Magnum near gear or the poor man's Magnum p.i.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

kudubuck
Lieutenant

Magnum near gear or the poor man's Magnum p.i.

#1 Post by kudubuck »

I know that there is a Poor Man's James Bond and I know that there is, or could be, a Poor Man's Magnum p.i. For example, I have heard that someone had bought a red Pontiac Fiero because he couldn't afford Ferrari. There are, I'm sure, other examples and I will start with my own "Near Gear'.

I can't afford a Rolex GMT so I bought the Seiko version with the red and blue bezel. I still wear the watch today.

I have had numerous aloha shirts, however none with the exact pattern as TMs. I still have two, the others were given to the Good Will.

I owned a pair of the UDT swim trunks that were worn by TM. The wife gave them to the Good Will.

I have had several pairs of shorts that were very Magnum-ish, some I hemmed to about a three or four inch inseam (it was the eighties, don't judge). These were also given to the Good Will.

I ordered the OD green shirt from LL Bean and wore it for years until it got a stain that wouldn't come out. My wife sent it to the Good Will also.I have since bought another one.

I've had grey NAVY t-shirts, a Detroit Tigers cap (worn until the sweat band was dirty and worn out, a VMO2 Danang cap(given to the Good Will), a camouflage cap with the SEAL emblem (given to the Good Will).

I have a team ring (the cheap one). It's hidden along with the SEAL belt buckle, so that they don't wind up at the Good Will.

I never could afford Ray Ban sunglasses but I went to Walgreens and found aviator styled sunglasses for three bucks. I bought three pair, one for the car, one for work and one for the wife's car. Now, thanks to my age, I have to wear perscription glasses, aviators.

Well, I thought that I would share some of the Magnum stuff that I have had over the years and hope that some of the fans will share their gear, or near gear with the rest of us. I'm going down to the Good Will store.

Thanks,
I'm gonna make it, Dad.

Carmen
MPI

#2 Post by Carmen »

I made my husband go to the carnival wearing an aloha-shirt, short shorts and Pumas 20 years ago. Everybody asked why he doesn`t wear a fancy costume(word??) :shock:
Does that count?? :roll:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

PhatCat
Admiral

#3 Post by PhatCat »

How'd you like the UDT swim shorts? I'm thinking of getting a pair.

BR

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#4 Post by SelleckLover »

Wow, kudubuck...sounds like the Goodwill hit the jackpot!

Jaybird
Admiral

#5 Post by Jaybird »

Uhhhh.....! I am in the process of acquiring what I can in"near gear."
The watch is a Zodiac Sea Wolf. This watch could have been Magnum's!
It was the SEAL watch during Vietnam. I have the Kam t-shirt. I buy my aloha shirts on eBay...Paradise Found brand. Still working on the classic red jungle bird. I simply cannot bring myself to pay $50 for a new one!
If I wore the UDT shorts my daughters and wife would have me committed. Plus, I live too close to the Bay Area. I have my Navy shirts from back in the day. I have the aviator glasses from that era, too. I have a Colt 1911 that my dad bought in the 50's or 60's when the NRA was selling them for $5! That's correct. $5...! I wouldn't wear the VMO2
Da Nang cap as I didn't serve there but I have the HAL 3 cap and that is close , believe me. Binh Thuy was enough of a hole to qualify.
I think you have to adapt. Be yourself but with a Magnum flava!

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by Jodykmg365 »

I love Hawaiian shirts. On ebay the ones for men aren't that expensive, but the one's for women can be outragious. :roll:

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Miss Q »

I have a VM02 hat, a naval academy tshirt I picked up in Annapolis and, well, I drive a red Grand Prix... maybe my inner Magum made me buy it....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

kudubuck
Lieutenant

#8 Post by kudubuck »

The UDT trunks were a bit short for my taste. I compromised and went with trunks from SPEEDO with about a three or four inch inseam.

I neglected to mention my fake Rolex. Did you know that they are not waterproof? They're not. I had a friend of mine pick me one up several years ago. She went to New York to help with identifying bodies after 9-11. She brought it back and I wore it in the pool. oops.
I'm gonna make it, Dad.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#9 Post by N1095A »

kudubuck wrote:The UDT trunks were a bit short for my taste. I compromised and went with trunks from SPEEDO with about a three or four inch inseam.

