"Missing episodes" in the UK?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

tobymeres
Ensign

"Missing episodes" in the UK?

#1 Post by tobymeres »

Hello folks

I'm trying to combine research with my own memories in a small project I'm doing on British television and I wondered if anyone could help with these questions:

(1) Does anyone recall the episode where Magnum and Higgins are having one of their many arguments while Magnum is eating raw meat? I think Magnum even falls face down on the bed in despair. Could be season 5 or 6.

(2) Another episode where Magnum is driving a bus load of people (could be kids) and they are run off the road and he asks if everyone is OK. Possibly from a later season.

(3) Does anyone know if the "Deja Vu" episodes were screened in the UK?

(4) I cannot find any record of season 7 being shown in my region (South West). These should have been screened in 1989, as they started showing the final season in 1990. Some of the final season eps were not shown until well into 1991. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm sure there is a logical explanation.

Thanks
tobymeres

Sam
Fleet Admiral

Re: "Missing episodes" in the UK?

#2 Post by Sam »

Hi tobymeres,
Welcome aboard...
Regarding your question number 2..I believe the episode is from season 5...Murder 101..Magnum was driving his students in Danny's van.

https://magnum-mania.com/images/5_8_z_full.jpg

metalmoose
Lieutenant Commander

#3 Post by metalmoose »

Murder 101, an all time favorite of mine, gnarly!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#4 Post by Pahonu »

tobymeres wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:43 pm Hello folks

I'm trying to combine research with my own memories in a small project I'm doing on British television and I wondered if anyone could help with these questions:

(1) Does anyone recall the episode where Magnum and Higgins are having one of their many arguments while Magnum is eating raw meat? I think Magnum even falls face down on the bed in despair. Could be season 5 or 6.

(2) Another episode where Magnum is driving a bus load of people (could be kids) and they are run off the road and he asks if everyone is OK. Possibly from a later season.

(4) I cannot find any record of season 7 being shown in my region (South West). These should have been screened in 1989, as they started showing the final season in 1990. Some of the final season eps were not shown until well into 1991. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm sure there is a logical explanation.

Thanks
tobymeres
Regarding question #1, there is an episode where Magnum is using a cleaver or some other knife to cut up meat, I think while watching TV, and he is startled by Higgins as he is chopping. I don’t know the episode name and I don’t recall any episode where Magnum is eating raw meat.

waverly2211
Captain

#5 Post by waverly2211 »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:36 am

Thanks
tobymeres
Regarding question #1, there is an episode where Magnum is using a cleaver or some other knife to cut up meat, I think while watching TV, and he is startled by Higgins as he is chopping. I don’t know the episode name and I don’t recall any episode where Magnum is eating raw meat.
https://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4467

Pahonu

#6 Post by Pahonu »

waverly2211 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:25 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:36 am

Thanks
tobymeres
https://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4467
Thank you!

tobymeres
Ensign

#7 Post by tobymeres »

Thanks to Sam and metalmoose for #2 (and for the kind welcome).

Thanks for Pahonu and waverly2211 for #1. It is possible that I have confused (or combined) two different episodes. The raw meat one you mention is "I Never Wanted To Go To France Anyway" but I'm sure there is another one where Magnum and Higgins are arguing and Magnum just falls face down in despair.

Pahonu

#8 Post by Pahonu »

tobymeres wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:50 pm Thanks to Sam and metalmoose for #2 (and for the kind welcome).

Thanks for Pahonu and waverly2211 for #1. It is possible that I have confused (or combined) two different episodes. The raw meat one you mention is "I Never Wanted To Go To France Anyway" but I'm sure there is another one where Magnum and Higgins are arguing and Magnum just falls face down in despair.
I think there’s more than one scene over the years where Magnum drops his head in frustration/disbelief looking straight down. He sometimes nods his head back and forth while doing so. Sometimes he closes his eyes too. I think this is part of Selleck’s comedic acting style. I believe he did some similar gestures on Friends.

What I keyed in on was your comment about raw meat. The only other thing that comes to mind is him eating sashimi with Earl in Mr. White Death. “Mags” may have had such a response in that scene but I can’t recall from memory. Anyone else have any ideas?

litefoot
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by litefoot »

tobymeres wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:43 pm (3) Does anyone know if the "Deja Vu" episodes were screened in the UK?

Thanks
tobymeres
As a Brit I don't know the answer to these. You might have to trawl ebay for 1989 editions of TV Times? Presumably there would be a Southern variant of the magazine? Don't search for the Radio Times magazine, as they didn't start including ITV and Channel 4 listings until 1991.

You could also try the British Library that would presumably have the magazines archived.

tobymeres
Ensign

#10 Post by tobymeres »

Thanks, litefoot. That is correct. The region was TSW.

In case anyone is interested, I found the scene. It is in "Kiss of the Sabre," early on, when Higgins is telling Magnum to move out, and he collapses face down on the bed in despair. I was confusing this with a later scene where Magnum is talking to Betty and munching pizza (not raw meat).