Entire series on sale at $25 on iTunes

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Entire series on sale at $25 on iTunes

#1 Post by eagle »

The entire series is on sale for $25 on iTunes right now. I bought it in the hopes that it would be higher quality than my DVDs, but so far it does not seem to be, but to be fair I only watched the first 20-30 seconds of the intro on the pilot. Hopefully it improves, but in any case it'll be nice to have this convenient set, and $25 isn't bad.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Entire series on sale at $25 on iTunes

#2 Post by eagle »

I synchronized my DVD with the iTunes version, and I note a few things: First, the iTunes version is definitely higher resolution. Second, the iTunes version is darker. Third, the iTunes version is not the original as-aired version like on the original season 1 DVD set: The pilot does not include the original theme song or the original credit roll. It cuts directly from Magnum driving off after dropping the targa top, to the airport customs scene.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by Nikita70 »

It has its shortcomings but I believe the iTunes version is leaps and bounds better than the DVDS that have nowhere near the color or definition. Of course this also depends on how your TV resolution is and the settings for brightness, color, etc. and it’s a steal at that price.
It would have been better if they used the correct theme for the early episodes but you can’t have everything I guess.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by eagle »

Yes, I'm not complaining. I do wish they had used the earlier theme -- I wish they had used the broadcast versions instead of whatever version they are using.

But yes, for $25 this is a great deal, and I don't regret the purchase.

The more I watch, the more I note the higher resolution. It is easily visible in the pilot when looking at things like the leaves on the bushes, the keypad in the car when Magnum is stealing it, and the microcassette recorder used in the first scene. There is no comparison between the resolution of the DVDs and the iTunes set.

My next viewing will definitely be this iTunes set, and I'll watch my DVDs for things like the crossover episodes and the early theme song.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by eagle »

I started watching the iTunes set the other day -- watched the pilot. I can definitely tell the quality difference between this and my DVDs -- this set is obviously clearer and higher resolution. I wish it was the original broadcasts, but I'll take this for the quality. I'll still watch the original DVDs (of the first half of season 1 anyway) to get the original theme song and intro.

For those of you who are iTunes/Apple TV (app) users, this is a set to consider.