Collecting Magnum Stuff

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#91 Post by Miss Q »

So is anyone going to bid???

A few years back I won on ebay the shirt TS wore during his stint on broadway. It was worn during the second act. He autographed the pocket before he donated it.

It was a custom tailored silk shirt.

I had the pleasure of watching him wear it several times while the play was running. :D

Miss Q
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#92 Post by SelleckLover »

I will bid on the jacket when I win the lottery! It's a little more than the budget allows! :D

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#93 Post by golfmobile »

Here's what the seller told me when I asked specific questions about the jacket:
The jacket was the only one for all seasons. Tom Selleck would give them out. It was given to me by Tom, my first season in 1985. I was a film editor, for three seasons.

which only raises MORE questions, as far as I'm concerned. If he's still a working film editor, why would he be selling this, just for the money? I guess that's the purpose of a "collectible" -- to sell it to someone who's willing to pay more? I'm not sure I'm expressing this correctly, but if I had something that evidenced my working on such a special project, I would sell it only if I really needed the money, and probably not even then. I could understand selling it if a crew member had given it to someone who didn't particularly value it. But to sell it when it was given to you BY TOM????

Or is he out of work now or disabled or something and needs the money?

Just more questions -- I'm too nosey, I guess.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover

#94 Post by SelleckLover »

You raise some good points there, golf.

Perhaps the seller of the jacket doesn't share our enthusiasm for the show. Maybe it was just 'another job' for him....I dunno. People in show business sometimes look at their jobs as just that....jobs. Especially an editor...maybe he had a bad experience while working on the show. I know when I was working, I didn't have any enthusiasm for my job like I do for Magnum! Or maybe he's like me....downsizing and getting rid of stuff because we're moving from a 4 bedroom condo with a 2 car garage to a one bedroom apartment with a carport(!). :D

mauimudpup
Ensign

#95 Post by mauimudpup »

I dont really have too many things. A Tigers cap but then I actually a fan of them anyways. I wear hawaiian shirts quite a bit too but I honestly can't say if its because I would anyway or cause MAgnum wore them. (Does it really matter?). One of these days Im going to get one of the st. joans cross rings.

In semi magnum related items. I bought a game called "Test Drive Unlimited" because it has all the actual roads and lets you drive anywhere on Oahu. Of course I drove to wear "robin's nest" is and found it was just empty land. Second disappointment then came when I found out the Playstation 2 version doesn't have ferrai in it either only the xbox one does. OH well its still fun to drive around hawaii in a e-type.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#96 Post by N1095A »

I can't afford the Rolex GMT, but I have a pretty good replica, and the Seiko Diver from "Rapture". I also have the ring, bracelet, belt, buckle, Tigers cap, VMO2 cap, Camo Seal cap, olive and khaki safari shirts, several banded collar dress shirts, Puma Easy Risers, Ray Ban Outdoorsman s , Pro Lok lock picks with zippered leather case, personalized autograph 8X10 Selleck photo. I'm working on a 1/18th scale TC's chopper, 1/18th scale Ferrari, Seasons 1-7 DVDs, etc,etc,etc,
Yeah, You could say I'm a collector.
On my list is a big one. I read a few years ago that there are props stored in the old studio building in Hawaii. Among them is the surf-ski. I'd love to buy that!
Last edited by N1095A on Tue May 20, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#97 Post by golfmobile »

N1095A,

You sound like a great fan! Glad to have you here! Where'd you find a Seiko watch copy? I'd love to have one. Though it probably wouldn't fit my 5.75" wrist . . . .

But no shirt? You can buy one online for $54 plus shipping. I was able to get one, used, on eBay, so it's "broken in," but it's a XL, and it's WAY too big for my 5'3" 115 lb. frame. I look like I'm wearing Omar-the-Tent-Maker's Hawaiian Magnum tent. Let me know if you're interested in it. If I could get $25 for it, then I would have at least half the funds to buy a new one in a woman's size (I can't find a small one used -- everyone who's ever bought one is apparently a big guy!).

Or if anyone else wants my Magnum shirt. I suppose I could use it for a winter nightgown, but I'd rather it "reside" with a Magnum fan who could wear it.

What 1:18 models are you making? The Revell models? I'm trying to get the GI Joe Ultimate Soldier MD500 (AH-6) to repaint like TC's and use with Magnum GI (check out www.roamingmagnumgi.blogspot.com, if you haven't heard of my endeavor along those lines).

Do you get the Sleuth Channel? It's running Seasons 1-3 (repeatedly!!) and you can tape/record those and save some money buying those seasons. That's what I'm doing for those shows, anyway.

Glad to welcome a True Collector here!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover

#98 Post by SelleckLover »

Hey golf! If you know what size you wear in Boy's clothing, I found a website that has boy's shirts for $16.99. Click on the link below:

http://store.shirtsofhawaii.com/vintagegarden3.html

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#99 Post by golfmobile »

SL,

THIS is the one I'm longing for (the one with the parrot in the print -- check the women's shirts -- and in addition to the women's shirt, I want the long tank dress and maybe the capri pants, but I DON'T like the sarong dress -- ugh! just my opinion . . . .):

Magnum Shirts

BUT look at the slideshow here for some MPI shots I haven't seen (LOVE the one with the gray background) plus another synopsis of the series -- rather negatively critical and abysmally punctuated -- "it's broad appeal" (uses "it's" for "its" TWICE!!) -- plus at least a dozen other egregious grammar and punctuation errors -- AGGHHHH (can we jointly stone Sandra Brennan, All-Movie Guide, for this appallingly inadequate, incomplete, and erroneous "review"?)!! (She's obviously NOT a fan -- did he slight her somewhere along the line and she took it out on him with THIS?)

