John Candy as Magnum

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MHTR
Vice Admiral

John Candy as Magnum

#1 Post by MHTR »

Riyan17
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: John Candy as Magnum

#2 Post by Riyan17 »

John Candy as Magnum would have been a comedic whirlwind in the iconic role. His larger-than-life presence and impeccable timing could have added a unique charm to the character, blending humor with the trademark Magnum suaveness.story saver While it would have been a departure from the original portrayal, Candy's versatility and comedic genius could have breathed new life into the character, creating a memorable reinterpretation.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

MHTR wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:41 pm Okay, this was new to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVcivvkBgmw&t=43
I used watch the occasional SCTV episode, but never saw this, thanks. MPI was at the height of its popularity at the time and appeared in a spoof by Mad Magazine also around this time. I was a little too young to be staying up late for SCTV, but I read the Mad Magazine at the library.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Thank you so much for sharing this. Candy's talent has stood the test of time, how many out of all those SNL comics who got movie deals ever made you get all misty like the big guy did
at the end of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles"? And he was one proud Canuck, there never was any chance he'd blow off the Great White North for American citizenship in order to
facilitate a Hollywood career.

Pahonu

#5 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:39 am

Thank you so much for sharing this. Candy's talent has stood the test of time, how many out of all those SNL comics who got movie deals ever made you get all misty like the big guy did
at the end of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles"? And he was one proud Canuck, there never was any chance he'd blow off the Great White North for American citizenship in order to
My parents were also Canucks, even though they made their way to “Hollywood”. Thanks for the comment Dobie.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:19 am

My parents were also Canucks, even though they made their way to “Hollywood”. Thanks for the comment Dobie.
Pahonu,
Call me Mr. Thicky, but I'm not sure if you were irked by my comment. On second thought I'm betting yes.
I can see now I was clumsy in my wording. Better to say Candy chose to keep one foot in both countries as he strove to make it big in the worldwide cinematic capital of Hollywood
while also investing time and money in his hometown's CFL team and becoming a beloved local hero.
Also "Canuck" is used with affection as that's how my childhood pal Glen's Canadian family described themselves.
In any event I apologize, it was not my intent to insult you.

Pahonu

#7 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:32 am
Pahonu wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:19 am

Pahonu,
Call me Mr. Thicky, but I'm not sure if you were irked by my comment. On second thought I'm betting yes.
I can see now I was clumsy in my wording. Better to say Candy chose to keep one foot in both countries as he strove to make it big in the worldwide cinematic capital of Hollywood
while also investing time and money in his hometown's CFL team and becoming a beloved local hero.
Also "Canuck" is used with affection as that's how my childhood pal Glen's Canadian family described themselves.
In any event I apologize, it was not my intent to insult you.
No offense at all, Dobie. My father’s handle on the CB in his old truck was actually Canuck. He never gave up his Canadian citizenship either, nor my mother. He was very proud of his citizenship too, and his grave marker has a maple leaf of it. They came to SoCal in 1965 for better job opportunities and he made a good living as an electrician here until he retired in 1999.