Magnum's Rugby Shirt w/ Sweatshirt pocket?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Brad_Ny
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Magnum's Rugby Shirt w/ Sweatshirt pocket?

#1 Post by Brad_Ny »

You guys must know what I am talking about. Yesterday I saw "The Return Of Luther Gillis" on Sleuth and in that episode (as well a SEVERAL others) he wears a kind of purple colored Rugby shirt with a white collar and a pocket on the stomach for your hands just like on a "hoodie" sweatshirt. Has anybody ever seen these for sale anywhere or even bothered looking? I would LOVE to buy one of these and it obviously doesn't NEED to be purple. Just that style is really pretty cool!

Icepick
Admiral

#2 Post by Icepick »

I think it's burgundy/wine coloured isn't it? Haven't seen it anywhere from memory as it's probably not something I was looking for. I'm going to keep an eye out from now on.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#3 Post by N1095A »

He had a pink one with white collar and button area (don't know what that's called) as well. I've never seen them anywhere either. :(
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Brad_Ny
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#4 Post by Brad_Ny »

Well, Lets all team up and find some of these. I will make you all a deal, the first person to find one of these and email me the link to purchase them I will purchase one for you as well and have it shipped directly to you. My email is bthomas8@excite.com. I am deadly serious, find me the shirt and I will not only purchase one for me, but for you as well.

I am also working on something special for all of you on here with another board member. You will all know what I am talking about soon enough, and you will all be extremely thrilled. Team up to find me this shirt and keep your eyes open for an announcement!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#5 Post by golfmobile »

Not purple and maybe not exactly what you're talking about (as I don't remember the shirt from that episode), but here's a striped rugby shirt that has that front "kangaroo" pocket:

Rugby Shirt with Kangaroo Front Pocket

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Brad_Ny
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by Brad_Ny »

Very good, the only thing is that I am looking for one that is a solid color or one color for body and sleeves and maybe white for just the collar. I should have been more specific, I don't want a whole bunch of logos on it and #'s on the back.... just plain jane like TM's. Thanks guys

Icepick
Admiral

#7 Post by Icepick »

There's heaps of places that sell rugby shirts but I'm having a tough time finding the damn kangaroo pocket on them.

Here is a couple of places selling the basic shirt. I'll keep looking though.

http://www.oceanworld.co.uk/retail/mast ... irts.htm#1

http://www.jjsprinting.co.uk/products/sportswear.html

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by zebra3 »

You know it's kind of funny, I Google searched Magnum P.I. rugby shirt and this page was the first result. Unfortunately, I am having the same dilemma, though I assume all others previously having posted here have given up; something I feel I will be inclined to do some days from now.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#9 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I had a red one in high school. Even if I still had it the shirt wouldn't fit anymore.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by steveadl »

Found a few possibilities:

Hooded, with pockets and a small Cross of Lorraine in the top left corner:

http://uk.shopping.com/CafePress-Magnum ... YoQ==/info (follow through link to shop doesn't list it anymore, but they may have/make some on request)

or perhaps these from their site directly:
http://www.cafepress.com.au/+magnum-pi+ ... ts-hoodies

Hooded with pockets and different colours, but has image of the cast on front:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnum-P-I-Hood ... B001HRHJEA

From a brief look though, I'd say your best bet of finding a similar sweatshirt would be on sites that stock US Football clothing/gear since that's what it was. Especially since you don't necessarily want any 'Magnum' fanfare on the shirt itself. Shouldn't be too hard you'd think...

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by zebra3 »

steveadl wrote: Shouldn't be too hard you'd think...
I know right, but as far as "magnum fashion goes, it's very difficult to find accurate versions of what they wore, seeing as how it was so long ago. A real shame too, because some of that stuff is still relevant.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Can someone post a screen cap of the shirt? I'm having trouble picturing it in my mind.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by zebra3 »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Can someone post a screen cap of the shirt? I'm having trouble picturing it in my mind.

That's a long sleeve polo he's wearing.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#14 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Hard to see... does that have the so-called kangaroo pocket? If so, I've never seen one like it before. If not, it's a pretty common shirt.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by zebra3 »

Pretty sure it's got that two handed pocket in the front. I haven't seen one for sale at any local retailers so I don't know how popular it is.