I neglected to mention my fake Rolex. Did you know that they are not waterproof? They're not. I had a friend of mine pick me one up several years ago. She went to New York to help with identifying bodies after 9-11. She brought it back and I wore it in the pool. oops.
Definately be very careful when taking a fake Rolex in the water. Typically the lack of water resistance is due to the case back not being screwed on tight. Most replicas have it screwed on snug tight. Some don't have the rubber gasket in the case back. Replicas can be water proofed to 30 mtetrs for a reasonable cost by a qualified watch repair place. The replica site mentioned in the "Magnum Gear" section offers water proofing for $50.
That being said, I currently have a cheap replica purchased from a seller that I would not reccomend. I've worn it swimming several times, and have had no problems with water tightness. I have had other problems, but not with water tightness.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Steve »

I love Hawaiian shirts as well and own about a dozen including two of the Magnum,p.i. Paradise Found Shirts in black and two in red. I haven't checked the price lately, but I know I didn't pay over $49.95 for them a few years back. By the way, for you afficianado's, the Paradise Found brand of shirts with the bamboo buttons seem to last forever and don't fade or fall apart like so many other Hawaiian shirts I have bought over the years.........

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#11 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Golf led me to a watch that was kind of like the Rolex. I paid around twenty dollars after shipping, and I have been in the water several times with it and had no issue. I have only had this watch a few months and feel as if I have already gotten my monies worth.

PhatCat
Admiral

#12 Post by PhatCat »

Is this the right replica of a Magnum's rolex? Specifically is that the right band? I can never remember the difference.

http://www.replicasi.com/productInfo.as ... rodID=1548

$186 is a pretty good deal...

Bill

N1095A

#13 Post by N1095A »

PhatCat wrote:Is this the right replica of a Magnum's rolex? Specifically is that the right band? I can never remember the difference.

http://www.replicasi.com/productInfo.as ... rodID=1548

$186 is a pretty good deal...

Bill
I bought the same replica. Within 3 days the hands fell off. They replaced the watch, but now the replacement has swirl marks on the dial. Replica.si is widely known as a rip off. I highly suggest before spending your money you get aquainted with this site http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/
There you can learn more than you ever wanted to know about fake Rolexes.
This http://www.joshwatch.com/ is the new website for Perfect Clones. The best replicas are there and Josh is a reliable seller. Remember that it is illegal to make or sell replica Rolexes, and by nature those who traffic in them are seedy.
This http://www.joshwatch.com/rlgv10002-vint ... -2260.html is a replica of the model worn by TM, but it has a plastic crystal, as did the real Rolex.
If you want a sapphire crystal this http://www.joshwatch.com/rlgs10009-retr ... -3493.html is the replica you want. This one happens to be the best fake Rolex on the market. Please PLEASE before purchasing any replica Rolex, do some research. The Replica Watch Guide is a highly useful tool, and the people there are friendly.
Last edited by N1095A on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mc25a
Lieutenant

#14 Post by mc25a »

Just remember when you buy a "replica" watch you are buying a forgery. Regardless of how they spin it, they are ripping off the manufacturer. I should think that they wouldn't mind ripping off the customer as well.

I would suggest a real Invicta or Orient. They won't be identical, but pretty close to the look you are looking for. Cheaper too than many of the replicas. My Invicta 9094 is a diver's watch with a rotating bezel similar to the rolex submariner. Many people comment on my "Rolex". It has a japanese automatic movement (Miyota who also makes movements for Citizen) and is accurate within about 2 seconds (Rolex requires 6 seconds of their watches) a day. I swim and snorkel with it a lot and have no reason to doubt (or test) it's 200 meter waterproof rating. Cost was $86.00 on sale, I see them around $100.00 all the time. For $300 or so you can get an all Swiss version with Sapphire crystal. Invicta is an old swiss watch company with a huge product line. It's also expanding all the time, so who knows, they may put out a GMT watch soon.

N1095A

#15 Post by N1095A »

If you don't mind that it doesn't say "Rolex" How about this one?
It's the Alpha GMT Diver.

They go for around $30 on Ebay.