Magnum near gear or the poor man's Magnum p.i.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

PhatCat
Admiral

#16 Post by PhatCat »

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

It's not that I want to rip off rolex but it's hard to cough up thousands for a watch.

You're right, I should probably look at something similar rather than a replica.

Much appreciated.

Bill

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#17 Post by golfmobile »

I got the women's Invicta watch with Pepsi bevel for $65. I rarely wear it because the face is too small for my taste. I got a men's Persio stainless steel watch with Pepsi bevel on eBay for $9.99 plus $10 shipping, and it's probably close to the Rolex without the fake Rolex name on the dial. I believe it will be water resistant, because I also got a women's Pepsi bevel Persio dive watch for the same price, though gold-tone (and I just prefer gold-tone) and it has been in salt water with me snorkeling here in Hawaii, and it's still running fine. The SS men's watch will go in the water at the tidal pool tomorrow a.m. I would assume because the first one is fine, the large men's Persio will be too. Pretty good water watch (I don't really "dive"!!) for $20.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#18 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

The Periso is waterproof, but I am not sure to what depth. I wor it all summer in the pool without a problem.

kudubuck
Lieutenant

#19 Post by kudubuck »

I've got the Seiko Diver's watch for about 200 on the internet. It is real close to TM's Rolex and waterproof to 300 meters. I did have to get another band for it. It is just like the Rolex band but it had Seikos name on it. I usually get diver's watches because they take a beating. They have a thicker crystal and are more shock resistant.
I'm gonna make it, Dad.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#20 Post by N1095A »

I have a Seiko Diver with the correct band that I'd part with for $200.
Incidentally, There is a shot of TM diving in "KAPU" where the watch he's wearing is the Seiko Diver.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

kudubuck
Lieutenant

#21 Post by kudubuck »

I have the Seiko Diver's SKX 175 model that I changed the band on. It comes with a metal band but it has smaller links in it. I saw it at ewatches.com for around $250.00.

That Alpha Diver's looks real good too.
I'm gonna make it, Dad.

mc25a
Lieutenant

#22 Post by mc25a »

I wouldn't feel particularly bad about buying a fake rolex, rather my point is that you never know what you are getting in a fake. 200-300 dollars seems cheap compared to a rolex, but they are often the same watches selling for $10.00 in China.

Here's a Seiko that goes for a little over $100.00:

http://justcalculators.com/Seiko-Mens-3 ... ce=froogle

Dakota Ellison
Lieutenant

#23 Post by Dakota Ellison »

I have a couple of questions about the belt buckle. Does anyone have a screen capture of it? It's said that it's a Navy surface War insignia but the insignia on the one I see at uniforms.com looks too big. Was the one Magnum wore a smaller insignia? And is the background on Magnum's buckle brass or silver/stainless? I can't seem to find a scene with a good close up. Thanks
Mike

N1095A

#24 Post by N1095A »

The insignia on the uniforms.com site is bigger than TM's. TM's has a smaller gold colored insignia a little high of center on a silver buckle, and the word "MAGNUM" engraved in block letters below the insignia.

Dakota Ellison
Lieutenant

#25 Post by Dakota Ellison »

That's what I thought. Thanks
Last edited by Dakota Ellison on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by only looking »

If anyone makes up one of these belt buckles, contact me. I'd really like one as well. :D
It made me do it Higgins!!!

N1095A

#27 Post by N1095A »

The problem in making the buckle is this. The 3" wide buckles all have insignias on them. You just can't get a plain silver 3" web belt buckle. You could buy one of the ones from uniforms.com, but they have 2 holes in them for mounting the insignia. The smaller surface warfare insignia can be purchased at any Army Navy store, and the engraving can be done anywhere. If anyone could find a source for a 3" silver buckle with no insignia, post that source ASAP. Believe me, I've done exhaustive searching.

Dakota Ellison
Lieutenant

#28 Post by Dakota Ellison »

If the smaller insignia would cover the holes, one could drill out the old insignia posts and drill new holes for the new insignia. I've also searched Google looking for a plain silver 3 inch buckle, without success. One site had, I think, a Hap Arnold buckle, which had a fairly small insignia. I have to find one of those Surface War pins to see how big they are, and go from there.

Dakota Ellison
Lieutenant

#29 Post by Dakota Ellison »

Well, here's my submission for the buckle. I got the Hap Arnold buckle from uniforms-4u.com and removed the badge . No holes, but I had to get the plating stripped, get it engraved, then plated again. The pin is also from uniforms-4u, the miniture one, which I simply superglued to the buckle. The pin/badge is about the right size, but I should have gotten the engraving a little smaller. I like it anyway.

N1095A

#30 Post by N1095A »

Dakota Ellison wrote:Well, here's my submission for the buckle. I got the Hap Arnold buckle from uniforms-4u.com and removed the badge . No holes, but I had to get the plating stripped, get it engraved, then plated again. The pin is also from uniforms-4u, the miniture one, which I simply superglued to the buckle. The pin/badge is about the right size, but I should have gotten the engraving a little smaller. I like it anyway.

Outstanding!!! Instead of Super Glue you should try 3M automotive trim adhesive tape. Trust me, it will never come off with that stuff. You just have to carefully trim the tape from around the emblem with an X-acto knife. I made one with a SEAL pin, and I can't pry it off. If you want to try this, I have a roll of gray 3M tape that would conceal easily, and I'd be happy to share. I'm curious, how did you get the plating stripped off, and then have it re coated? Is there a company that will do this? Have a link? I want one of these. As you said, the engraving might be a little big, but it looks awsome. Are you sure you're not "Michael" the guy who has the original props? :lol: :lol:
James, Please, Please put a copy of the photo of this masterpiece in the "Magnum Gear" section.