Slideshow

Plus, when is some manufacturer going to reproduce the black-background-with-white-orchids print that was worn by TS every bit as much (plus SO many still publicity shots) as the red parrot shirt?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#100 Post by N1095A »

golfmobile wrote:N1095A,

You sound like a great fan! Glad to have you here! Where'd you find a Seiko watch copy? I'd love to have one. Though it probably wouldn't fit my 5.75" wrist . . . .

But no shirt? You can buy one online for $54 plus shipping. I was able to get one, used, on eBay, so it's "broken in," but it's a XL, and it's WAY too big for my 5'3" 115 lb. frame. I look like I'm wearing Omar-the-Tent-Maker's Hawaiian Magnum tent. Let me know if you're interested in it. If I could get $25 for it, then I would have at least half the funds to buy a new one in a woman's size (I can't find a small one used -- everyone who's ever bought one is apparently a big guy!).

Or if anyone else wants my Magnum shirt. I suppose I could use it for a winter nightgown, but I'd rather it "reside" with a Magnum fan who could wear it.

What 1:18 models are you making? The Revell models? I'm trying to get the GI Joe Ultimate Soldier MD500 (AH-6) to repaint like TC's and use with Magnum GI (check out www.roamingmagnumgi.blogspot.com, if you haven't heard of my endeavor along those lines).

Do you get the Sleuth Channel? It's running Seasons 1-3 (repeatedly!!) and you can tape/record those and save some money buying those seasons. That's what I'm doing for those shows, anyway.

Glad to welcome a True Collector here!

golf
I found a Seiko in 1990. I went to a jewelry store and looked through catalogues til I found one. Mine even fooled a Rolex retailer once at first glance. They do come up on Ebay from time to time.
The revell models are generally not very accurate. I bought a 1/18th scale diecast AH-6 Little Bird with doors from Ebay, that I'm converting to TC's chopper. I have to change the skids, interior, and exhaust before repainting. The 1/18th Ferrari 308 GTS is by Kyosho, also from Ebay. It's a really nice model, but there are changes that have to be made. The grilles in front (bonnet) and headlight area need to be painted black, The windshield frame needs to be painted red (the '84 is my favorite), the exhaust has to be changed from the euro version to the US version. and the interior has to be changed (painted) tan.
I fooled around with Hawiian shirts when I was a teenager back in the 80's but they weren't really me. Instead I have opted for the cotton military type shirts, and the banded collar dress shirts.
I like to be able to wear my Magnum stuff, and go un-noticed by anyone who doesn't know the show.
I have seen Magnum GI, and think it's pretty cute. Kind of makes me want one of those dancing hulua girls for my dashboard :lol:

Building models has been a longtime hobby of mine. Although I don't yet have photos of the MPI vehicles, I do have some of my work on photobucket Please feel free to check it out http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/TX23_MCB/
Last edited by N1095A on Tue May 20, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#101 Post by eegorr »

golfmobile wrote:I was able to get one, used, on eBay, so it's "broken in," but it's a XL, and it's WAY too big for my 5'3" 115 lb. frame. I look like I'm wearing Omar-the-Tent-Maker's Hawaiian Magnum tent. Let me know if you're interested in it. If I could get $25 for it, then I would have at least half the funds to buy a new one in a woman's size (I can't find a small one used -- everyone who's ever bought one is apparently a big guy!).

Golf, do you still have that shirt? Is it in good shape? If so, I would be willing to give you $25 for it, shipped, and I will even ship you the shirt I bought off of eBay, which turned out to be too small for me. It fits my wife, who is about your size, but she doesn't want it. They said it was a medium, but it seems more like a small to me. As you pointed out, it is not the official pattern, but it is in good shape.

Normally, I would probably take a large, but an XL would probably work out okay for me... certainly better than the one I have! How do the measurements compare to those in the chart here?

Send me a PM if you want to do the swap...

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#102 Post by golfmobile »

eegorr,

Check you PMs.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#103 Post by golfmobile »

Hey, this is interesting:

"Final Final Wrap" crew t-shirt

on eBay.

Kinda sad, in a way, isn't it? The end of an "era" for a lot of folks -- but still good of TS to give them the 8th.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

zendragon
Lieutenant

#104 Post by zendragon »

So collectors, time to pick your brain.

Those RayBans, aviator, does anyone know what color lenses?

And on the belt, is there a specific buckle or is it just a military web belt?

HIGGIE BABY
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Magnum exact GMT watch for $46

#105 Post by HIGGIE BABY »

Hey, thought I would share what I found. I watched the episode that TM falls off his surf ski due to some crazy kids in a speed boat. In that episode, Magnum's watch is shown up close but his dad is wearing it. I wanted to see exactly what it looked like. Then I went on ebay and found there is a imitation Rolex of that exact GMT watch but it is made by the brand "Alpha Watches". I put in a bid which was around $25 or $30. I lost the bid which was good because I found a web site that sells them for $46 at http://www.alpha-watch.com. They come out of Hong Kong but this is why the price is good off the web site. On ebay the watch sold for about $40 but there is a $20 shipping and handling fee which comes to about $60. On the web site, it's just $46.99 with no shipping or handling fee. I know this because I ended up purchasing this watch off the web site and I was only charged the $46.99. I did compare the watch with Magnums from several close shots of the watch throughout the shows and the ONLY difference and I mean ONLY is were it says "ROLEX", it says "ALPHA". Everything else is EXACTLY the same. The watch is also SS. I will let you know how it looks when it arrives. I think I found the Seiko's version of the watch but it's not exact as the Alpha watch is. Just to let everyone know since I can't afford a $8,000 GMT Masters Rolex. Aloha
"Ohh...my...god...Magnum!!!" -Higgins