Fig Newtons

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Fig Newtons

#1 Post by eagle »

I have question...

Anybody know if Magnum's preference for Fig Newtons was product placement, or if Tom Selleck liked (or maybe still likes) them?

I'm guessing it was Selleck's preference, because the beers on the show were the fictional Coops & Old Düsseldorf.

Anybody know?

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Fig Newtons

#2 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:14 pm I have question...

Anybody know if Magnum's preference for Fig Newtons was product placement, or if Tom Selleck liked (or maybe still likes) them?

I'm guessing it was Selleck's preference, because the beers on the show were the fictional Coops & Old Düsseldorf.

Anybody know?
I can’t say for sure, but product placement was very uncommon then. It would limit potential advertisers from buying spots if you highlighted their competition, hence Coops and Old Düsseldorf. Budweiser wouldn’t pay for an ad if TM was drinking Coors in the episode at no cost to that brewer. I think your guess is correct that Fig Newtons were Selleck’s preference. Plus, they really didn’t have any direct competitors so the producers were probably okay with it.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Chris109 »

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#4 Post by Aloha Friday »

I do not recall if they ever show the packaging...you know it is a fig newton, but do you ever see the name brand? I do not recall...seems like they were always on a plate.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#5 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Fig Newtons were mentioned by name in Season 8's "Unfinished Business", they were on Magnums Shopping list and Higgins reads it aloud.
That reminds me of the time....

waverly2211
Captain

#6 Post by waverly2211 »

Selleck has stated multiple times in interviews that he doesn't like figs, but loves Fig Newton's.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I guess I'm more picky in my older age (I'm only 42) but I can't bring myself to put one of those things in my mouth anymore. I remember kinda liking Fig Newtons when I was maybe in my teens. Didn't love them but kinda liked them. Remember eating a few here and there. But I tried one a few years ago and really ended up spitting it out. I like my sweets to be a bit on the moist side (melt in my mouth) whereas these things are just so dry and really not appetizing at all. Maybe you gotta dunk them in milk like TM did but on their own they're just bleh... hard to swallow... give me a drink of water immediately after!!

And really... with so many desserts and snacks available out there... why would anyone go for Fig Newtowns??? :roll: Surely there are tastier sweets out there!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by eagle »

Ivan, they used to be more moist. Agree they are very dry today.

But I still like and eat them. In fact, I have a package in my desk drawer right now. :D

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

The only good fig newtons are the name brand Nabisco ones. All the knock offs and store brands are inedible.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by eagle »

I seem to recall thinking the Trader Joe's ones were pretty good too, but yes, pretty much the only good ones are the Nabisco ones, and that's what I have in my drawer. I miss the 2-tube packaging. Now they come in a tray with a sticky "resealable" cover.