Your least favorite episode

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#31 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

There are three that I think are inferior to the rest: Kiss of the Sabre, Novel Connection (there is just something I don't like about Angela Landusbury), and Murder By Night. Saying that, I will qualify it with even a bad Magnum is better than most shows!

Bob Gnuheart
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here ya go

#32 Post by Bob Gnuheart »

Kona Winds was awful.

Birds of a Feather stunk.

Summer School and Texas Lightning - yeeecch

But the worst was Death & Taxes. The cheesy music, the cheesy nursery rhymes, the cheesy laugh. Horrible!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Here ya go

#33 Post by J.J. Walters »

Bob Gnuheart wrote:But the worst was Death & Taxes. The cheesy music, the cheesy nursery rhymes, the cheesy laugh. Horrible!
:shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#34 Post by Doc Ibold »

Bob Gnuheart wrote:Kona Winds was awful.

But the worst was Death & Taxes. The cheesy music, the cheesy nursery rhymes, the cheesy laugh. Horrible!
While I respect your opinion.. I must follow the J.J. Dubs path of....

But, here in our little corner of the universe... everyone has their say....

But for posterity...

I leave you with...

For the record... Photo Play, I Do, Two Birds of a Feather, Smaller Than Life (That fight scene with Waldo and Skuler is just STUPID), and several others who escape me at the moment.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#35 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Bob Gnuheart wrote:Kona Winds was awful.

I'm thinking this was a tounge in cheek comment!

Carmen
MPI

#36 Post by Carmen »

Mine is "Two birds of a feather", normally I need about 10 minutes to watch this one, just not enough TS in it ...
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

MyGod!
Lieutenant Commander

#37 Post by MyGod! »

Wow, I like Kona Winds and Summer School quite a bit. How come ye Magnum lovers dislike Summer School?

DarCA
Rear Admiral

#38 Post by DarCA »

I have to go with Birds of a Feather - I just cannot watch that episode.

sgk4
Ensign

#39 Post by sgk4 »

You can't watch it? I've never finished it! The only MPI episode I turned off and refused to go back to.

It was just BORING. I wasn't bothered that TM and crew took a backseat for a spin off, but the premise was terribly boring.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by lutherhgillis »

Bob Gnuheart wrote:

I concur with James... :shock: :shock: :shock:

To me, D&T was maybe the best episode ever. I love how they dealt with the topic. The cops were useless. Magnum took the case personally since some of his former clients were being killed. Magnum outsmarted the cops and solved the thing himself.

I also loved how Milton Collins teased Magnum about La Bulle and Vietnam. To top it all off, he died with the secrets... Magnum wraps this one up just in time to go off by himself on his surfski to celebrate the 4th of July! Priceless...

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#41 Post by Jodykmg365 »

I loved Summer School. I really liked R.J. and his mischiefness. As for Kona Winds, I agree, it was really bad. I stayed a bit lost throughout the whole thing, and the ending just didn't help.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by lutherhgillis »

I'm not disagreeing with you but I am amazed at the differences in our tastes. I loved Kona Winds because the actions of the people were off the norm just like the weather because of the winds. TM even says that the winds cause even temperate men to behave irrationally as he did.

I didn't like the way he sacked another man's wife but I thought the epi was brilliantly written. The lady had planned the entire chirade in advance and it was a pretty good plan at that. Magnum showed great savvy in figuring our the plot (with a little help from Rick's friend Big Ed Kapolona the Luau King) even though he was emotionally involved (at least a little) with the lady.

Summer School was little lame to me. RJ was a total snot. He didn't bring anything new or exciting to the epi. Rick and TC were totally wasted in the epi. And to top it all off, RJ didn't learn a darned thing while he was there in that he sold the green Ferrari for cash before leaving the island after giving Higgins the 'I've changed' speech.

I think Birds of a Feather or the MSW crossover qualify as potential worst ever shows.

Mahalo

arri
Lieutenant Commander

Birds of a feather...Raiders of te lost art.

#43 Post by arri »

Both were cheesey and bad..equally

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#44 Post by Agatha »

It's been a while since I've checked in with you all. Thought I'd weigh in on this topic.

I only have the first four seasons...but my LEAST favorite episodes are By It's Cover...I have no use for Stuart Margolin. He always plays such slimy and disreputable characters. I didn't like him on Rockford files either. I suppose that means he's a good actor...Yech!

My next least favorite is Legacy from a Friend. You know, I usually enjoy Annie Potts but in this episode, her voice drives me CRAZY!! She's SO whiney!! I end up thinking I'm going to scream!!

In both of these stories Thomas is SO GULLIBLE that I can't even believe it and that may be another reason why I don't like them.

But my all time least favorite is I Witness. Can't watch it. Watched it once and can't watch it again. Luckily, it's the only episode on side 2 of the disc so I just never turn it over.

:)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by lutherhgillis »

I don't really care for Stuart Margolin's type of character portrayal either. He plays a slimeball usually. His character in "Book" was a real jerk. However, he played it very well ad thie is one of my mid-tier favorites. I like Magnum's loyalty to his friend even though it was a setup. I like how they turned the tables on the narc. As I understand it, it is not that unusual to have bad guy narcs in the squad. I guess it's the 'lure of easy money that has a very strong appeal' (pardon the quote from the 80's trash song by Glen Frey).

I know the MPI episodes seem a little hokey now but in the 80s it was really cool and very contemporary. I like the way they dealt with real subjects but kept everything comical and lighthearted.