Stuff That Reminds You Of Magnum

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#16 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

The Tigers cap is a given. Everytime we have taco night at our house I think of Macho Tacos, and whenever I hear "Oh My God" it brings a smile to my face.

VM02
Rear Admiral

#17 Post by VM02 »

Theres a mustached manager here at work who is a big Tigers fan. Whenever he wears a Tigers hat in, I greet him with "Nice to see you again, Mr. Selleck."

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Miss Q »

I just had a part# come up at work, a TWS236.... reminded me of TS and then toughts of Magnum
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by MPS »

Living in So Cal, there are tons of old cars (no salt on the roads to rust them) so seeing an 80's 308 Ferrari isn't an oddity. I need to remind myself that Magnum is not driving it. So sad :cry:
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

wes
Lieutenant Commander

#20 Post by wes »

-Another year of the Chicago Cubs not winning the World Series much less a Pennant.
-My humidor on my Higgensesque desk
-enjoying a good drink with one of those cigars
-enjoying a great sunrise or sunset
-the challenges each year brings as we get older
-struggling not to be bothered while I do this years taxs
-enjoying many of the quotes from Magnum P.I.
- I could go on and on.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by MACattack »

There a lot of things that remind of Magnum. Like I saw a red Ferrari 308 parked at my work last week. Somebody else had parked a red Maserati right next to it.

Everytime I watch "Folks!" I see a ton of reminders. Every car that Tom drives in the movie is red. The scene at the trailer park in Florida, there is boat with the name MAGNUM 750. Also, the bar scene with his parents there is a saxophone musician dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and Detroit Tigers hat. The director or the writer must have been avid MPI fans. Ironic that Tom shaved off his moustache for the role! :D
I just don't give a damn!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#22 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Mac I 've never seen Folks, but I may have to pick it up to check out these things.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Steve »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:Mac I 've never seen Folks, but I may have to pick it up to check out these things.
WARNING........WARNING..........Not one of TS's better movies, but I enjoy it as it was shot in Chicago, and I was driving a Nissan 300ZX at the time like Tom in the movie.......

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by MACattack »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Tom Selleck's other movie he starred in that year. "Mr. Baseball". The end of the movie shows Tom coaching for the Detroit Tigers! I wonder if he really is a fan in real life. I heard that he pushed for his character Magnum to wear the hat on the show. 8)

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#25 Post by N1095A »

MACattack wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Tom Selleck's other movie he starred in that year. "Mr. Baseball". The end of the movie shows Tom coaching for the Detroit Tigers! I wonder if he really is a fan in real life. I heard that he pushed for his character Magnum to wear the hat on the show. 8)
Being from Detroit, I'd venture he's a Tigers fan.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#26 Post by Doc Ibold »

Darn Tootin!

:-)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#27 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Yes, TS is a real life Tigers fan.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#28 Post by Agatha »

I hear a lot of young people saying "Oh, my God!" and wonder if they know how that got started. Makes me smile.

I, too, think of Magnum...and Hawaii...when there's a particularly beautiful sunrise or sunset...even though mine don't have ocean under them!

Interesting topic!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by MACattack »

Hey Agatha, where are you really from? You say you are baroness of Oahu, but there's no ocean? From the Midwest maybe? I don't mean any disrespect, just curious.

I would go totally insane without a beach nearby me. That's probably why I live in Cali. I totally want to live in Hawai'i someday, as is their quality of life is much higher than the mainland! 8)

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#30 Post by Agatha »

No disrespect taken, MACattack. I get curious, too, but don't always know if I should ask. :)

"The Upper Left Hand Corner" of our great country is Washington State...unless you count the DETACHED upper left hand corner, which would be Alaska. I live along the I-5 corridor...about 2 hours from the coast. So when I see sunsets and sunrises, they're coming up and going down above hills and prairies.

I chose Baroness of Oahu for my "title" because if Higgins had ever married Agatha, she would have been the Baroness of Perth. Since, for all of his intelligence, he wasn't smart enough to marry her, I decided to give her the title anyway...of the island where she most certainly was the reigning Lady!

I, too, love beaches and try to figure out a way to make it down to our beach at least every month or so. I tell people that I only go because my dogs love it but I'm a walker and my second most favorite place to walk is the beach. My MOST favorite place to walk is on the prairie. Wildflowers are starting to bloom now and they're AWESOME!!

The one thing I haven't figured out is a WARM beach...except in the too, too short summer. Hopefully, you're far enough South in CA that your beaches are warm!! I hope you get to live in Hawaii some day. Remember that whatever you do for a living here? They probably do it for a living in Hawaii, too!

And I hope I get to visit Hawaii some day. About this time of the year Washington folks get REALLY lonesome for warm!!

Don't forget to let us all know when you decide make your move!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!