Season 8 DVD

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#31 Post by Shermy »

Despite the earlier press release, Limbo was not included as a bonus episode for Season 8. I'm not really sure why, since they still had room for one more episode. (There are four episodes on the first disc, and five on each remaining disc.)

I videotaped the original broadcast, so that's the only version I really remember watching. But I assume most (if not all) of the additional footage was included in Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts. (For example, a new, unseen villain appearing at the warehouse.)

I'm sure someone here can point out all the specific changes, though.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#32 Post by J.J. Walters »

That really stinks. I was really looking forward to finally seeing the syndicated version of "Limbo" (to compare against the original version). Maybe someday I'll catch it when airs on cable.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

eeyore
Admiral

#33 Post by eeyore »

Didn't someone post somewhere that the syndicated version of Limbo shows the "villian" ( I'm sorry I can't remember his name, but the brother of the Vietnamese officer connected to Michele's death that Magnum killed) going up to Magnum after he was shot in the warehouse and kicking him? Or is it the other way around, it was in the original version but removed for syndication? I don't remember seeing this when it aired originally.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#34 Post by J.J. Walters »

Well, I thought it was in the syndicated version of "Limbo", but now I see that all of those scenes are in "Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts"! I'm so confused now! Maybe there was never two slightly different versions of "Limbo"??

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#35 Post by Doc Ibold »

To be perfectly honest, it seemed like "Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts" was REALLY long. If someone timed it, I wonder if it would be longer than the average episode?

What I think is that Universal, rather than put on the syndicated version of "Limbo" recut the syndicated part(s) w/ Quang Ki INTO "Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts" to create one seamless episode. If you notice, all of those scenes have an airy, almost dreamy quality which is to be expected because its a memory in a coma, BUT what if they did that as an editing technique to cover up the cutting in and out?

Just my thought, and I hope thats what they did, because when "Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts" originally aired, they had to air the recut "Limbo" in front of it to make sense. (I know that discussion is in some thread around here). And from what I remember from the description of that episode, what they added into the syndicated Limbo was EXACTLY what occured in the Season 8 box set episode. So, back in the day, why would they put a new version of the show in front of the next episode when they have exactly the same footage?

That seems kind of bizarre to me.......

I think its a combo!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#36 Post by Shermy »

Doc Ibold wrote:What I think is that Universal, rather than put on the syndicated version of "Limbo" recut the syndicated part(s) w/ Quang Ki INTO "Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts" to create one seamless episode.
Interesting thought, but I'd be really surprised if Universal went to that much trouble for this release- especially for a change that would just anger fans. It would've been far easier (and probably cheaper) to just include the bonus episode on the available disc space.

I didn't really notice the longer length, but the episode was a pretty big deal when it aired. It's possible that the episode was allowed a slightly longer running time. (If so, this could be the reason Limbo was omitted, since the additional running time may have thrown everything off...somehow. :? )

Ultimately, I think Infinity stands on its own, and you don't really need to rewrite Limbo for it to work. You either accept that Magnum is suddenly able to recall more about the event, or you don't. But once the audience accepts a spirit Magnum walking in the clouds, it leaves the door open for some creative freedom, imo. :lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#37 Post by J.J. Walters »

"Infinity" comes in at 46:35, which is slightly shorter than most episodes.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#38 Post by Doc Ibold »

Shermy wrote: Ultimately, I think Infinity stands on its own, and you don't really need to rewrite Limbo for it to work. You either accept that Magnum is suddenly able to recall more about the event, or you don't. But once the audience accepts a spirit Magnum walking in the clouds, it leaves the door open for some creative freedom, imo. :lol:
I agree. Even if Limbo wasn't syndicated, this episode would have done it for me.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Frodoleader »

:(

Crap! Went to Best Buy yesterday to purchase the Season 8 dvd, but they don't have it yet! They were actually restocking seasons 1-7 while I was there - but no Season 8!

:x

T.S..Magnum.
Ensign

Stereo!

#40 Post by T.S..Magnum. »

I was surprised to see that season 8 is in stereo! :D

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by 308GTS »

Ha, what a laugh. All this talk about S8, we haven't even got S7 yet.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

sgk4
Ensign

#42 Post by sgk4 »

I for one was very disappointed to see that we were given a hacked up syndicated version of Resolutions instead of the original two-hour broadcast version!

Magnum92
Captain

#43 Post by Magnum92 »

It really annoys me, we don't even have the 7th season in Australia yet :cry: :lol:
Magnum: So far this case had cost me my right to the wine cellar, the last cash in my pocket, and nearly my life. If that clerk was lying to me, I was gonna come back down here and shove that Robin Masters paperback in his ear!

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#44 Post by Vanity »

All of you non-region 1 fans might want to know that Season 8 is scheduled to be released in region 2 for May 19th.
Hope Universal will not play that silly game of spreading the release in Europe over 3 months as they have done it for S7.
Patience, patience....
I know what you're thinking...

VM02
Rear Admiral

#45 Post by VM02 »

I watched White on White and Nearly perfect last night. I've never seen another full episode of Rockford, so I don't have much to compare it to. It sure was interesting to see TS playing a different PI, this one with an opulent office and a secretary. The differences between Lance White and Thomas Magnum help (me at least) to understand the amount of acting ability that TS has, and the little things that go into making Magnum, well, Magnum.

Also saw a younger Joe Santos.