Magnum's "Gauguin" Painting

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

erock308
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum's "Gauguin" Painting

#121 Post by erock308 »

"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#122 Post by Aloha Friday »

This is my last try...I think I'll keep it. 24 X 30 acrylic on canvas...need to build the frame now. It was a bit of a challenge to do something in that scale from such low resolution references. Image and for reference...Image
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#123 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Impressive work, Aloha Friday!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#124 Post by Aloha Friday »

Thanks Styles, like I said in an earlier post...I got a little obsessed with recreating the painting. The first two tries were based on erock308's (I think) mock-up of the two Gauguin paintings. The other three, I worked off of a somewhat out of focus screen capture while watching Magnum on TV. I got about as close as I could get. Oil paint might have a better result, but I'll save that for someone else to try. The big one I am keeping, but if anyone is interested in any of the others, they can PM me. Image
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#125 Post by Aloha Friday »

finished with the frame...
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#126 Post by only looking »

If you ever do a run of those please contact me me especially if you do a finished piece already in the frame like that. Would be very interested.
It made me do it Higgins!!!

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#127 Post by only looking »

Aloha Friday wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:54 pm This is my last try...I think I'll keep it. 24 X 30 acrylic on canvas...need to build the frame now. It was a bit of a challenge to do something in that scale from such low resolution references. Image and for reference...Image
Absolutely amazing I think. Would really love to have a exact copy with the exact frame that you finished up with if you're interested please contact me. I have been wanting one of these for quite sometime

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#128 Post by Aloha Friday »

Only Looking I think I sent you a PM...it shows in my outbox as sent, but if I look in sent messages there is nothing indicating I sent a message.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#129 Post by only looking »

Well it is official I know have waited all these years to get a replica of the painting and I now have it on my wall. I got the pleasure of meeting Aloha Friday today. Not only did I get the chance to meet him but I also got to see several of his other amazing works. Not only is he a very talented artist He's also A good person and very humble Of his talents. Thank you for doing this for me it was a pleasure doing business with you and getting the chance to meet you and spend some time talking with you today. Tomorrow would have been my father's 80th birthday and ironically enough today is his father's birthday so they so if I can get a bunch of happy birthdays wishes For our fathers, Would greatly be appreciated.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#130 Post by Aloha Friday »

Thanks for the nice note...great meeting you today. A fellow Maniac! Don't forget to post a picture of your guest room when it is finished.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#131 Post by Pahonu »

This sounds like a great Magnum-Mania moment. Best wishes to you both!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#132 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:05 am This sounds like a great Magnum-Mania moment. Best wishes to you both!
I say we all get together in person and meet each other. On Oahu. On the grounds of Robin's Nest. Yeah, I know... I know... but we can crash the place, can't we? By the way, I'll be the one driving KITT. :D I imagine Pahonu will arrive by sea since he's all about boats. :lol: Conch will probably arrive in some type of Conch-mobile, I don't know. Who else is coming?

mrnation8
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#133 Post by mrnation8 »

Aloha Friday wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:54 pm This is my last try...I think I'll keep it. 24 X 30 acrylic on canvas...need to build the frame now. It was a bit of a challenge to do something in that scale from such low resolution references. Image and for reference...Image
I’d love to purchase one if you have any left- of all things my son keeps making a comment of wanting that painting so I decided to Google it and here I am. Just let me know if you don’t mind. Thanks!
Chris
csn8@aol.com

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#134 Post by Aloha Friday »

Sent you a PM.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#135 Post by T.Q. »

Aloha Friday wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:49 pm Thanks Styles, like I said in an earlier post...I got a little obsessed with recreating the painting. The first two tries were based on erock308's (I think) mock-up of the two Gauguin paintings. The other three, I worked off of a somewhat out of focus screen capture while watching Magnum on TV. I got about as close as I could get. Oil paint might have a better result, but I'll save that for someone else to try. The big one I am keeping, but if anyone is interested in any of the others, they can PM me. Image
You did a fantastic job.

Well done. :)
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.