If the series began in 2008......?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Jaybird
Admiral

If the series began in 2008......?

#1 Post by Jaybird »

TM would have been USNA Class of '94 or thereabouts. He would have been involved in which military actions? What episodes wouldn't work if he fought in the desert vis-a-vis the jungle?

What else would have changed?
Where would he live? Hawaii? (I hope!) What would he drive? How would Mr. Masters have made his money? Would TM have used a Colt 1911 or ?
What about Rick and TC? Would anything be different? Being set in the tech age, would TM use the internet or CSI type stuff to solve cases? If he relied upon deduction and instinct would he appeal to viewers in their late 30's (like me in the 80's)? Which actor out there could play a decent Magnum? Keanu Reeves? George Clooney? Heck! I don't know! Would he be a fitness junkie? Personally, I think he would paddle an OC-1 versus a surfski and maybe belong to an outrigger canoe club (if he lived in Hawaii, of course)
Most importantly, 20 years later would there be any interest in a TM kinda guy? (Yes and yes!)

I'd like to see what we come up with. Apologies if this topic has been beaten to death before.

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by MPS »

The show would be so different if it started today. Some of the things about TM that are so exasperating (and funny) just wouldn't work today. Think of all the times Rick, TC and Higgins (not to mention clients) are waiting for TM. Where is he? He's an hour, or more late, why? These scenes are so common in the show. Now someone would just call him.

Entire episodes based on characters getting stranded or stuck would lose their impact. They wouldn't work anymore. Just think of Solo Flight if TM had a cell phone. Same thing with Paper War, Operation Silent Night and Autumn Warrior.

There wouldn't be any airport confusion (Summer School, Out of Sync) that introduces an entire theme.

The show could be made today. Thomas would still listen to his "little voice". He would still have Rick, TC and Higgins, but the tone would be different, somwhat darker. JMHO
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Carmen
MPI

#3 Post by Carmen »

So MPS, you want to say we live in a dark time now??
Just kidding, know what you mean...
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#4 Post by ConchRepublican »

Carmen wrote:So MPS, you want to say we live in a dark time now??
Just kidding, know what you mean...
Less carefree maybe?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by lutherhgillis »

Less carefree, totally. You have to remember, part of the MPI success was its timing. The 80s were sort of a carefree and happy-go-lucky time as compared to today.

Most shows today are dark and bloody. When someone gets shot, we see blood, brains, and skull fragments splatter everywhere. MPI did not function this way. Sometimes we didn't even see blood!

Times today are less aloof and more tied to reality (hence the success of all the reality-based contest shows). MPI would be totally different is made today. It would probably stink...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

lutherhgillis wrote:Times today are less aloof and more tied to reality (hence the success of all the reality-based contest shows).
Oh, the irony! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MPS »

lutherhgillis wrote:Less carefree, totally. You have to remember, part of the MPI success was its timing. The 80s were sort of a carefree and happy-go-lucky time as compared to today.

Most shows today are dark and bloody. When someone gets shot, we see blood, brains, and skull fragments splatter everywhere. MPI did not function this way. Sometimes we didn't even see blood!
That's what I was trying to say. Shows today are much closer to what you see on the news than MPI ever was. How many shows are on currently, and have a detective/investigative theme, and start at 8:00 pm? MPI could start at 8:00 because, in many cases, it was appropriate for kids to see. I don't think I'd want a 12 year old watching CSI...too many bad dreams. (Come to think of it, I've never seen CSI :oops: )
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Carmen
MPI

#8 Post by Carmen »

Good for you MPS :D
Funny, MPI is locked on RTL Crime channel every time when it`s aired before 10.oo p.m. , but they do unlocked commercials for CSI and stuff like that during the day. :x
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by MaximRecoil »

You can still have similar scenarios even with cell phones. Movies and TV today usually work around that by having the cell phone be out of service range, be broken, be turned off, etc. The concept of mobile communication isn't a new one. Look at the Dukes of Hazzard, which is a slightly older show than Magnum PI. Everyone in that show had CB radios, which accomplished the same thing as cell phones, since people rarely left Hazzard in that show and were generally in range and were in a vehicle probably 50% of the time at least (most of the buildings had a CB too). Of course, when they needed a lack of mobile communication as a plot device, they would have someone be out of range or whatever, same as they do today with cell phones.

I don't know what sort of war or conflict Magnum could have been a part of. The Gulf War seems too minor, and the Iraq War is too recent and/or still going on. I guess having him be involved early on in the Iraq War would be better than the Gulf War, but still, it would give a completely different feel than being a Vietnam veteran; especially if he served the same three tours that the original Magnum did, which is at least 3 years, meaning he got out in 2006 or so, which was only 2 years ago.

Regarding the Colt 1911, there's no reason why he couldn't still use one of those. 1911-type guns are more popular today than ever before. In the past decade or so, there have been no less than 5 major companies which have started making 1911-type guns, including Smith & Wesson, Kimber, SIG Sauer, Taurus, and Dan Wesson, not to mention the lesser known companies such as Norinco, Rock Island Armory, High Standard, Charles Daley; and the custom makers such as Nighthawk, Rock River Arms, etc.

When Magnum PI started, if you wanted a 1911-type gun you got a Colt. There were a handful of others on the market (Springfield Armory and Auto-Ordance mainly) but they weren't very good at the time. There are enough 1911 makers out there now to sink a battleship, with no signs of slowing down.

