MPI-related YouTube Clips (The Good Ones)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#16 Post by golfmobile »

Those are all great! Thanks to all for the links. But the last one with the Robinson 44 in place of TC's MD500 was a little hard to stomach (from a helicopter-lover's perspective, IMHO!!) -- but they spent a lot of time and money filming all that. They are all definitely worth viewing. I just wonder if the real Tom Selleck ever sees all these and realizes how much HIS show is still appreciated enough to be this frequently parodied, all these 20-27 years later! I hope so -- if not, he's missing a lot. But he probably doesn't have time to search for this stuff.

golf

P.S. My message posted before I viewed the last couple of those. The ones with all the chubby guys, none of whom looked like the characters, was pretty lame, IMHO. But still, folks are still trying! And it has to take a lot of time and energy -- and editing -- to get these, so I'll give them credit for trying and obviously having fun!
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

I love how they dropped a match on a second generation Pontiac Firebird matchbox car! LOL! Burt Reynolds got nothin' on Tom Selleck!

Doc, thanks for the Family Guy clip! That makes two MPI references on the show!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#19 Post by golfmobile »

James,

No problem! First you gotta get this:

R/C Heli

and have it sent to me or N1095A for the paint job (though I might be volunteering N for something he doesn't have time for!!)

THEN you have to learn to fly it. I've played with numerous R/C helis and they are NOT easy. I painted one to sort of look like TC's but I can't find the video of it with MGI right now. When I find it, I'll post a link. I clobber poor MGI with the heli!

golf

P.S. Okay, here's one video (lousy quality though -- I have a lousy video camera):

MGI and the R/C Heli

and another:

More Lousy Video
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#20 Post by IslandHopper »

Nice job Golf. Looks like Magnum, G.I. may have earned himself an authentic Magnumesque shoulder scar from that first sequence. The music was great. "The Greatest American Hero." Another great show from the 80s. :D I haven't heard that in a long time.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:MGI and the R/C Heli

and another:

More Lousy Video
LOL! :D

Ok, that's hilarious AND super cool at the same time! You've got not one, but TWO RC heli's! Chopper duels in the backyard sounds like fun! And those things are pretty durable, huh? As is Magnum G.I.! ;)

But why did you have to pick "The Greatest American Hero Theme Song"? Don't get me wrong, great song, but it may be the hardest song of all-time to get out of your head once it gets inside!

Believe it or not, I’m walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free.
Flying away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it’s just me.

(repeat)

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#22 Post by N1095A »

James J. Walters wrote:I want one of these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTaN6mpvif8

8)
Interesting an MD520N as TC's chopper.
Golf, I'd do it, but I don't even seem to have the time to finish my TC's chopper. I've got the white interior, brown, and first two Orange/yellow sections finished, but I haven't worked on it in 2 months. By the way, How did you end up getting the paint to stick to the tail and other "weird plastic" parts on yours?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#23 Post by golfmobile »

N,

I know the feeling. I received that 16:1 sort-of MD500 and I haven't done a thing to it yet. I had such a hard time with the GI Joe 6:1 one that I almost dread starting on it. (Also, I'm using the excuse that it's too cold to spray paint it -- can't do it outdoors and the workshop is full of Larry's orchids so I can't spray in there over the winter.)

As for the non-stick plastic of the 6:1 heli, basically I just sanded the finish off and then used your Scotch invisible tape trick so what was painted wouldn't be pulled off. Thanks so much for that helpful hint. That tape probably won't provide as tight a seal on curved parts, but it definitely worked on the flat areas of the tail and stabilizer.

But technically I need to paint the tail rotor white with the red stripes at the ends, plus put the red ends on the tops of the main rotors. But I think I'll just wait till a warm spell or spring for that.

Honestly, I think by painting the GI Joe helicopter, I just ruined a $150 collectible!!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Magnum92
Captain

#24 Post by Magnum92 »

My Favourite is Ramadi pi, that is really cool!!
Magnum: So far this case had cost me my right to the wine cellar, the last cash in my pocket, and nearly my life. If that clerk was lying to me, I was gonna come back down here and shove that Robin Masters paperback in his ear!

Tralfaz
Admiral

#25 Post by Tralfaz »

I am planning on getting a 500d body for the T-Rex 450 RC Helicopter at some point.

T

PS Then I will install a micro video camera in it. Take it to the Anderson estate on my next trip to Hawaii and do a video fly over. ;)
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#26 Post by golfmobile »

Then you can control your R/C helicopters a lot better than we can! For the most part, all we can get ours to do is go up and down and in circles uncontrollably. Of course, we have the cheap ones . . . .

golf
"Portside, buddy."

grundle
Admiral

#27 Post by grundle »

As far as I can tell, this is the version of the theme music that was on the 45 rpm record that got released in the early 80s. It's also the music from the DVD menus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l1wEutA058

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#28 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh wow! I had no idea that the version heard on the DVDs menu was the same version as the .45 single that was released in the early 80s! Cool!

Thanks grundle!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#29 Post by golfmobile »

That's the version I have that I used twice on my Flight Sim flights for TC's chopper on youtube.

TC and Robin's Nest (added to youtube last June)

and

added September 2006 (the one with the barrel rolls)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

grundle
Admiral

#30 Post by grundle »

James J. Walters wrote:Oh wow! I had no idea that the version heard on the DVDs menu was the same version as the .45 single that was released in the early 80s! Cool!

Thanks grundle!

You're welcome.

Most of us haven't heard the 45 since the early 80s. And some of us have never heard it. So it's easy to not recognize it as being the same music as on the DVD menus. If it hadn't been for that video to remind me, I wouldn't have known either.

I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but you can save TouTube vidoes on your computer. I know of two ways to do this.

For one way, just go to this website and follow the instructions. This method only works for YouTube videos.

http://www.savetube.com/

The other way is to be using the Firefox browser, and have version 11 of RealPlayer installed. When you watch vidoes and scroll your cursor over them, you can save them. This method works for Yahoo vidoes and other video websites, as well as YouTube.

In both cases, you need a Flash Video Player to watch the vidoes after you save them. RealPlayer performs that task, and a google search of "FLV player" shows other players that also do the job.

The reason I mention this is in case anyone wants to save that Magnum 45 (or any other video) before YouTube takes it down for possible copyright violation.