Larry Manetti Interview

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

Larry Manetti Interview

#1 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Larry talks about his Blue Bloods appearance and a little about his stroke.

https://www.tvinsider.com/1089753/blue- ... heelchair/
Faith and Begorrah!

Aloha Friday
Admiral

Re: Larry Manetti Interview

#2 Post by Aloha Friday »

Sad about the stroke...I saw an interview on YouTube not too long ago and the way he spoke looked like he might have had a stroke, but he said nothing of it and you couldn't tell on his appearances in the reboot. I agree with his comment regarding the new show...it is completely different except for the names and the helicopter. I am looking forward to seeing Blue Bloods tonight...too bad the two do not have any scenes together.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

T’anks Paddy!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by T.Q. »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:15 pm Larry talks about his Blue Bloods appearance and a little about his stroke.

Good article. Thanks.

Another one from yesterday.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/magnum- ... 00355.html
He’s like my brother. He’s the most. He’s like a sweet bar of chocolate.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#5 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:04 pm
Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:15 pm Larry talks about his Blue Bloods appearance and a little about his stroke.

Good article. Thanks.

Another one from yesterday.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/magnum- ... 00355.html
He’s like my brother. He’s the most. He’s like a sweet bar of chocolate.
That was a fantastic interview. Good or bad, Frank Sinatra only moved at full speed.
Faith and Begorrah!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by eagle »

Thanks for posting this. I really like Larry, and I enjoyed his book. Unfortunately I never heard back from my request to have my book autographed.

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by Mr. Keoki »

Thanks for posting this interview.

Regarding "aloha magnum". I bought it on Larry's website and it came to me autographed. Which was a surprising touch. It was also much less expensive than Amazon at the time, which was odd to me.

I was hoping that I could use that autograph as a jumping off point for the others, but that didn't happen.
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#8 Post by Magnum4eva »

Great interview! Had no idea Manetti suffered a stroke but glad that he's doing well enough to still work. I still can't believe that they don't have Tom and Larry in scenes together in the Blue Bloods episode but hey, better than nothing. I won't ever watch the reboot but It's good that while he wasn't thrilled with it either that he and Roger were able to get some easy paychecks. He should get something out of it.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by terryfromkerry »

I read somewhere, it was Tom Selleck's decision that he and Larry would not appear on screen together in Blue Bloods. He was concerned a scene together might effect the credability of his Frank Reagan character. If I can find the article again I'll post it.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

terryfromkerry wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:36 am I read somewhere, it was Tom Selleck's decision that he and Larry would not appear on screen together in Blue Bloods. He was concerned a scene together might effect the credability of his Frank Reagan character. If I can find the article again I'll post it.
I just don't get that logic. What credibility? :roll: Frank Reagan is a fictional character. Does anyone actually think he's a real-life police commissioner? And Manetti is not playing Rick from MPI but a different character altogether. I don't see this as a cheap gimmick or anything like that. Just 2 actors doing a scene together. Does that mean Selleck can't share screen time with ANY actor that he once co-starred with in any other production? So we can't have Margaret Colin do a guest spot because she once played his girlfriend in Three Men and a Baby? The same could apply for numerous other actors from his past projects. So I just don't see what the big deal is.

waverly2211
Captain

#11 Post by waverly2211 »

terryfromkerry wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:36 am I read somewhere, it was Tom Selleck's decision that he and Larry would not appear on screen together in Blue Bloods. He was concerned a scene together might effect the credability of his Frank Reagan character. If I can find the article again I'll post it.
https://www.looper.com/1273628/blue-blo ... tar-first/

Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

waverly2211 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:01 pm
I'm really bugged by Selleck's comment that having Manetti on the show and especially the two of them sharing a scene together would "confuse the audience". :shock: :roll: Really, Tom? What are we? 5 years old??? It's called acting, Tom. Get over it. You play one character and Larry plays another character (not Rick). What's confusing about that? If anything we'll get a smile seeing the 2 of you together but there's nothing to be confused by. If I was Larry I might be offended, thinking there's another reason Tom didn't want me on the show. At first he didn't want Larry on the show at all. Then when he finally caved in he stipulated that they can't share a scene together. Weird. :?

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:14 pm
I'm really bugged by Selleck's comment that having Manetti on the show and especially the two of them sharing a scene together would "confuse the audience". :shock: :roll: Really, Tom? What are we? 5 years old??? It's called acting, Tom. Get over it. You play one character and Larry plays another character (not Rick). What's confusing about that? If anything we'll get a smile seeing the 2 of you together but there's nothing to be confused by. If I was Larry I might be offended, thinking there's another reason Tom didn't want me on the show. At first he didn't want Larry on the show at all. Then when he finally caved in he stipulated that they can't share a scene together. Weird. :?
You put it perfectly. It makes no sense. Rockford Files had James Garner's Maverick co-star Jack Kelly on at least twice, plus many of the same guest stars.
Is it possible having Larry on was the producers idea, and that unknown to them Tom was harboring some grudge? It all seems so out of character for Selleck
to behave in a petty way, but what else could it be seeing as how his "confuse the audience" gambit is, as you say, crappola.

Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:27 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:14 pm
You put it perfectly. It makes no sense. Rockford Files had James Garner's Maverick co-star Jack Kelly on at least twice, plus many of the same guest stars.
Is it possible having Larry on was the producers idea, and that unknown to them Tom was harboring some grudge? It all seems so out of character for Selleck
to behave in a petty way, but what else could it be seeing as how his "confuse the audience" gambit is, as you say, crappola.
Yep, Jack Kelly was on ROCKFORD twice and he shared screen time with Garner, even trying to punch his lights out in the classic "Beamer's Last Case" because he thought Rockford was having a fling with his wife. :lol: Selleck himself was in numerous projects with James Whitmore, Jr. (from ROCKFORD to MAGNUM to a number of failed TV-pilots) and that didn't confuse the audience, did it? Now, 40+ years later we the audience are so stupid that we'll be scratching our heads as to why elderly Rick from Magnum, PI is in the Big Apple talking to this elderly Police Commish who looks like an older version of Thomas Sullivan Magnum??? :? Dang, soooo confusing!!! Dis ting be making my head hurtz!! :x

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#15 Post by Aloha Friday »

I agree with you guys...kind of weird. Donnie Walberg did post a picture of them together with others in the cast in an Instagram post or was it a tweet...either way I was so confused.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia