what is the episode where Magnum "jumped the shark"?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Thomas Tinto
Lieutenant Junior Grade

what is the episode where Magnum "jumped the shark"?

#1 Post by Thomas Tinto »

for the uninitiated, the term "jumping the shark" indicates the moment in which a TV series or a film saga, after having reached the peak of critical and public appreciation, begins its slow qualitative decline. it all comes from the second episode of the fifth season of the famous sitcom "Happy days" in which Fonzie actually jumps a shark while water skiing. A negative turning point in the series, poorly digested by the general public at the time, which presaged the distortion of the main characters, and an abandonment to the beloved atmospheres of the first seasons. almost every TV series gets that moment sooner or later, and I bet that even our Magnum hasn't been exempt from the infamous "jump the shark" and I'm curious to know which episode "jump the shark" in your opinion.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

Re: what is the episode where Magnum "jumped the shark"?

#2 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Magnum P.I. never jumped the shark, but this forum just might have.
Faith and Begorrah!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

That phrase has been around for quite a few years. I remember becoming familiar with it in the late 90’s but it goes back further, I believe. I also remember that Magnum pi was regarded as one of a handful of long-running shows that never did jump the shark. I agree with that.

After reading this, I recalled an LA Times article from several years ago by the writer of that particular Happy Days episode who explained the phrase’s origin. He also pointed out that Happy Days was still highly rated and went on for many more years after that episode, debunking the premise that it was the beginning of a downward spiral for the series. Regardless of those facts, the phrase took off and is used in that way now, even if not accurate.

I’ll see if so can locate it. I recall really enjoying reading it.

Edit:
That was easier than I thought. It was 13 years ago.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#4 Post by Aloha Friday »

For me, I think Magnum "jumped the shark" when Higgins left the estate to become the leader of some militia group in Season 6; Mad Dogs and Englishmen...glad the writers got back on track after that turd. That episode was absurd.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Pahonu

#5 Post by Pahonu »

Aloha Friday wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:08 pm For me, I think Magnum "jumped the shark" when Higgins left the estate to become the leader of some militia group in Season 6; Mad Dogs and Englishmen...glad the writers got back on track after that turd. That episode was absurd.
I wasn’t a fan of that episode either, but I think the phrase generally refers to the beginning of a downward spiral for a series, meaning the following shows were of noticeably poorer quality than earlier episodes. It’s not just about a poor episode in a later season. Death and Taxes, Limbo, Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts, and Unfinished Business, among others are all highly regarded episodes that rank high compared to earlier episodes yet came after Mad Dogs and Englishmen.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by T.Q. »

The Lost Art episode.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

It's funny because I have very fond memories of Fonzie jumping the shark and definitely hold that episode as one of the better ones of the series. I don't get the hate for it. Was it really that ridiculous that Fonzie (or anyone for that matter) could actually jump over some sharks on skis? It seems to me that Fonzie's "magic touch" or "magic tap" or whatever you want to call it (where he hits something or taps something and something "magically" happens) is a much more ridiculous premise and yet no one seemed to have any issues with that. So jumping over a shark is hardly something unbelievable.

If the show "jumped the shark" then I would say that would be when Ron Howard left at the end of the 1979-1980 season. Richie kept the show fairly grounded and I liked it when Fonzie was a secondary character (even though for all intents and purposes he was the "star" of the show). When the 80s rolled around I think it was definitely time for Happy Days to say good-bye. It ran for 4 seasons too long.

Pahonu

#8 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:25 pm It's funny because I have very fond memories of Fonzie jumping the shark and definitely hold that episode as one of the better ones of the series. I don't get the hate for it. Was it really that ridiculous that Fonzie (or anyone for that matter) could actually jump over some sharks on skis? It seems to me that Fonzie's "magic touch" or "magic tap" or whatever you want to call it (where he hits something or taps something and something "magically" happens) is a much more ridiculous premise and yet no one seemed to have any issues with that. So jumping over a shark is hardly something unbelievable.

If the show "jumped the shark" then I would say that would be when Ron Howard left at the end of the 1979-1980 season. Richie kept the show fairly grounded and I liked it when Fonzie was a secondary character (even though for all intents and purposes he was the "star" of the show). When the 80s rolled around I think it was definitely time for Happy Days to say good-bye. It ran for 4 seasons too long.
Hey Ivan, Did you read the article I linked above? The episode was part of three in a series set in Hollywood. I agree that the show actually jumped the shark much later than that episode, but the phrase caught on as the writer described.

Magnum certainly has some lower quality episodes, but they aren’t all after a certain season or a particular episode where it “jumped the shark”.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#9 Post by Aloha Friday »

Didn't the guy that wrote the article say he was the one that wrote the jumping the shark episode?
To me Happy Days "jumped the shark" when Joanie and Chachi became the main characters...they got their own spin off show but of course Happy Days was a bit long in the tooth by then. Richie, Ralph and Potsie were getting old and uninteresting. Same for Laverne and Shirley, when they all moved from Milwaukee to Hollywood. I don't think it always means a ratings decline, but definitely an indication the writers have run out of ideas. The introduction of the little girl to move in with the Bunkers on All in the Family is another example. WTH? Edith and Gloria get replaced by a 9 year old. Jumping the shark.
Magnum PI is my all-time favorite show, but I think it fell victim to the writers running out of ideas and started to copy other popular TV and movie themes. Season 7 started to look like Miami Vice at times.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Pahonu

#10 Post by Pahonu »

