Poll: Is Higgins Robin Masters? Why or Why Not?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Is Higgins Robin Masters?

Yes.
21%
No.
79%
Undecided.
No votes

Total votes: 34

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

Poll: Is Higgins Robin Masters? Why or Why Not?

#1 Post by IslandHopper »

Is Higgins really Robin Masters? Did Higgins hire an actor to portray Robin so he could remain anonymous? Or, Is Higgins really the caretaker of the estate owned by Robin Masters? Please place your vote in the poll, and give your reasons why you believe Higgins is either Robin Masters, or just the Jonathan Quayle Higgins we all have come to know. We have discussed this at various places on the forum, but I thought this is such a popular subject it deserved its own thread.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Coops »

Yes. Everyone has a 'dark side' and I think JQH channeled his through his nom de plume, 'Robin Masters'.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Coops »

One other thing that convinces me JQH was RM: Higgins' love of telling stories whether anyone wanted to hear them or not. A typewriter doesn't talk back and doesn't walk away.

Carmen
MPI

#4 Post by Carmen »

No, he isn`t, he tried to quit in J.Digger Doyle, there would be no reson for such a thing when he`d be Robin Masters.
Maybe he was a kind of a ghostwriter later.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by lutherhgillis »

Due to continuity problems, Higgins could not be the real owner of the estate and the author of the romance novels. It would have been fun to think that he was however.

It would be the perfect cover. Be a Major Domo at your own estate and write "cheap pulp" while no one suspects. Hire some other dude to make all of your public appearances and generally behave like a rich novelist.

I do believe that Higgins played a large role in Robin Masters' success however. Long live JQH!

Luther

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Steve »

I say "NO". It was an interesting sub-plot to the series for the last few seasons but just doesn't hold water watching the entire 8 seasons. I take Higgins for his actual words "I lied" in Resolutions and not having the meaning he lied about his entire existence. The Higgins/Magnum relationship over the years was one of the best parts of the series for me, and I think if JQH was indeed Robin Masters, Magnum would have been gone from the Estate in season one......Just my opinion.........

Steve
Chicago

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MPS »

While watching each season, I kept waiting for something definite that would prove Higgins was Robin. Much as I was hoping Higgins was RM, it just doesn't work, when considering all eight years; too many inconsistencies in the plot.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#8 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I agree with you MPS. There are just too many things over the course of eight seasons that lead me to believe no.

maveriks
Commander

#9 Post by maveriks »

I believe that Higgins is the caretaker of the Robin's Nest.
I write so because any times Higgins speack with Robin with phone and next Magnum speack with Robin in the same time

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#10 Post by Doc Ibold »

I don't think Higgins was Robin either.

I'm sure they were planning on doing some big "reveal" w/ Orson Welles as Robin,but he passed before they could do it.

Since they were pretty much up a creek w/o a paddle, I think they threw in the "Higgins is Robin" thing at the very end.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

As much as I would like to see Higgins be Robin, the evidence just doesn't fit. As others have pointed out before, two episodes shatter this idea - "J. Digger Doyle" and "Birdman of Budapest".
IslandHopper wrote:the bad guys were trying to steal Robin's tapes of his newest novel. Robin even came to Hawaii and was picked up by TC in his chopper in order to retrieve his tapes from Magnum. If Higgins was Robin Masters, wouldn't he have known where the tapes were? Magnum said that Robin had given him the tapes for safe keeping. Why would Higgins have gone through this elaborate charade of the tapes kept in Magnum's guest house if he was really Robin, especially considering that there were bad guys willing to kidnap and kill in order to get the tapes. Would Higgins have willingly endangered Magnum, TC, Rick and himself and exposed them to automatic weapons and possible death merely to perpetuate this charade? I don't think so.
IslandHopper wrote:Robin's former teacher was coming for a visit. If Higgins was Robin, he would have known right off that she was an imposter. I don't think that Higgins would have gone through this charade either, especially considering that the woman, who was not Robin's teacher, but a Soviet agent trying to kill the birdman. Again, this involved possible death to TC, Magnum, and Higgins, which I'm sure Higgins would not have allowed to happen.
If it wasn't for these two episodes I could totally buy in to the idea that Higgins has hired some guy to go around pretending to be "Robin Masters" for twenty plus years.

I still like to think that Higgins did some uncredited ghost writing work for Robin over the years. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by 308GTS »

Yeah, I agree with James, it's a nice idea but Higgie was not Robin.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#13 Post by N1095A »

I know all the proof otherwise, but I say yes for the simple reason that once in an interview TS said he believed he was.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

MagnumPI_Cat
Commander

#14 Post by MagnumPI_Cat »

I believe that Higgins is RM because Magnum does. :lol:

There. I said it.
Out of my way before I run you down and enjoy it! - Thomas Magnum, Tropical Madness, season 2.

foggydayz
Commander

#15 Post by foggydayz »

If the movie ever comes out (with different cast and is presumably bad) I hope they DO NOT try to answer this question once and for all.

[/b]