Collecting Magnum Stuff

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Danno
Fleet Admiral

Collecting Magnum Stuff

#1 Post by Danno »

Hi All,
Does anyone on this forum collect Magnum P.I. stuff?
I've a small model of the Ferrari, but that's about it...

D.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Waltstasz
Admiral

#2 Post by Waltstasz »

Welcome to the boards. I love your avatar, btw. 8)

I have a Detroit hat, an Island Hoppers T-shirt, Aloha, Magnum (the book by Larry Manetti) and the DVDs. I don't know if that qualifies as a 'collection' though. I've seen a bunch of Magnum stuff on Ebay, such as collectible cards, models, shirts, etc. but I never bought any of it.
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi Dan. Welcome to Magnum Mania!

Oddly enough, I got nothin' but the DVDs. :oops: I do have lots of pictures and a wealth of information in my head, however. :wink:

Here's my page on Magnum Tie-in Products that you might find interesting.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

Magnum Collector

#4 Post by SelleckLover »

Hi, I'm Renee and I'm a Magnum PI Memorabilia Collector. I'm to embarrased to mention ALL the stuff I have, but I will say that I have 2 large binders of print memorabilia, a Hollywood Walk of Fame Collector Plate, baseball cards and.....well you get the picture. Some of the stuff I collected myself back in the 80's and some I have won on eBay. I most recently got outbid on a picture of Tom with his wax statue taken at the Hollywood Wax Museum which I believe was added to the museum in 1999. Because of reasons beyond my control, (my husband )I have to keep my bids to not over $5 for per item. It went for $35. Where it will all end is something I don't care to think about. As long as I'm alive, I'll probably have some type of obsession with Magnum and Tom Selleck. My husband is extremely understanding, waking me up when he sees Tom on all the late night shows. (Is my hubby a great guy or what?)

I actually live about a 2 hour drive from Tom's house. He lives in a town called Thousand Oaks in Ventura County, California. He lives in Dean Martin's former ranch in the hills. One day while surfing the web I stumbled upon an aeriel view that someone took of his house as it looks today. I wish I could remember what the web site was, but when I found it I was really new at using a computer and had no idea how I got there! If I ever find it again, I will post it.
Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Danno »

Thanks guys... it's about time there was a Magnum P.I. website and a forum... High regards to James for getting this going! 8)

Sounds like there's some cool stuff out there... it's a shame there are not more books around on the show.

I forgot to mention I have a Tigers cap and Seasons 1-5 on DVD- I've not seen all of Season 5 yet though... Magnum is only a vague memory from when I was a kid- so I'm really enjoying watching the show this time around.

Waltstasz, is the Aloha Magnum book worthwhile? I read disappointing reviews on Amazon.com...

SelleckLover
, it wasn't Google Maps that you saw Selleck's house on, was it?

Here's the biggest Ferrari 308 I'll ever own:

Waltstasz
Admiral

#6 Post by Waltstasz »

SelleckLover, you don't need to be embarrassed about liking Magnum, especially here. I wish I had more Magnum stuff, but I've got too many other hobbies already. :(

Since you live near Selleck's ranch you might be able to search a map engine with your address and try to find his house that way. Google Earth is pretty cool for those sort of things; I found Robin's Nest on there.

Dan, I found Aloha, Magnum enjoyable. I think some of the criticisms voiced on Amazon are valid though. Larry Manetti puts in a bunch of stories that don't have any relation to Magnum at all and sometimes he can come across as a spoiled rich kid or an egotistical 'star'. However, there is quite a bit of information on the show and plenty of anecdotes about the cast and crew. I think that if you are a fan of the show you will enjoy the book.
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Welcome to Magnum Mania! SelleckLover!

Dan, I concur with Walt regarding Aloha Magnum. I borrowed it from a friend of mine not too long ago and, me being a "MagHead" and all, I thoroughly enjoyed it. However, it does talk a little too much about non-Magnum stuff. Again though, if you're a "MagHead", it's a must read, if only for the fact that it's the only real inside Magnum P.I. book out there.

And I'm lovin' your Ferrari model Dan. Man, I would kill to have that!

