Season 8 DVD

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#16 Post by rubber chicken »

Mine will also be arriving any day now. It's funny though, I still have eight episodes to watch in season 7. I've been spreading out my viewing of all the seasons' episodes but this is the first time I've had some left when a new season comes out. I like knowing I still have a new episode to look forward to. Maybe I'll just never get around to watching "Resolutions." :wink:

I'm reminded of an old middle school friend of mine who rationed his halloween candy out to last the entire year (it was a major undertaking to get a single piece of candy from him). I always thought that was insane, but I guess I learned something from him.
James J. Walters wrote:Don't forget The Complete Box Set - Deluxe Edition with bloopers, outtakes and cast reunion! Miracles DO happen, you know! ;)
I think that's the same one with commentary by all the stars and guest stars on every episode. :lol:

stever
Lieutenant Commander

#17 Post by stever »

Actually I've been thinking the same thing as James. I can see a deluxe set coming out in a year with interviews or behind the scenes stuff as special features which means even though I own season's one through eight, I'll have to buy the deluxe set (if and when it comes out).
SR

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Danno »

stever wrote:Actually I've been thinking the same thing as James. I can see a deluxe set coming out in a year with interviews or behind the scenes stuff as special features which means even though I own season's one through eight, I'll have to buy the deluxe set (if and when it comes out).
SR
Oh man. I can't stand reading this!

I know if it does come out, I'll buy it without question.
... and if it never is made I'll forever have the dream box-set in my head.
Eternally torturing me... :twisted:

Agh! :lol:
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

eeyore
Admiral

#19 Post by eeyore »

This is as sad as the show ending, all over again!!
But yeah I'd buy the box set too, in a heartbeat. Maybe it wil be Bluray by that time.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#20 Post by Shermy »

I'm not really looking forward to watching the final episode, and seeing Magnum forced to deal with issues like growing up ("Pleasure Principle") makes me a little uneasy. :lol:

But the great thing here is that I can always pop in a disc from Season 2 or 3, and be instantly transported back to 1982. So that's probably where I'll be once the episodes run out. :)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#21 Post by Doc Ibold »

Shermy wrote:I'm not really looking forward to watching the final episode, and seeing Magnum forced to deal with issues like growing up ("Pleasure Principle") makes me a little uneasy. :lol:

But the great thing here is that I can always pop in a disc from Season 2 or 3, and be instantly transported back to 1982. So that's probably where I'll be once the episodes run out. :)
I made it through "Forever In Time" last night, and I do sense a bit of "somber-ness" as a them in the show.

eeyore
Admiral

#22 Post by eeyore »

I tend to prefer the older shows myself. Although Magnum PI never jumped the shark, IMHO seasons 6 and 7 lacked "something", they just weren't as "complex" to me as the earlier shows. A few of season 8's shows like the Hawaiian Adventure Company and Lost Art seemed a bit off the wall, but for the most part I thought Season 8 finally brought back some very serious issues that I had missed. I thought the tie in to the Vietnamese War was a strong component of the series and when some of the mid seasons veared away from that, it left a huge void for me. Of course part of the success of the series was it's variety, some shows very light hearted and fantasy-like yet others serious and deep, still stayed believable and the characters fit in well in either mode. Ok I'm rambling hope I made sense.
We all love Tom Selleck as an actor, but as well, I love Thomas Magnum as a character and try to keep them separate. If THAT made any sense either! :)

eeyore
Admiral

#23 Post by eeyore »

Speaking of Magnum dealing with growing up, there is just something about the Hotel Dick that depressed me. I just don't enjoy that show, Magnum is such a fish out of water in it.

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Miss Q »

Hee, hee, hee....

Just tracked my copy of season 8 and its waiting for me at my house
when I get home!!!!
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

higgybaby1
Lieutenant Commander

#25 Post by higgybaby1 »

Wow, one day after the release and I am finished with the Magnum series....im so sad!
OH MY GAWD!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#26 Post by Doc Ibold »

higgybaby1 wrote:Wow, one day after the release and I am finished with the Magnum series....im so sad!
TRUE,

But at least you can go back and watch any episode you want, at any time!

I've been waiting since college for this!

:twisted:

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#27 Post by Shermy »

eeyore wrote:I tend to prefer the older shows myself. Although Magnum PI never jumped the shark, IMHO seasons 6 and 7 lacked "something", they just weren't as "complex" to me as the earlier shows.
I agree about Season 6, but think the real problem is that there's a serious imbalance between those two years. Season 6 is just kind've aimless, and then they suddenly try to have Magnum grow up really quickly in Season 7.

It would've been a lot better if they had started that process much sooner, rather than waiting until the final year (or what they thought would be the final year).

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#28 Post by IslandHopper »

Shermy wrote:
eeyore wrote:I tend to prefer the older shows myself. Although Magnum PI never jumped the shark, IMHO seasons 6 and 7 lacked "something", they just weren't as "complex" to me as the earlier shows.
I agree about Season 6, but think the real problem is that there's a serious imbalance between those two years. Season 6 is just kind've aimless, and then they suddenly try to have Magnum grow up really quickly in Season 7.

It would've been a lot better if they had started that process much sooner, rather than waiting until the final year (or what they thought would be the final year).

Actually, I'm glad they didn't have Magnum grow up earlier in the series, because I find those Mature-Magnum episodes (Hotel Dick, On The Fly & The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company), where Magnum is attempting to plan for his future kind of depressing. It's like you can tell the show is coming to an end. It's no fun to live vicariously through a character who has a 9 to 5 job. We don't need TV for that. :)
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#29 Post by Shermy »

IslandHopper wrote:I find those Mature-Magnum episodes (Hotel Dick, On The Fly & The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company), where Magnum is attempting to plan for his future kind of depressing.
I agree with you. They're a little jarring and snap you out of the familiar Magnum p.i. world you've come to love. But that's kind've what I was referring to.

I think it would've been better if the transition had been a little more subtle, instead of suddenly springing those changes on the viewer. You have a handful of "adult" moments in Season 6, but everything else is kind've lightweight. But then Season 7 comes along and suddenly things get very serious, very quickly. :o

OUTHOUSE
Lieutenant

Limbo (is it on season 8 DVD?) vs Season 7 Limbo.

#30 Post by OUTHOUSE »

Can someone explain to me the difference between the season 7 and season 8 Limbo (assuming it is on season 8)?

I have not seen either in a very long time and as a first time viewer I want to see the one leading into season 8 not the version for the expected show finale'. Thanks.