You first time watching Magnum PI

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Ina
Lieutenant Junior Grade

You first time watching Magnum PI

#1 Post by Ina »

I was 18, going on 19 when I first watched Magnum PI. Unfortunately, Tom Selleck didn't catch my attention like the majority of fans, but it was Larry Manetti who caught my attention the most. Not only did I admire his excellent portrayal of Rick -- the whiny, worldly, playboy who was at times the butt of every joke, but I admired his strong sense of comedy and how he takes being the butt of every joke in stride, without getting easily offended.

So, the question is: Do you remember the first time watching the show? Which actor caught your attention, and why?

wwmd
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by wwmd »

I remember first seeing Magnum P.I. when I was around 5 or 6 years old. I ran across it on T.V. shortly after I watched Three Men and a Baby in the theater.

When I saw Tom Selleck, I said, "Hey, it's the guy from Three Men and a Baby!"

The show only ran for about one more season after that, but I remember watching it whenever my parents would let me.

A few years later, I began watching the reruns--probably when I was 8 or 9.

Roughly 20 years after having first watched the show, I still love it!

--Sammy
ImageImageWhat would Magnum do?ImageImage

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by Jodykmg365 »

I can remember watching the show when it first came on at the age of 11. I also liked Rick later on when I was in my 20's. I thought he was kind of sexy, but nothing compared to Magnum. :lol:

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Coops »

I was almost 14 when it came on and was hooked from the beginning. Of course the character of TM was the most appealing to me but as time went on the cast ensemble really made the show.

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MPS »

Okay, time to feel old again :lol: I was 26 when the show first came out. While I admit to liking TS, it was the entire show: cast, location and plot lines that got me hooked.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Miss Q »

This is funny, I watched to see Rick as well, I thought he was cute! I felt
since he was my height we had a lot in common.... ok, its a reach, but hey I was only 16.

TS did catch my eye back then, must have been blind <wink>
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

maveriks
Commander

#7 Post by maveriks »

about 20 years ago. now i have 33 years. so about 13.
a looooong much time!! :P

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#8 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I was around eleven whrn it came out and remember TM Being the man. Who didn't want to live his lifestyle?

maveriks
Commander

#9 Post by maveriks »

i want live the magnum lifestyle :lol:

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by perfectlykevin »

I first caught "Home From The Sea" and watched the whole episode. i was hooked. I was about 11, ddin't watch everytime but began watching earnestly in college. The Magnum lifestyle, freindships and his good qualities were unique. I even raced back from classes to catch the daily episode. :)

Kev

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#11 Post by Doc Ibold »

First time I saw it, I was about 5.

Now granted thats just SEEING it. Senior Year in college, watched it religiously!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#12 Post by SelleckLover »

Wow, I feel positively ancient! I was the ripe old age of 29 when Magnum debuted in 1980. I loved it right away, because I had followed Tom Selleck's career since I saw him in a soap opera in the early to mid-1970's! :D

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by MPS »

SL wrote:Wow, I feel positively ancient!
LOL We can be ancient together :lol: We've just been fans of MPI and TS a bit longer than the young'uns have!
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

stever
Lieutenant Commander

#14 Post by stever »

I saw the first episode when it aired and was hooked, it had nothing to do with me having a mop of curly hair and a huge moustache at the time. Through the years I tried to watch every episode when it came on and caught most of them. Those were the days on CBS Thursday night. An hour of Magnum followed by an hour of Simon and Simon. Those were the days of great TV shows and not a bunch of lame reality shows.
SR

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#15 Post by SelleckLover »

^5 MPS!!! :D