The "square slab" in the tidal pool

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#76 Post by Olivier »

I took this picture last February :

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#77 Post by golfmobile »

For those of you who got a little piece of coral that I brought back from the tidal pool, consider the following picture your "proof" that it came from there (note the little white "rocks" shown scattered in the sand -- those are YOUR coral pieces [yes, that's MGI sitting on the wall]):

:D :)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Carmen
MPI

#78 Post by Carmen »

I had no doubt about it at all!!

BTW, I watched "Tropical madness" last night and the beach was pretty small back then. Noticed the same in "Black in White". Maybe it was kind of rebuild later in the 80s and has gone again now. I`ve seen this happen to beaches in Italy where I spend vacations practically my whole lifetime. As a child I was at a campingground which is now twice as wide as it was back then and someone told us they just filled up sand cause the tourists moved to other places (only a few miles away) because there was like no beach left.(wonder how much sand they needed.
We spent 2 week about 20 miles away from that beach in august 2003 and in an overnight storm the sea cut away half of the beach there and it stayed that way till now.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

ganache
Ensign

Mystery solved! The "square slab" in tidal pool

#79 Post by ganache »

Hi guys. I visited Magnum’s Beach (beautiful Kaiona Beach Park) last year and got to play on that concrete thing in the tidal pool just like TM. Squeee! Anyhow, I was also curious about what it is, so I emailed the archivists at the Hawai‘i State Archives and they said it is a WWII pillbox bunker. Like this one on Midway Atoll –

(Photo from melindawebster.com)
Last edited by ganache on Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Mystery solved! The "square slab" in tidal po

#80 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ganache wrote:Hi guys. I visited Magnum’s Beach (beautiful Kaiona Beach Park) last year and got to play on that concrete thing in the tidal pool just like TM. Squeee! Anyhow, I was also curious about what it is, so I emailed the archivists at the Hawai‘i State Archives and they said it is a WWII pillbox bunker. Like this one on Midway Atoll –

(Photo from http://www.melindawebster.com/hawaii2/)
Wow, thanks for solving the mystery ganache! That's a pretty good indication of how much sand has been washed in over the past 70 years.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

PhatCat
Admiral

#81 Post by PhatCat »

Hmm. Even though the state archives said it, I still find it hard to believe the slab was a pillbox.

It's not very tall, for one. For two, it wouldn't have sunk that far into the sand, and I can't believe sea level would have risen THAT much since WWII. It's pretty far out from higher ground to make a pillbox. Also, why is there an opening on top?

Still not sold 100% on that explanation. The world may never know...

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Steve »

PhatCat wrote:Hmm. Even though the state archives said it, I still find it hard to believe the slab was a pillbox.

It's not very tall, for one. For two, it wouldn't have sunk that far into the sand, and I can't believe sea level would have risen THAT much since WWII. It's pretty far out from higher ground to make a pillbox. Also, why is there an opening on top?

Still not sold 100% on that explanation. The world may never know...
Yeah, I'm not sure of that explanation either. I'm thinking the folks from the archives might have just looked at the pictures not knowing just how short it actually is. Of course, you never know, maybe someone brought it to the tidal pool years ago after WWII and there is a large portion of it buried under the sand and it was accessed through the opening on top. Someone needs to ask the Lady Anderson if they spot her on their next trip over to paradise............

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#83 Post by J.J. Walters »

The poop stoop is a pill box? Hmm, seems a little too far out in the ocean. Next time somebody visits the tidal pool, dig around the base of the "slab" to find out just what we are dealing with here. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Steve »

J.J. Walters wrote:The poop stoop is a pill box?
Atta boy James, a few more of this forum will have your wife rolling her eyes at almost everything you say just like mine does............

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#85 Post by N1095A »

Judging by the photo of the pill box, I'd say the "Poop Stoop" :lol: is a little small to be that. However we really can't see what's below the water and years of sand build-up. It would however, be really cool if that's what it is. From the great photos taken by those who have been there it does look to be reinforced with steel rebar, and there are some steel pieces on the outside. I'm really intrigued now as to what it actually is.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

ganache
Ensign

#86 Post by ganache »

If it really is a pillbox, to me it looks like it has been moved from its original location.
Here's a couple in the UK that seem to be on the move. Not sure if they got they way by nature or man though ;)
(Photo from hidden-teesside.co.uk)
(Photo from geograph.org.uk)

ganache
Ensign

#87 Post by ganache »

Of course, my personal theory is that it's an underwater dog house for Zeus and Apollo :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#88 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oahu has had considerable beach/shoreline erosion since the 1940's, but it's hard to pinpoint exactly how much has occurred in the Waimanalo area. It's certainly possible that the spot where the "pillbox" is was sand in WWII.

But if it's a pillbox, why does it have a hole in the top? To make it easier for someone to through a grenade into it?!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

burroughsmvp
Commander

#89 Post by burroughsmvp »

I asked my wife to take a picture with the so-called "pillbox" when she visited Hawaii a few years ago. One of my favorite pics of all time.

Kimbosan
Captain

#90 Post by Kimbosan »

Hi Guys ...could it have something to do with the structure shown in this picture, looks like a jetty or board walk.

Kimbosan

http://magnum-mania.com/images/HFO_FFH_4.jpg
Kimbosan