Magnum near gear or the poor man's Magnum p.i.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#61 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I had a silver one when I was in that had my ship on it like TM has the SWO insignia. I remember on one of my belt buckles the ship fell off, so you could possibly find a regular ships belt buckle that would work. I wish I still had some of the old belt buckles and I'd just give you one. I'll keep a heads up in the surplus stores around here.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#62 Post by N1095A »

I appreciate that. I can't believe how hard it is to find something this simple.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#63 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I know! If only I had known about this when I was in the Navy years ago I could've had buckles galore!

N1095A

#64 Post by N1095A »

I tell ya' I'd really like to get some information from the prop or wardrobe designers on the show to see who came up with that one. It was obviously made just for the show. I'd love to hear any stories behind it.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#65 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I know, that would be interesting. The thing is that today the way things are marketed there is a possibility some of these "props" would be able to be purchased at the shows website, or something similar to that.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by only looking »

It's amazing on how hard it is to find or replicate some of this stuff. I thought about trying to track down some of the costume/wardrobe department but haven't yet been able to. I recently found a People magazine special covering the 80's...movies, tv, etc. and in it there's a small picture of Magnum and in the photo he's wearing a standard web belt but with the silver buckle with emblem on it.So I guess it goes to show..2 different Al's mufflers hats, 2 different camo hats,2 different belts. Of course several different guns.......GOOD GRIEF :? LOL Hey you guys have a great new year.
It made me do it Higgins!!!

N1095A

Silver 3"buckle on Ebay now!

#67 Post by N1095A »

The guy I bought the USS Racine (above) buckle from put a plain buckle on Ebay yesterday. I emailed him, and he said he had another one he'd exchange for the one I bought. That leaves the one on Ebay up for grabs. If anyone here wants to make a MPI buckle, this is a golden oppertunity.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZIPPO-BELT-BUCKLE-s ... dZViewItem

I thought about buying it myself as a back up or to make a second MPI buckle, but I figured I'd let you guys have at it. It's very simple to make a copy of TM's buckle with this. All you need is a minature Special Operations Officer pin from http://www.uniforms-4u.com, A roll of 3M auto adhesive trim tape to mount the pin, and have it engraved.
The buckles end at around $20, Figure $20 for the pin with shipping, and a nominal charge for the engraving. It should be around $50 complete.

Dakota Ellison
Lieutenant

#68 Post by Dakota Ellison »

Glad to see a couple of buckles show up. Good luck with your efforts. The engraving on mine was around 15 dollars. A trophy and plaque shop should have the best choice of engraving fonts.

N1095A

#69 Post by N1095A »

Thanks, It's been a long road. As for the engraving, I'm debating on that vs. using raised letters. I'm researching everything from doll house letters to charm bracelet letters. My concern with the raised letters (If I can find some) is keeping them in place with the 3M tape. I think engraving would definately be more durable. We'll see what I come up with.

*Just a side note here, I received the buckle today. It's just a little bit narrower than the 3" buckle TM wore. It's much wider than a standard web belt buckle, but still not quite 3". it is however, a very well made buckle, and in my opinion worth the trade-off in size. The plain buckle is still on Ebay, and as of now is at $0.99, with a lottle over 2 days left.

Dakota Ellison
Lieutenant

#70 Post by Dakota Ellison »

Just wondered how your buckle project was doing N1095A?

N1095A

#71 Post by N1095A »

Dakota Ellison wrote:Just wondered how your buckle project was doing N1095A?
The project is sort of on hold for a couple of reasons. 1st is that I don't have the money to invest in it right now. 6 months of unemployment will do that. 2nd, I settled for the Zippo buckle that's slightly narrower than the Hap Arnold buckle. I purchased a Special ops officer mini badge, and used the 3m tape to attach it. The buckle is so shiney (smooth) the tape doesn't hold it firm. I suspect the badge size has something to do with that as well. I will need to buy another badge, leave the pins on, and drill small holes in the buckle for them to go through to keep it from moving. 3rd, I'm not very pleased with my local engraving options. I do have a lazer engraving place that can go through the nickel to the brass, and that might be an option. I'm still holding out for some type of raised lettering.
Sorry for the blurry shot. Trying to hold the buckle still while working the webcam. :roll:
Thanks for your interest.
Mike

TankTop44
Commander

#72 Post by TankTop44 »

I just purchase my first pair of Sperry Topsiders! Nice, great shoe! They look good with my Levi's, I may not have the courage to get some 80's short shorts to wear! haha

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#73 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I hope none of us have the courage for the short shorts!

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by only looking »

I watched a multi part docummentary on the navy seals, class 234, not sure what year it covered, but they were still wearing the udt trunks/shorts that Magnum wore in the series. It was kind of neat to see some of the training that Magnum would have gone through, though I know the training is somewhat different today then it was when the seals were first started.
It made me do it Higgins!!!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Haha, this thread made me laugh.

I recently bought a Cross of Lorraine ring off of ebay; it's not perfect but of reasonable quality.

In recent months I've bought several Hawaiian-style shirts, none of them exact matches, but I do have a red one that is passably similar to T.M.'s famous one.

I also have a green vest top that is identical to the one Magnum often wore.

I have a VMO2 Da Nang badge which I attatched to a cap, but I'm looking out for a better (and darker blue) cap to transfer it to.

I have cheap sunglasses that are passable, though personally I usually wear biker-style shades.

Okay, I'm a freak. And proud of it!! :lol: :lol:

(But no, even I don't have the courage for the short shorts!)
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!