SelleckLover

#8 Post by SelleckLover »

Dan-Really digging your avatar and your Ferrari model!
Waltstasz-Thanks for the kind words....I sort of forgot that I'm in the fine company of fellow Magnum/Tom Selleck lovers.....LOL Thanks for the heads up about Google Earth, but I've tried that and Thousand Oaks is a BIG city, and the picture I saw was a pretty tight shot, just of the roof, the surrounding foliage, and the front lawn, complete with a flag pole and an American flag flying on it. I even went on a website where you can look for residences by people's last names, and typing in just "Selleck" in the search box. The search produced around 3 or 4 residences, all of them were small, squished together tract homes in Ventura County...don't know what THAT'S all about. Relatives of his maybe??? Who knows!
Baseball only lasts a summer, however long that summer lasts. ~Magnum to Mad Buck Gibson

MAGNUM308
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by MAGNUM308 »

Hi everyone, I've love the new magnum site. Hope to see more people get involved in the forums. As for magnum stuff I'm guilty. I've probably spent way too much but it's been worth it. I have a bunch of props from the show, a signed copy of Larry's book, the original script (Magnum's name was Cutter in the first drafts), and a whole bunch of other stuff. I was bummed out when a lost the bid on an original ring and money clip from the show. I do have hopes of increasing my collection because one of my friend's father is Russ Mayberry, who directed a bunch of episodes. He talked with his father and said that he had some stuff from the show that he would give me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Well I'm sure I just rambling on. Just wanted to say hi to everyone, Andy

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hello Magnum308, welcome!

It sounds like you've got yourself a nice collection of "Magnum Stuff"! What kinds of props do you have? Needless to say, those are some valuable stuff!

Oh, and Dan. What kind of Ferrari "model" is that? Is that something that you had to put together? Or did it come "as is"? If so, what is the product's name?

zaz
Ensign

#11 Post by zaz »

thats a cool collection magnum308, i would also be interested to know what props you have... i have season1 DVD, a pack of unopened trading cards i got at a junk auction ($1)!! and a original kids metal tv tray with sellecks picture on it from the show...i will be ordering the island hoppers T-shirt soon.. check out www.cafepress.com they have probably 5-6 different magnum themed shirts... :lol:

salmon58
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#12 Post by salmon58 »

You folks have some great stuff!

I only have the first three seasons on DVD, so next purchase will be season 4.

After that, I've just got to have the red Hawaiian shirt that TM wears so often!
"C'mon, T.C. Nothing can go wrong."

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Danno »

Dan-Really digging your avatar and your Ferrari model!
Thanks, SelleckLover, it's a cartoon I did a few months ago for fun:

Oh, and Dan. What kind of Ferrari "model" is that? Is that something that you had to put together? Or did it come "as is"? If so, what is the product's name?
James, the Ferrari model I got off eBay, it's a model by Western Models from 1982. It was the best I could find at the time. I've tried searching for a larger scale, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks guys, I think I'll get Larry's book.

Magnum308, that sounds really exciting... looking forward to hearing what happens!

MAGNUM308
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#14 Post by MAGNUM308 »

Most of the stuff I have is from the set, like a wood bowl, candle sticks, trivits. I make sure that I get a COA with them, that way I know they were from the set. If you look around on the web you can find quite a bit of stuff for not much money. I know it's not like having the bridge that Higgins built, but it's cool to have something from the show.

SelleckLover

#15 Post by SelleckLover »

Hello All,

Well, I did a little research (with the help of my hubby!)and found the web site with the pic of Tom's house. Go to: www.gettyimages.com

You will be on the home page when you click on the above. Click on "Editorial" and then on "Entertainment". Type Tom Selleck in the search box. There are 200 images of Tom starting with the most recent and going all the way back to his days on the soap "The Young & the Restless" in the early 1970's. In some of those pics he looks painfully young, but he still exudes all the Magnum magic! The pic of his house is Editorial # 51102354 on page 5. Unfortunately there are few images from his Magnum days here, but still worth a look I'd say. You can print out anything you want from the site, but it won't let you copy and paste. Happy viewing everyone!