Why does Magnum series mean so much?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Lily
Fleet Admiral

Why does Magnum series mean so much?

#1 Post by Lily »

I am new to the forum, although I have been reading (or is it lurking?!) for ages now.

Just why does this series mean so much to so many? Do others experience the same great sadness as I do, knowing that we will never see these great actors again as they were in the Magnum series? What a terrible mistake to cast others in the proposed Magnum film, and it will be hard to view any other actors playing the roles of our much loved characters. Thank goodness we have our tapes and DVD's so we can be transported back into those wonderful days of the real Magnum.

On another note....every year I go to Hawaii and on Oahu, always seem to make the pilgrimage to Robins Nest. This year, the whole estate looked even more run down than last, and one has to wonder just why repairs arent made to the estate. Anyone have any inside info?

Icepick
Admiral

#2 Post by Icepick »

Hello fellow Magnum Canadian fan! It's also nice to see a female fan of the show, which isn't rare but I do find there's a majority of male fans of the show.

Yes I was at the Estate last Autumn and it is looking quite run down - not the house per say but the general appearance of the place from what it used to look like. I reckon it always comes down to money and perhaps the age of Ms Anderson. The annual property taxes alone must be huge. One of the threads around here has property value stuff etc.

Now if it was possible, I'd volunteer to help fix up the Estate for as long as it took to get it back to normal.

I plan to be back there this fall again so I'll get some good snaps of the grounds this time.
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#3 Post by golfmobile »

Icepick,

When are you going to be there? We're trying for somewhere in the Sept. 8-21 range (not sure exact dates yet).

Where (what area? Don't need an exact location -- don't want to "stalk" you!) will you be staying? We're trying to find a place on the east side, somewhere between Waimanalo and Kailua. Waimanalo is, of course, closer to Robin's Nest, but Kailua is closer to the golf courses we can afford (Ko'olau, Pali, etc. - they have very good prices for twilight play, which is fine with us).

If we're there at the same time, we ought to meet up at the tidal pool one day! Maybe then we'll have someone to film us duplicating the "snorkel shot"!

Who else can go to Oahu this fall? We can have a mini-Magnum-Mania convention!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#4 Post by SelleckLover »

Hopefully, I will get clearance from my cardiologist to travel soon. If I do, I might be able to swing a trip to Oahu, depending on how well I do selling on eBay! :D

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Lily »

Thanks Icepick...I am just happy to be able to join in on these Magnum discussions.

Re the Estate and it being run down, from what I have read, I dont think money is an issue.

Anyone planning to visit Oahu in February/March next year? Will pass by the estate again at that time, and check things out again.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#6 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Welcome to the boards Lily!

JonnyDaytona
Captain

#7 Post by JonnyDaytona »

Wow, I didn't realize how many Canadians were here.... Must have been all those daily repeats on CTV for years on end!

To answer the question, I think Magnum PI was unique in that it truly involved the viewers. JJ wrote a bit entitled 'Why Magnum PI?' that sums it up well. The Voice overs and the breaking of fourth wall communicate to us directly. More importantly it was a really fun show, with a great location and terrific cast....
"Ivan?......Did you see the sunrise?'

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#8 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I think it means so much because I was "growing up" when Magnum first ran. Also, as I may have mentioned before, the show offers an escape from reality. Who wouldn't want to live in Hawaii with Magnum's lifestyle!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Steve »

I don't know if I can even explain why I became, and still am such a fan of the show. I guess as a male, Tom Selleck pulled off the rarity of encompassing a character that women loved and men wanted to be like and could relate to because he wasn't perfect. I visited The Estate in April of 2007 and also was saddened by the run down appearence of it. I wish Ms. Anderson could at least find a way to fix up the appearance of the boat house that faces the beach and do a bit of trimming of the overgrowth on the fence. These things are so visible to us that make "The Pilgrimage" and might help us with that feeling of sadness that we take away from our visit........

Steve
Chicago

Icepick
Admiral

#10 Post by Icepick »

delete
Last edited by Icepick on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

Icepick
Admiral

#11 Post by Icepick »

golfmobile wrote:Icepick,

When are you going to be there? We're trying for somewhere in the Sept. 8-21 range (not sure exact dates yet).
I'm trying to go sometime in mid-October as I start a course at the beginning of Sept. If I can't get into that course, then maybe I could go sooner, but a friend of mine said she wants to come as well but she also might not have time before Oct. She works on movies so it depends when they wrap. I'll know more closer to the end of Summer. Meeting up at the Tidal Pool would be the coolest! I was with my brother last year and it was a blast.

I'm willing to stay anywhere this time, well in Waikiki or up the east somewhere, but it depends on deals etc. I was actually thinking of somewhere around Kailua and golf, especially twilight golf is always a great idea!

If all else fails I will probably not be able to go until the new year so Lily or anyone else I'm always up for a meet-up!

MARKN
Ensign

why magnum

#12 Post by MARKN »

when i was 12 i remember asking my dad to stay up and watch a new show coming on that night called magnum pi after a little begging he agreed and that was the start of somthing my dad and i enjoyed for 8 years together and after losing him this year magnum is even more special to me now than ever ! back then he didnt have to worry if the show had bad words in every sentance or if there was nudity it was a just a great show we both enjoyed now my son and i will enjoy all eight
seasons on dvd because there is nothing on tv that even comes close !
thats why magnum pi is so special to me !

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Lily »

Markn, very sorry to read about your Dad, but what special memories you will have when you watch Magnum with your son. Totally history repeating itself.
Best wishes, Lily

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Touching story MARKN. Welcome to the site!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#15 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

MARKN I think it is great that you are able to share this with your son. I know how special it must have been to have this with your dad, and being able to share it with your son has to make it even more special!