If the series began in 2008......?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#31 Post by Italian Ice »

Maybe too soon to do a movie, but not a TV movie. Those are usually pretty good. The Knight Rider TV movie was good (too bad the new series sucks), but the Hunter movies were not good. I think it would be a good idea to make a TV movie since TM, Rick and TC met up recently for Las Vegas. Higgins is probably taking it easy these days...
Last edited by Italian Ice on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#32 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I'd be interested to see how he would use Rick with technology the way it is these days. He would still have the underworld connections with Icepick, but I'm sure with computers he could do a lot of the leg work Rick does for him.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#33 Post by N1095A »

Interesting in that Higgins would be the older Vietnam Veteran moving on to his stint with MI6 in the mid 70s to early 90's, meeting up with Robin Masters and going to work for him around 1995. If he'd gone to Vietnam in say '69 at the age of 18, he'd be 58 in 2009. Of course in the series Higgins was much older than John Hillerman. TM and the guys could be Afghanistan veterans, or Iraq. The timing would be right. They very easily could have served 3 tours and have been out for a year. hard to believe those wars have been going on long enough for guys to be on their 3rd, and 4th tours. The war in Iraq has already gone on longer than WWII. Afghanistan even longer.
I always got the impression that TM was in the Navy way after Rick and TC left the Marine Corps. TM was just getting his business going, TC already had his own helicopter, and Rick already had his own club. I don't think they were career military like TM.
Last edited by N1095A on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#34 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

They do give you the impression that Rick and TC were out of the military a good five or so years before Magnum. Also, it would be interesting to see what the 21st century take on the estate would be.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

I think a lot would be different - the key thing, as has been discussed, is cell phones. When Magnum was late or someone was missing, they'd just call their cell phone (or mobile phones as they're known here in the U.K.).

Magnum might also have his own website as well as placing ads in phone books.

The Estate would no doubt be much more hi-tech, with giant plasma screen TVs and what-not.

But if you're talking about how a new series would be produced:...
It would be VERY different. And that saddens me.
So much of MPI's charm was (and is) its sense of humour. Shows nowadays seem almost scared to include humour. They have to make everything ultra serious.
It would probably have to be shot on handheld cameras and every shot would be 'shaky'.

In MPI, Magnum and co. are still haunted by the war, but it is written in in clever means. Any new show would have characters embittered and struggling to come to terms with every day life, in the most grim and depressing manner possible.

And Rick and T.C. would probably have to be lovers (!)
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Cagliostro
Lieutenant Commander

#36 Post by Cagliostro »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:I think a lot would be different - the key thing, as has been discussed, is cell phones. When Magnum was late or someone was missing, they'd just call their cell phone (or mobile phones as they're known here in the U.K.).

Magnum might also have his own website as well as placing ads in phone books.

The Estate would no doubt be much more hi-tech, with giant plasma screen TVs and what-not.

But if you're talking about how a new series would be produced:...
It would be VERY different. And that saddens me.
So much of MPI's charm was (and is) its sense of humour. Shows nowadays seem almost scared to include humour. They have to make everything ultra serious.
It would probably have to be shot on handheld cameras and every shot would be 'shaky'.

In MPI, Magnum and co. are still haunted by the war, but it is written in in clever means. Any new show would have characters embittered and struggling to come to terms with every day life, in the most grim and depressing manner possible.

And Rick and T.C. would probably have to be lovers (!)
Ah god can't un-see. :shock:

I have to disagree about a lack of humour in todays cop/p.i. shows. Just check out stuff like Psych, Burn Notice, or Life. As for what MPI would be like if filmed today I would have to say alot like Burn Notice (as has been pointed out in this thread iirc).

Btw love the avatar.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

I'm not sure we get those shows in the UK; at least on any channel I can get.
So maybe humour in American shows lives on! :lol:

I can't see many shows doing all-out comedy episodes though, like protecting a dog from a mobster for example (!). Things were more lightweight back then.

And Faker says thank you :lol:
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#38 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Wouldn't be the same show today, and I think the cast s what made it most special. I think it could still be a good show in today's time though.

Carmen
MPI

#39 Post by Carmen »

What about 'Hustle'? Isn`t that a show from U.K.? One of my nowadays favorites.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

A P Leyland
Captain

#40 Post by A P Leyland »

Hi Jay-Firestorm

You should check out BURN NOTICE if you get the chance. It's very similar to MAGNUM and very entertaining. It's on FX here in the UK.

Andy

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#41 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I've heard of Burn Notice but never knew anything about it. I may have to Tivo an episode and see how I like it.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

A P Leyland wrote:Hi Jay-Firestorm

You should check out BURN NOTICE if you get the chance. It's very similar to MAGNUM and very entertaining. It's on FX here in the UK.

Andy
I would if I had FX =)
If it ain't on Freeview, I don't see it. I refuse to pay for $ky - but that's another moan for another forum :lol:
JAY FIRESTORM