The "square slab" in the tidal pool

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The "square slab" in the tidal pool

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

Does anybody have any info on the "square slab" in the tidal pool?

What is it?? Why is it there?? :?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#2 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Great question James. I know the tidal pool was built as a release point for sea turtles. Maybe it has something to do with that? I assume someone that has been there has a better idea of what it is versus my WAG.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

Something to do with coastal defense during WWII maybe? The sea turtle idea is probably more accurate.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#4 Post by N1095A »

There was a website a while back that posted some photos that a guy had taken on a Hawaii vacation. There were some very good aerial and ground level shots of the estate. The owner of the photos claimed the "slab" while looking like concrete was actually metal. I know this does nothing to explain what it is, but I thought it an interesting bit of information.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, one would think it has something to do with the turtle enclosure, maybe for rigging up nets, or something. But did the "ancient hawaiians" work with concrete?

In Hawaiian fish ponds, it was apparently common to have a "platform" built in the water, so that the fisherman could sit on it when they were harvesting the fish, but I don't see any mention of "concrete/cement platforms" anywhere. And besides, here we are dealing with a sea turtle pond, not a fish pond. Would one need a "platform" to catch sea turtles in a relatively small tidal pool?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by Jodykmg365 »

I also thought it had something to do with WWII. Maybe a gun port of some sort.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Steve »

It sure makes for an ideal spot for us fans to sit on and have our pictures taken with Rabbit Island in the background. I'm betting one of the few people that would know what it was originally used for would be Eve Anderson herself, it would be nice if someone could dig up an e-mail address for her or, better yet, next one of us over there has to research it and report back to us. I'm trying to sell this angle to my wife so I can go back, but she just isn't buying it..........

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Lily »

Think we discussed this piece of concrete, a while ago, along with the tidal pool. I am sure the concrete must have come from a boat dock which belonged to another property, other than the estate. As for the tidal pool, I had read, and someone else here substantiated this, that as only Hawaiian royals and chiefs could consume turtle, such pools as this one at the estate, were built in which to keep these turtles.

The Estates tidal pool has been re-built, but taking into consideration what I have written above, one has to wonder just how old this pool really is?
This leads me to another question....what house might have originally been on the land prior to the Estate and the neighbouring properties?

Re Mrs. Anderson, when I was at the Estate early this year, at one point she was the other side of the fence with her two dogs (unfortunately labs I think, and not the Lads!). At the time I could easily have spoken to her, but that whole privacy issue came into my head, and I thought better of it. Has anyone else had any encounters?

Icepick
Admiral

#9 Post by Icepick »

The Block is in line with the gate opening to the Boat House, but just to the side, so it gives me the impression that it was used as a support structure for a dock. A small boat or canoe could slide up along the dock and then be pulled up into the Boat House. This way there was a stable platform to haul in nets as well. Or a stable structure for a winch. This would be assuming that happens with turtle farming. I haven't the foggiest though on that kind of fishing.

Considering that there was turtle farming it's safe to say that there was something else there before the Estate was built. Perhaps there was a small fishing business or cannery after a village was there.

The other theory is that it could be from a ship wreck and they just left it there.

*photo of Block in line with gate opening to Boat House
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vbvuqc&s=3
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Lily »

I was sure that on one episode of Magnum, when standing on the Estate looking out at the ocean, to the left along the beach there was a wooden boat dock coming from another property. Someone please tell me I am not dreaming?

As for the 'turtle farming', I think the tidal pool was more of a place to house turtles for consumption, rather than raise them. All this would surely be in the 1800's...hence me wondering about previous buildings on the site of the Estate.

Icepick
Admiral

#11 Post by Icepick »

^Ya it's got to have something to do with before the Estate was there. And I can't remember an episode with a dock there...hmm. To add something else to this strange Block, if it is cement, at least we know it can't be older than the 1840s. That's when modern cement was invented.

Well, no worries folks....I've just emailed the Shriner's next door for info. If that fails I'm phoning them. Somebody has to know.

I've also got a lead on someone that might be able to shed some light.
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Lily »

Icepick..anyone ever told you, you have great investigative talents?! :D Indeed I have long thought about previous buildings on that whole section of land. If we dont find an answer to previous ownership, when I go back early next year, perhaps a visit to Land Titles in Honolulu (or the American equivalent!), might be in order!

I also have a very knowledgeable friend in Honolulu, so one way or another, we will get answers.

Icepick
Admiral

#13 Post by Icepick »

As a matter of fact my dad used to be a private investigator and I went on a few cases with him. Sounds unbelievable I know, especially being a Magnum fan too :lol: Nothing like you would see on tv or anything. Quite mild and usually just theft stuff.

Yip, using deductive reasoning, one way or another, we will find out. I'm going to be going there in the winter too, so if you don't find out I will try.

I just checked my email and nothing back from the Shriners yet....ha ha. Damn I'm impatient. I'll be checking my email all night and if and when I ever get an email back I'll be posting whatever they say right here...stat.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Lily »

Had I spoken to Mrs. Anderson when I saw her, we would have known the answers! But she deserves her privacy.

Would be nice for the Shriners to substantiate my dock theory, as that would be the most logical. If not, it could be something related to the war, but somehow I dont feel it is. As for the tidal pool and previous ownership of land, I would really like to find out. Am really interested in Hawaii in the 1800's, hence my thoughts of what that whole area might have looked like during that era.

Just as I thought Icepick, investigation is in your genes! :D

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#15 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

A boat mooring and a WWII gun emplacement are two great theories as well! Much better than my sea turttle assumption. I am very interested to see what the actual purpose of the concrete slab is!