Limbo Question

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

wdm
Vice Admiral

#16 Post by wdm »

http://magnum-mania.com/Articles/MPI_33.pdf This link from the print media section of the website answers some of the questions. I am going to check to see if I video taped the interview TS did before Limbo was aired.

bradchambers
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#17 Post by bradchambers »

What I remember from the original broadcast airing that is missing from the syndicated reruns as well as the DVD are the "flashes" of the shooting that the "ghost" magnum kept experiencing. I particularly remember when Magnum is at the King Kamehaha Club bar on the beach and Mac is talking to him, telling him that he's the real Mac and that Magnum died in the shootout, Magnum says, "You're telling me I'm...", and then spins around on his barstool. When he spins around in the original airing, there's a 1 sec flash of the shootout. As I recall, this happened a few more times, but each instance is missing from the DVD version. I wonder why?

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Seaver41 »

wdm wrote:http://magnum-mania.com/Articles/MPI_33.pdf This link from the print media section of the website answers some of the questions. I am going to check to see if I video taped the interview TS did before Limbo was aired.
Limbo aired April 15, 1987..........the article mentions it will air 'next week' so it puts the date of the article no later than Sunday April 10..........

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#19 Post by J.J. Walters »

Seaver41 wrote:the outcry came when it was leaked to the press that Magnum was being killed off..........not that season 7 was the last one. Once word got out (and it had to be a short time after it was in the can) the complaints started.
Thank you for clearing this up. So for the people who knew another season was coming, it was more a question (a head scratcher) of "how are they going to bring Magnum back", not "Magnum is dead (and Selleck is not returning)", because surely most would assume that the show wouldn't go on without Selleck.
Seaver41 wrote:I assume then that there is NOT a version of this episode on the DVD that was the original that never aired?
It's hard to tell (for me) because I havn't seen the original broadcast version since the early 90s. I used to have it on tape, but that is long gone. Based on what you and others have said, it appears to be the edited one. Anyone still have the original broadcast version of this episode?
wdm wrote:http://magnum-mania.com/Articles/MPI_33.pdf This link from the print media section of the website answers some of the questions. I am going to check to see if I video taped the interview TS did before Limbo was aired.
Nice find. I had totally forgotten about that article! :oops: I'm confused about one thing, though:

"The way it is, Selleck's doing post-production on the segment in Toronto - between rehearsals for Three Men and a Baby."

Viewed in the context of the rest of the article, I read this as, "Selleck is doing post-production work on "Limbo" in Toronto, one week before air date"?? What else would be doing post-production work on? :?
bradchambers wrote:What I remember from the original broadcast airing that is missing from the syndicated reruns as well as the DVD are the "flashes" of the shooting that the "ghost" magnum kept experiencing.
Thank you for this info Brad! Very interesting.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!