The "square slab" in the tidal pool

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#106 Post by Danno »

Wow. Thanks for the detective work, Bond.

They must have been some serious lobsters to need their own concrete prison.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#107 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

...maybe they wanted to keep the turtles off from the lobsters?

That local guy told me, that this kind of lobster cage can be seen on more places over the island.

And I have seen a sea turtle there yesterday.

Today: Last day in the Tidal pool, hope to come across with Mrs. A ;)
Weather is still windy!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#108 Post by Danno »

...maybe they wanted to keep the turtles off from the lobsters?
Like Ninja Turtles?

I love the Honu. If you're snorkeling, some of them can come right up to you. Unforgettable.

Hope you savour your last day and that you get great weather!
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Diandra
Captain

Re: The "square slab" in the tidal pool

#109 Post by Diandra »

Further to the mystery of the concrete slab at Robins Nest, I found an article on Magnum Mania (can't find it now) some time ago, stating that it had been a water distribution box. Maybe someone else can find this article, but it was somewhere on Magnum Mania.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#110 Post by Styles Bitchley »

File this mystery in with "Lady X" and "Higgins=Robin": INCONCLUSIVE.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#111 Post by Sam »

Diandra wrote:Further to the mystery of the concrete slab at Robins Nest, I found an article on Magnum Mania (can't find it now) some time ago, stating that it had been a water distribution box. Maybe someone else can find this article, but it was somewhere on Magnum Mania.
Hi Diandra..welcome to the forum.

It's what I believe and I think the general consensus.
I don't know where it collects but the water coming off the mountain behind the estate is channeled to the ocean somewhere..I think :)

Diandra
Captain

#112 Post by Diandra »

Thanks for your reply. My husband and I visited the tidal pool in March 2012, and I'm thinking that
the concrete slab didn't look like a cage for lobsters. Just saying.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#113 Post by Sam »

Without explanation,the lobster cage didn't make sense.Not sure how you'd get them out.The other usage..gun emplacement,I would think the location is too exposed.

I knew that the Kapahulu Groin or Hump was a drain..what I didn't know was it was built by James W. Glover Ltd...

http://www.hawaiiforvisitors.com/oahu/a ... -groin.htm

Diandra
Captain

#114 Post by Diandra »

Sam wrote:Without explanation,the lobster cage didn't make sense.Not sure how you'd get them out.The other usage..gun emplacement,I would think the location is too exposed.

I knew that the Kapahulu Groin or Hump was a drain..what I didn't know was it was built by James W. Glover Ltd...

http://www.hawaiiforvisitors.com/oahu/a ... -groin.htm

That's interesting. We just saw an episode of Hawaii 5-0 where McGarrett and Grover had a scene
while they were sitting on a bench at the Kapahulu Groin. I wish the show would go on location at Robin's
Nest for an episode. That would be incredible for all us Magnum PI fans.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#115 Post by 308GUY »

Hi Diandra, welcome aboard!

Don't know a thing about the slab other than what I've read here, but the drain theory makes the most sense to me, but I'd like to see a "schematic" or design plan outlining the entire thing in order to understand exactly what all drains into it and from where.

You are another forum member I'm envious of, seeing how you've been there too! :lol:

Got any pictures from your trip you care to share? :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Diandra
Captain

#116 Post by Diandra »

308GUY wrote:Hi Diandra, welcome aboard!

Don't know a thing about the slab other than what I've read here, but the drain theory makes the most sense to me, but I'd like to see a "schematic" or design plan outlining the entire thing in order to understand exactly what all drains into it and from where.

You are another forum member I'm envious of, seeing how you've been there too! :lol:

Got any pictures from your trip you care to share? :magnum:

Yes, I do, but I'm trying to figure out where the attachment icon is?

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#117 Post by 308GUY »

From the FAQ page:

» Can I post images?
Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.

Hope that helps. Looking forward to seeing what ya got! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#118 Post by ConchRepublican »

308GUY wrote:From the FAQ page:

» Can I post images?
Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.

Furthermore, once you have a file chosen on imageshack or photobucket or where ever, you link to it by copy and pasting the URL between the following:

[img]yourimageURLhere[/img]
Last edited by ConchRepublican on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Diandra
Captain

#119 Post by Diandra »

308GUY wrote:From the FAQ page:

» Can I post images?

I would like to share some photos, but with my minimal computer expertise, I haven't got a clue
on how to use the BBcode. Sorry.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

#120 Post by 308 »

So I'm new here and came across this thread, funny thing is I also wondered about the slab so about 4 years I actually e-mailed Larry Manetti, (Rick.....but I guess you all know that :P ) to ask him what it was and he e-mailed me back, it was odd, HE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT! How could you have been on the show for 8 seasons and not know what the "square concrete thing" in the tidal pool is? :|