Was this the estate?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

Was this the estate?

#1 Post by Jodykmg365 »

In The Love That Lies, when Magnum pulled up and Higgins was putting the coconuts in the wheelbarrow, it didn't look like the estate to me.

Was it? What was that concrete looking building in the background?

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#2 Post by rubber chicken »

It isn't an angle that's often seen. The concrete looking thing is actually the wind break (tarp type material hanging on the fence) for the east side of the tennis court.

And at the far left is the boathouse / guesthouse. Although it's completely black, the outline of the building can just barely be made out.

Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by Jodykmg365 »

Thanks rubberchicken. That is one good looking tarp. It really does look like some kind of a cement structure. Of course, you can't have just any old poly tarp hanging on a fence at Robin's nest. :lol:

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#4 Post by Doc Ibold »

Jodykmg365 wrote:Thanks rubberchicken. That is one good looking tarp. It really does look like some kind of a cement structure. Of course, you can't have just any old poly tarp hanging on a fence at Robin's nest. :lol:
oh no, it IS cement

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#5 Post by rubber chicken »

Afraid not Doc. It is a tarp or canvas mesh or whatever tennis court windbreaks are made of. You can even see the gap where it ends a foot from the ground, and ripples in the above close-up screenshot.

Heal Thyself (3.12)

The windbreaks (at both ends of the court) were taken down for Basket Case (3.15)

You may have been thinking of the cinder block wall on the side of the other end of the court, seen to the right here in Mixed Doubles (3.10) along with the mesh windbreak opposite the one in question.
Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Lily »

Think what we are seeing are two different tarps.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#7 Post by rubber chicken »

I agree, the one from The Love That Lies (8.6) is different from the one in the earlier episodes. With the number of holes (for viewing?) being most obvious.

Then again, the tarp on the opposite side of the court (in the last screenshot) seems to have about the same number of holes. But they look different otherwise...

Icepick
Admiral

#8 Post by Icepick »

My guess. The holes are for stability to allow some air to get through so the tarp stays down better and doesn't blow up and come off. That or you'll notice the holes are where the poles are so perhaps ropes need more space to attach onto the vertical and horizontal poles. I'm going with my first guess :lol:
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#9 Post by Doc Ibold »

Okey doke,

So I guess the discussion we had about that cement thing on the tennis courts in another thread was a misguided view of the tarps.

I shall never doubt the master again!

:lol:

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Sam »

Doc,

If you look at the last picture with TM on the court,the cement wall is on the Shriners side of the estate.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#11 Post by rubber chicken »

In the other thread about the wall, maybe it wasn't clear, but we were actually talking about the wall just to the side of the tarp (the tarp on the road side of the tennis court, not the beach side). But here's two pictures to better show the wall, which is actually cinder block.

The Black Orchid (1.16)

Basket Case (3.15)

James, I wonder if there's a way to merge this thread with the Anderson Estate thread? Maybe after this thread dies down, or now...(?) I was just thinking after this info would be suited for that thread, and people would see it more in the future. If it's not possible or easy, that's cool too. This isn't life or death, hehe.

Icepick - Your idea of the holes being there to let some air through makes more sense than my viewing holes. :) I could ask a tennis pro friend of mine sometime...
Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#12 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Rubber chicken can find anything!

Icepick
Admiral

#13 Post by Icepick »

Awesome job rubber chicken! I have never noticed that wall before.
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#14 Post by rubber chicken »

In fairness, it was James who first brought up the wall in the forums. :)

And if discovering a cinder block wall is a thrill (and how could it not be?) - prepare to have your minds blown. If you look closely in the last picture, just behind the wall, you'll see a shed!

It looks more like a oversize locker really, it must be about 10 feet high and I believe it's about the length of the wall itself. It must be frequented often by Kenji the gardener. :)

I was going to post a better picture, but I can't seem to find where I put it, and I don't remember the episode. The camera was looking down the guest house stairs and followed Higgins I think as he walked along the side of the guest house. The locker / shed could be seen pretty well there.

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#15 Post by Jodykmg365 »

I wonder why only one wall was erected there? There are so many questions I have about the estate.