Now the military switched from the 1911 to the M9 (military version of the Beretta M92) in 1985, but there are still many special operations type groups in the military that use the 1911 by choice, so with a modern day Magnum having been a Navy SEAL, he may have still used a 1911 while in the current-day military. There are also certain government agencies that use the 1911, including certain segments of the FBI.

They would probably have it be one of the 1911s with all the bells and whistles like are all the rage these days from the likes of Kimber, Springfield Armory, etc., which would be annoying IMO, because I prefer box-stock Colt Government Models, like the original Magnum carried—but it would still be better than seeing Magnum carry Tupperware (e.g., a Glock).

Magnum would no doubt make good use of the internet, given that he had no problem getting information from NIA networks (usually with the help of Mac) in the original series.

He could still use the Ferrari, only now the 308 would be a classic rather than a current car. A Ferrari of any year is still a head turner. That will never change.

I don't see any reason to not use Hawaii as the location.

Robin Masters could still be a writer. He'd have to be a really successful one though, on the level of Stephen King, to have the amount of money that he should have.

The main problem would be the actors. Selleck, Hillerman, Mosley, and Manetti were a lightning strike, especially Selleck and Hillerman; and between the two, Selleck is downright irreplaceable IMO. Hard to get lightning to strike twice in the same spot.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#10 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I think the show would have a much more business feel to it. Also, I whereas TM is a loveable guy I think in today's time he would be likeable. I would also miss the way he obtains his information and uses his intuition, something I believe that would be lacking in today's scripts.

Jaybird
Admiral

#11 Post by Jaybird »

Ok...so I think it could be rewritten today just like you see in alot of movies. I think that Keanu Reeves could actually make a decent Magnum.
I'd have to think a bit regarding Rick and TC (Will Smith?). Higgins? What about the actor who played in Silence of the Lambs, Anthony Hopkins, a great actor who could play the part for sure? Location? Same!
Car? I think a Corvette convertible would work. For a sidearm, the Colt 1911!
Keanu Reeves could be the kind of guy who is a "technophobe". He maybe has a cell phone but struggles with the internet and relies on his intuition mostly and his skills learned as a Navy Seal. He could play the throwback kind of guy that Tom Selleck did.
He would have to do better than simply throwing a punch. Maybe Krav Maga would do. He would be a fitness nut and have his social contacts revolve around his sports interests. His Naval career could have involved clandestine missions around the world and Rick and TC were involved in these also. This would give the show the opportunity to have flashbacks to various locales and involve operatives of other nations, like Great Britain.
He would still be very attractive to women but retain the original Magnum's integrity and innocence with the opposite sex, but not total innocence. He is still a monogamist and a heterosexual.
Robin Masters could have made his billions in either publishing or high tech. But is Higgins, played by Anthony Hopkins, actually Robin Masters? A high tech RM and/or Higgins, would have continual conflicts with a low tech TM and that could be a recurring theme. Higgins is continually frustrated with Magnum's inability to program his cell phone and yes, he still uses dial-up.
TC still would be running a helicopter service and Rick would still be the same old Rick. The ring is still the symbol of their bond.
What would make it a success? It would serve as an escape back to an easier time without faxes, email, tech !*%# with a believable leading man. The relationships that existed in the first series would need to be as real and beleivable in the sequel. Plus, there you are, living rent free in a beachfront estate in Hawaii, driving a great car and not driven with a consuming need to make alot of money. Yet, TM is TM and a great private investigator and all around good guy! And the new TM would have to smile and laugh alot. It is a detective show with the same feeling as the original.
Hollywood!!! Bring Magnum back! 162 episodes is not enough!!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

I think it was the right show, with the right leading man, supporting cast and the right location at the right time. Throughout the seventies we had a ton of detective shows such as Columbo, McMillon & Wife, McCloud, Vegas, The Rockford Files, etc and this one came on the scene and seemed to truly have great writing, directing and character development. It touched heavily on a very painful War and showed the Veterans of that War in a very positive and heartwarming way. I give the show credit for the entire recognition of the VietNam Vets that were shunned up until then. Right show, right time, great writing, great producing, great acting, great location, unfortunately I just don't see it happening now........[/i]

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#13 Post by SelleckLover »

Jaybird wrote:
I think that Keanu Reeves could actually make a decent Magnum.
I'm sorry, but I will have to respectfully disagree with you Jaybird. KR couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, IMO. As much as I dislike George Clooney, I can't help but think that he would make the best TM, and as an actor he could do the character some justice. (See Clooney in a movie called Intolerable Cruelty, and you will see why I say that.)

JMHO! :D

Jaybird
Admiral

#14 Post by Jaybird »

Yeah! It was the right show at the right time and it was the first to deal with Vietnam veterns and some of the issues the war created. It would be hard to replicate today but one can always hope.
You are right about Keanu Reeves. I just don't know all the movie stars and he popped into my head. Anthony Hopkins could do a great Higgins!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#15 Post by SelleckLover »

Jaybird wrote:
Anthony Hopkins could do a great Higgins!
Yes, you are right about that! Also I think that Bob Hoskins would be a good Higgins too. My pick for TC would be LL Cool J. Still don't have one for Rick. I thought about Michael J. Fox, but I don't think he's acting anymore, and he may be a little too old.

I'm just sayin'..... :D