Any drummers out there who love the original series drum tracks?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

metalmoose
Lieutenant Commander

Any drummers out there who love the original series drum tracks?

#1 Post by metalmoose »

As a musician and huge fan of Magnum PI, I can't think about a favorite episode without instantly recalling certain scenes in my mind and hearing the amazing and fitting music that accompanied the show. First you make think of the electric guitar or string section, but what about the stylish early 80's drum sound! It's a sound that started in the 70's that was frequently used in the studio, but really has been totally forgotten in recent music. I believe the toms were recorded as "concert toms" with the bottom skins removed for microphone insertion. It gave the drums that "barw" sound that I never used to like, but has totally grown on me over the years, especially now that hardly anyone uses that sound anymore. The drums were placed so fittingly over scenes to give a sense of suspense or excitement. The high hat would tick out the most crazy beats, going on and on until the scene came to a climax, (which could be a while)! I can picture whoever the drummer was, just sitting behind his drum kit, in front of a big monitor TV and clicking out the crazy beats to the suspenseful stalking or chase scenes, maybe making them up as he goes. In my opinion, it's all about style, and Magnum hit the mark for so many reasons. Damn, I love that show!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Any drummers out there who love the original series drum tracks?

#2 Post by 308GUY »

Yes! Good observation, and great conclusion.

Another thing that helped make MPI what it is/was....just one that isn't blatantly obvious to the average viewer.

One of those things that once having heard/seen, would be missed if absent, but if it'd never been there, we probably wouldn't be discussing on this board, as the show might have disappeared into obscurity!

I do like the "new" theme, along with the crowd, and I don't know that the original theme would have played out well to the end of the series, but it does have a certain "old school" charm in a sort of "jazzy" sense.

What episode was it that JQH uses Freebairn Smiths name, but in reference to somebody in the episode, NOT as the composer of the original theme?

Well, there's a Magnum PI "trivia" question for ya'! LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :higgins:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

metalmoose
Lieutenant Commander

#3 Post by metalmoose »

I has to be one I don't watch repeatedly and not knowing is bothering me.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#4 Post by Pahonu »

I don’t know the answer, but somehow feel he used the name as Lieutenant Freebairn Smith in one of his reminiscences about the war. Could be off on that though.

metalmoose
Lieutenant Commander

#5 Post by metalmoose »

That sounds familiar now that I think about it.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#6 Post by Pahonu »

I should have written “leftenant” as Higgy would have said. :lol: