Should the reboot have gone the way of Poker Face?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

Should the reboot have gone the way of Poker Face?

#1 Post by Magnum4eva »

The success of the Columboesque Poker Face kinda proves what everyone who destests this trend have been saying. They managed to create a show that was in the spirit of Columbo and the main character is very much like a female Columbo but without actually making her a female Columbo. Instead of doing another pointless and disrespectful reboot or "re-imagioning" they decided to take a risk and created a show with its own title and has to win viewers by its own merit. They also avoided all the polarizing reactions and division that reboots cause killing any real legacy for their new show. I wonder what would've happened had the Magnum reboot or all the others in recent years went this direction instead of becoming bootleg copies of classics?

Aloha Friday
Admiral

Re: Should the reboot have gone the way of Poker Face?

#2 Post by Aloha Friday »

I've not seen Poker Face, so not familiar with it at all, but I think I get what you are saying. I was thinking a couple weeks ago that the reboot of Magnum might have been better if the did a reboot of Hawaiian Eye instead. Unlike Magnum, don't recreate/reimagine all of the characters, but new names, new backgrounds. Keep the Investigative Agency on the island but that is where the similarities end. Have it stand on its own.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#3 Post by Magnum4eva »

Aloha Friday wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:39 pm I've not seen Poker Face, so not familiar with it at all, but I think I get what you are saying. I was thinking a couple weeks ago that the reboot of Magnum might have been better if the did a reboot of Hawaiian Eye instead. Unlike Magnum, don't recreate/reimagine all of the characters, but new names, new backgrounds. Keep the Investigative Agency on the island but that is where the similarities end. Have it stand on its own.
Exactly! That's exactly what I'm saying. I think you got a better chance of getting goodwill from most of the audience if they have similarities to a classic show that's familiar enough to win over old school tv fans while being a new show for a new audience. But... they don't seem to be smart enough to do that yet. Only Rian Johnson and CO that made Poker Face which is the modern day Columbo seem to have the brains to do that.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#4 Post by Aloha Friday »

I saw a commercial for a new "CBS Original" show MATLOCK starring Cathy Bates. I never watched Andy Griffith's Matlock, but again, another iconic character reimagined...the Hollywood writers are currently on strike, but it should be the audience as they have nothing original to offer.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#5 Post by Magnum4eva »

Aloha Friday wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:50 am I saw a commercial for a new "CBS Original" show MATLOCK starring Cathy Bates. I never watched Andy Griffith's Matlock, but again, another iconic character reimagined...the Hollywood writers are currently on strike, but it should be the audience as they have nothing original to offer.
Oh, don't get me started on that. Matlock is my childhood and I'm not here for it. Tbh it's telling that that trailer came out over a week ago and I just discovered it a few days ago. Saw nothing about it nor heard anything about it. Also interesting that after a week it only has 357 likes. I agree, we the audience need to be the ones on strike. I say we join the writers.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Aloha Friday wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:50 am I saw a commercial for a new "CBS Original" show MATLOCK starring Cathy Bates. I never watched Andy Griffith's Matlock, but again, another iconic character reimagined...the Hollywood writers are currently on strike, but it should be the audience as they have nothing original to offer.
How original. Take the original concept and replace the male lead with a female lead. Oh so groundbreaking!! :roll:

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#7 Post by Raykv423 »

Aloha Friday wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:39 pm I've not seen Poker Face, so not familiar with it at all, but I think I get what you are saying. I was thinking a couple weeks ago that the reboot of Magnum might have been better if the did a reboot of Hawaiian Eye instead. Unlike Magnum, don't recreate/reimagine all of the characters, but new names, new backgrounds. Keep the Investigative Agency on the island but that is where the similarities end. Have it stand on its own.
This 👆

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#8 Post by Raykv423 »

Actually, Kathy Bates' Matlock isn't the genderbend nor a relative of the original Matlock we all know and love and in that trailer, she actually mentioned the show and said something about she just happened to share the same last name as the fictional Matlock. I thought it's a pretty interesting turn for a reboot to have the original show it rebooted from being a TV show in-universe instead of sharing the same universe as that og show nor have the main character being a relative/genderbend of the main character from the original show. Still apphrensive about it though, in part of because of the title.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#9 Post by Aloha Friday »

That is an interesting tweek on reboots.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia