Magnum's "Gauguin" Painting

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

When viewed from this angle, the "bearded lady" appears to have shaved...

The shadows play some strange tricks on this painting.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by erock308 »

This is my rendition of the Original Gauguins Vairumati and When Will You Marry combined in PhotoShop.

From what I could find out the Prop Department on Magnum p.i. combined the Gauguin paintings Vairumati and When Will You Marry in water color for the kitchen area of the Guest House.

smaller copy

Anyone know how to paint? ;)[/img]
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by only looking »

Actually there's a website that turn any photo or work of art and they paint it, or recreate it depending on the subject matter. Someone could send them the photo and they could supply it painted..but if you look at the size of the original on the show it looks like a 24 X 30 or something, it's fairly big. I wonder if there's a place that could replicate it with a watercolor paint look to it as opposed to the oil paint that the company uses??? It would be nice to have a copy.
It made me do it Higgins!!!

erock308
Fleet Admiral

Turn a Photo into Watercolor

#19 Post by erock308 »

Marco
Commander

#20 Post by Marco »

I did this some time back and you can see it hanging in our living room:

It's still missing the frame - no time right now to get that done as well.

Marco

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#21 Post by golfmobile »

There are also places that will enlarge a photograph to poster size. So if you could get a good (high resolution) print of the Photoshopped combination picture, you could send it to, for example, Clark Color Labs and get a poster-size print back and then put it in a poster frame. Probably significantly cheaper than paying someone to paint it!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by only looking »

that would be awesome. I remember someone posting a picure of the painting once ..maybe it was in storage, but I believe the bottom was cut off. I fnayone foes makes one of these and it looks good and doesn't cost too much..either PM me or put it in the thread.

erock308
Fleet Admiral

Nice Painting

#23 Post by erock308 »

WoW thats a really good looking painting! Did you do it yourself?

erock308
Fleet Admiral

MPI Bed Room Pic

#24 Post by erock308 »

Does anyone know the name of this pic in TMs BedRoom?

[/img]

It kinda looks like a horse sleeping in a canoe?! Any ideas?
Last edited by erock308 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by only looking »

Marco wrote:I did this some time back and you can see it hanging in our living room:

It's still missing the frame - no time right now to get that done as well.

Marco
It's a shame you can't make copies of that. It looks very nice..would love to have a copy... :D

Marco
Commander

#26 Post by Marco »

only looking wrote:It's a shame you can't make copies of that. It looks very nice..would love to have a copy... :D
Hi!

I could make a copy of it actually. I offered it here some time ago but there seemed to be no interest (or at least not much). It would be a poster copy of course - I cannot make an oil painting copy though.

M.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by only looking »

Marco wrote:
only looking wrote:It's a shame you can't make copies of that. It looks very nice..would love to have a copy... :D
Hi!

I could make a copy of it actually. I offered it here some time ago but there seemed to be no interest (or at least not much). It would be a poster copy of course - I cannot make an oil painting copy though.

M.
how much would they cost and what would be the size? close to the size of the original on the show?

Thorfinn
Lieutenant Commander

#28 Post by Thorfinn »

Years ago in one of the many MPI forums I have belonged to, it was mentioned that there had been a complaint about the nudity in the painting. That prompted the artist on the set to rework the painting making the breasts even larger than before. Anyway, the how the story was told to us years ago.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Sam »

Hey Thor,glad to see you found this forum,welcome aboard.

Just as I expected,it was Bev that posted about the rework.I found the old thread.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tv.m ... 4fb90f08ba

Thorfinn
Lieutenant Commander

#30 Post by Thorfinn »

Hey Sam...glad I found this forum because the one I monitored the last few years has petered out. Usually when it gets going a bit, Bev will toss in one of her essays and it sort of shuts down for a while. Been in touch with Meribor (whenever she's in Hawaii she spends some time with us over dinner), Magwriter (chat frequently on Facebook with), and Rob Morrone (remember him?).

Always take visitors (friends and family) out to the tidal pool on the estate so the kiddies can romp and play in the water. One of the Magheads from the original site we all were on moved over here and we are the closest of friends, We usually go to the Oktoberfest together at the Hale Koa and celebrate birthdays at a Thai restaurant in Waikiki as well.

Anyway, nice to chat with you again