095A »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:RC is better than GPS!
CPS- Chicken Positioning System?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#77 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:Well the new version of the the location guide is finally finished, and it's just in time too, because I've exhausted my entire repertoire of excuses. First I want to apologize for the number of times I said this new version would be out soon, only to find out later that I was a no good liar. The problem was that each time I said it would be done I would go to finish the one particular placemark that was holding everything up - The Alexander Estate - and in working on it I'd discover new leads that needed to be followed up on, and new details that needed to be double checked, and so on and so forth. I was continually nearing the finish but it kept moving further away. It was very discouraging, and I'd often find myself moving on to an easier placemark or doing something else entirely.
I can now see why this was such a challenge for you. The history of the Alexander family and the Alexander Estate houses (Lanihau & Haumalu) is, as you so eloquently describe, very long and complex (but also very interesting). You had to do quite a bit of research, that's for sure! You came up with so much info on the families and the houses that you had to create a special web page for it, as it was slowing down Google Earth when included as part of the placemark! :shock:

http://www.drivehard.net/pirates/etc/pi ... state.html

I love how Lanihau & Haumalu were used as R&R facilities for GI's in WWII, and later as rental "party pads" for Hollywood heavies in the '50s and '60s (Kirk Douglas!).

Lots of other neat, new filming locations in this update, including:

- Building behind the "City & Country Morgue" ("Curse of the KKC") is the original H50 soundstage.
- Ann Carrington's house ("Blind Justice") is right across the street from Waielae Beech Park, the setting for KKC beach bar.
- Smith's Union Bar ("Death and Taxes")-- Cool bar!
- The Alley in "Death and Taxes", Hawaii Theatre-- So THAT'S where it is!

Gensiro Kawamoto, the Japanese real estate investor billionaire. :?

Thank you again for all the hard work you put into this RC! It's much appreciated!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#78 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Kudos RC! I'm amazed. :shock:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#79 Post by SelleckLover »

Truly a masterpiece of the Magniverse! :D

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by Sam »

Hi RC...Well done..another "Home Run" I'm amazed how you can find these locations.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#81 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks everyone, I always appreciate your comments. :)

Feel free to comment if any particular placemark interests you. I'm awed that they filmed inside Ford Island's historic Hangar 6. It was only used for temporary storage at that point, but to me it was truly hallowed ground.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#82 Post by Doc Ibold »

rubber chicken wrote:Thanks everyone, I always appreciate your comments. :)

Feel free to comment if any particular placemark interests you. I'm awed that they filmed inside Ford Island's historic Hangar 6. It was only used for temporary storage at that point, but to me it was truly hallowed ground.
R.C.

Forgive my ignorance, but whats so historic about Ford Island and Hanger 6?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#83 Post by J.J. Walters »

It's all right there in the guide, Doc.

Here is a small sample of what he has in there about Hanger 6...
Rubber Chicken's Guide wrote:"Hangar 6 is believed to be the oldest aircraft hangar in Hawaii. It played an unglamorous but significant role in the development of naval aviation in the Pacific and in the World War II offensive against Japan. The building was damaged in the December 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor."

"There were few combat planes on Ford Island that morning [December 7, 1941] (they were aboard the U.S. carriers, which were at sea), but there were 35 PBY patrol planes and 31 utility aircraft at the air station. Most of these planes were parked near Hangar 6, and 26 planes on Ford Island were destroyed by strafing and bomb blasts. Of the approximately dozen bombs that hit the island, seven landed on or near Hangar 6. One incendiary bomb struck the building and started a fire which gutted the northeast quadrant of the structure. Efforts to fight the fire were made futile by a rupture in the island's water main, caused by the battleship USS Arizona sinking and settling on the line that supplied water to Ford Island. [...] Five bombs landed near Hangar 6, with the largest producing a crater 20 feet wide and seven feet deep. [...] The fire left the steel frame of Hangar 6 intact, and the building was soon replaced." Due to the airfield at Ford Island being too short for jet airplanes "... the air station was decommissioned on March 31, 1962. Hangar 6 has been used since then, and is presently [August, 1985] being used, as a temporary storage facility." The Hangar was demolished later that year.
:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#84 Post by Doc Ibold »

I shall shut up now.

:oops:

Sorry R.C.,

I'll be the first to admit I haven't read through the guide, but will be the first to say that whatever is in there is GOLD, checking in on the details of your posts.

(Sorry, a lot of time browsing is spent at work, so I only have a good 3 mins or so get get in my forum time!)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#85 Post by rubber chicken »

That's ok Doc, because of your post a summary of the history is now included in this thread, and that's nice. Thanks for your complement. :)

And thanks James for posting the excerpts. There is much much more in the placemark including some great photos. That location took quite a while to research, finding info in a number of out of the way corners of the web.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by Danno »

All hail, Rubber Chicken!
I'm heading to Hawaii in March next year at long last. This is better than a Lonely Planet guide!!!

8)
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by Sam »

Bump

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by steveadl »

RC, awesome map mate! One question that I have, why on every place marker (ie. yellow pin) does it have the same info at least twice, sometimes 3 times? ie. you click the yellow pin, it expands to 2/3 more pins, but each pin has the same blurb and episode photos?

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#89 Post by rubber chicken »

Hmm, I don't think I've ever experienced that. I assume you're using the latest version, 5.1? And since you say it's the same info I guess when it happens you're zoomed in enough to where there's only one place marker in the immediate area?

It could be a bug that I don't know about. I use a Mac so if there's something that goes wrong in the Windows version of Google Earth, I wouldn't know about it. Maybe a screen shot would be helpful. (?)

Does this happen for anyone else here?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by Sam »

RC, I get the same deal.