Aloha Friday wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:18 am Didn't the guy that wrote the article say he was the one that wrote the jumping the shark episode?
To me Happy Days "jumped the shark" when Joanie and Chachi became the main characters...they got their own spin off show but of course Happy Days was a bit long in the tooth by then. Richie, Ralph and Potsie were getting old and uninteresting. Same for Laverne and Shirley, when they all moved from Milwaukee to Hollywood. I don't think it always means a ratings decline, but definitely an indication the writers have run out of ideas. The introduction of the little girl to move in with the Bunkers on All in the Family is another example. WTH? Edith and Gloria get replaced by a 9 year old. Jumping the shark.
Magnum PI is my all-time favorite show, but I think it fell victim to the writers running out of ideas and started to copy other popular TV and movie themes. Season 7 started to look like Miami Vice at times.
Yes, the author of the article did write the episode. That was his point. When that episode aired, Happy Days was still very popular, with its original cast, and not wanting for new characters in the lead like Joanie and Chachi. Those things came later, but the phrase “jump the shark” became associated with it from that episode. I remember reading about many of the tropes that typified shows that had “jumped”, such as introducing a baby, refocusing on new characters, or replacing a character with a new actor entirely. I don’t think MPI did any of these things.

Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:02 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:25 pm It's funny because I have very fond memories of Fonzie jumping the shark and definitely hold that episode as one of the better ones of the series. I don't get the hate for it. Was it really that ridiculous that Fonzie (or anyone for that matter) could actually jump over some sharks on skis? It seems to me that Fonzie's "magic touch" or "magic tap" or whatever you want to call it (where he hits something or taps something and something "magically" happens) is a much more ridiculous premise and yet no one seemed to have any issues with that. So jumping over a shark is hardly something unbelievable.

Hey Ivan, Did you read the article I linked above? The episode was part of three in a series set in Hollywood. I agree that the show actually jumped the shark much later than that episode, but the phrase caught on as the writer described.

Magnum certainly has some lower quality episodes, but they aren’t all after a certain season or a particular episode where it “jumped the shark”.
Yes I'm aware that this episode was part of the Hollywood trilogy. Still never had a problem with it. I believe this is also the season that introduced Chachi, which I also didn't have a problem with. Not yet anyway. The problem with Chachi came later when Richie and Ralph left (for the army?) and that just left Potsie and nothing to do with his character. So then the show started revolving around Fonzie, Chachi, and Joanie. And that just wasn't the same.

Pahonu

#12 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:16 am

Yes I'm aware that this episode was part of the Hollywood trilogy. Still never had a problem with it. I believe this is also the season that introduced Chachi, which I also didn't have a problem with. Not yet anyway. The problem with Chachi came later when Richie and Ralph left (for the army?) and that just left Potsie and nothing to do with his character. So then the show started revolving around Fonzie, Chachi, and Joanie. And that just wasn't the same.
You describe very well when the show actually jumped the shark. I was a young when it originally aired, but it was a show my family watched and I remember those details. They also brought in Ted McGinley in the final few seasons. He has since become known as the “patron saint of jumping the shark”, for the multiple shows where he replaced characters in the series. Love Boat and Married with Children are other examples. In one episode of Married with Children, McGinley even spoofed his own reputation by referring to Al Bundy as "Captain? I mean, Fonzie? ....Al?"

Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:21 pm

You describe very well when the show actually jumped the shark. I was a young when it originally aired, but it was a show my family watched and I remember those details. They also brought in Ted McGinley in the final few seasons. He has since become known as the “patron saint of jumping the shark”, for the multiple shows where he replaced characters in the series. Love Boat and Married with Children are other examples. In one episode of Married with Children, McGinley even spoofed his own reputation by referring to Al Bundy as "Captain? I mean, Fonzie? ....Al?"
But if I recall correctly Married... With Children was even more popular with Ted McGinley onboard as Jefferson. And the show ran for a long time after he joined. David Garrison (who played Steve, and whom I actually preferred to Jefferson) was only with the show for the first few seasons - 3 or 4? The show ran for a total of 11 seasons.

Pahonu

#14 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:34 pm
Pahonu wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:21 pm

But if I recall correctly Married... With Children was even more popular with Ted McGinley onboard as Jefferson. And the show ran for a long time after he joined. David Garrison (who played Steve, and whom I actually preferred to Jefferson) was only with the show for the first few seasons - 3 or 4? The show ran for a total of 11 seasons.
He very well may have been more popular. I don’t know, but he had an unusual number of roles in television where he replaced a character or was brought in to the series later. It’s no commentary about his career or abilities as an actor, perhaps it happened because of his reliability as a solid actor. Either way, he seemed to have a good sense of humor about it based on the scene I described above and his joking about it.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by terryfromkerry »

Thomas Tinto wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:04 pm for the uninitiated, the term "jumping the shark" indicates the moment in which a TV series or a film saga, after having reached the peak of critical and public appreciation, begins its slow qualitative decline. it all comes from the second episode of the fifth season of the famous sitcom "Happy days" in which Fonzie actually jumps a shark while water skiing. A negative turning point in the series, poorly digested by the general public at the time, which presaged the distortion of the main characters, and an abandonment to the beloved atmospheres of the first seasons. almost every TV series gets that moment sooner or later, and I bet that even our Magnum hasn't been exempt from the infamous "jump the shark" and I'm curious to know which episode "jump the shark" in your opinion.
Thanks for the explanation Thomas Tinto. Best wishes from the uninitiated 😁
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".