Magnum near gear or the poor man's Magnum p.i.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Dakota Ellison
Lieutenant

#31 Post by Dakota Ellison »

I seems that the buckles with smaller badges are glued and plated. When I removed the Hap Arnold badge there was still an imprint of the badge, thus the need for stripping
There is a company in Atlanta called Estes-Simon. I took the buckle to them and they were able to strip and replate with nickle for 25 dollars. As luck would have it, they are next door to a trophy engraving shop. They did the engraving for 15 dollars. You can see what with the price of the buckle and surface warfare pin, this got rather expensive. Thanks for the tip on the 3M tape. I'll check it out. The badge is pot metal with brass plating and can't be bent to conform with the curve of the buckle, so the edges are not flush. Good luck on yours.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#32 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Very nice work Dakota! It may have cost you a little bit, but for that gem it is well worth it!

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by only looking »

BRAVO!!!!! :shock: ...You did an an amazing job on that buckle.Isn't funny how you'd think making a simple belt buckle replica would be easy and cheap....WRONG!! LOL I know the Hap Arnold Buckle is like $30.00, but they have a naval aviator buckle and a few others for $18.99 I wonder if those pins/badges would also come off? I couldn't fin the surface warfare pin you used could you supply the link or give the product number...PLEASE :D . If we could only find the manufacturer of the buckles, buy them in 20 or so bulk..blanks that is no pins ans then buy the wardare pins we could buy these things cheaper. Heck if we could find a place that even makes and does custom work and give them your photo of the belt...we could even make it easier for all.I swear it's sad, but your bely buckle REALLY REALLY made up for a BAd day today...so thanks!
It made me do it Higgins!!!

Dakota Ellison
Lieutenant

#34 Post by Dakota Ellison »

Look under Navy Breast Insignia. Be sure to pick the miniture size. That's what I was trying to do; find the buckle with the smallest badge. Glad you like the one I had made.

ten_of_spades
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#35 Post by ten_of_spades »

I found this one on eBay. It needs a polish, but the insignia seems about the right size (bolted on, too).

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by only looking »

Does anyone know on uniforms-4u.com, if the 3" buckles with the gold finish is polished brass, or coating. If it's brass I can just buy one of them and have it engraved then nickle coated that would elimited the process of having it stripped, actually a stainless steel would be the best, pop off the old emblem, polish up the stainless still to a mirror finish, have it engraved and put on the new pin.But I believe all the silver buckles on there are coated nickle...aren't they?

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#37 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I believe they are polished brass, but I am not 100% positive.

Dakota Ellison
Lieutenant

#38 Post by Dakota Ellison »

I'm pretty sure they are all brass with plating. At least the one I made was. They are engraved "Solid Brass" on the back.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#39 Post by N1095A »

Just a thought here, but is it possible the badge on TM's buckle is this?
This is the Special Operations Officer badge, It would make more sence than the Surface Warfare badge, being that TM was a SEAL. Also, without seeing it closely, it would look like the SW badge. Just a thought.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#40 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I never understood why TM didn't have the SEAL buckle. That could be the one he wears, but I don't think I've ever seen the buckle close enough to notice it.
Last edited by IKnowWhatYoureThinking on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dakota Ellison
Lieutenant

#41 Post by Dakota Ellison »

I zoomed this photo and I think you are right. You can make out a vertical projection to the left of the prow and a sort of block to the right of the prow. Also, could the letters be raised instead of engraved???

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#42 Post by N1095A »

I'm looking up the US manufacturers of the web belt buckles now to see if a plain buckle can be had. As for the raised letters, from your picture, I can see where that might be the case. The letters also appear to be gold in color. I have no idea how that could be done. I'd be very happy with your ingraved version, if I could buy the buckle plain, and figure out the correct badge. The two badges are so similar, it's hard to tell. I want to take a look at the emblem on TM's uniform in early episodes. That might clear up which badge is on the buckle.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#43 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I've tried and I just can't get a picture that has the buckle close enough. I'd love to know which buckle he wears.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by only looking »

Over on another forum...the DA NANG one that's listed in the IMDB, they were pretty sure it was the surface waredare and that the letters were raised...but not for sure if it's correct or not.Can't remember what they found or homework they did. Wish we could get in contact with the wardrobe person who did MAGNUM PI, hey Maybe they guy who played Rick would know?..... BY the way HAPPY THANKSGIVING guys and girls. Also anyone ever find the oversized od green duffel bag of Magnum's. The one with the 3 bands across it and with 2 straps. It's seen when he's living to go see the Army/Navy game but instead has to help Carol on a case because of the mob...can't remember the episode. Also anyone have that game as well. Be kind of neat to watch the full game wouldn't it?

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#45 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I saw Don't Say Goodbye again this weekend and he had a plain buckle instead of one with the insignia on it. I still think this is a Surface Warfare buckle but have no hard evidence.