Magnum and Burn Notice connection?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

Magnum and Burn Notice connection?

#1 Post by Magnum4eva »

I'm a huge Burn Notice fan as I am a Magnum fan and I can't help but see the similarities and have to wonder if Matt Nix is a big Magnum fan as well because there are definite similarities. The voice overs, a perfectly balanced light and dark tone with great quirky humor and heavy drama with great action. A iconic team, Michael and his mother Madeline have a somewhat similar dynamic to Thomas and Higgins etc. Also, Michael Westen definitely has a bit of Thomas Magnum in him with that suave, dangerous, sexy, badass side with a goofy snarky kid that creeps out often. Idk if anyone else here is a BN fan or even seen it before but this just crossed my mind as a huge fan of both landmark shows.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum and Burn Notice connection?

#2 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

The voice overs on Burn Notice are the reason I gave up on it after season 1. I nicknamed it the "explanarration" because it was so annoying to listen to Michael narrate every little detail. I love the voice over in Magnum and think it's part of what elevates the show to the best ever. That said, I don't think I like it on any other show. The last time I watched The Wonder Years it drove me crazy and I felt the same about Scrubs. Just more proof that MPI was lightening in a bottle!

My Little Voice
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by My Little Voice »

I really enjoyed Burn Notice too! As far as a Magnum connection, I do agree that the friendship/team work vibe is very similar on both shows. The beautiful location and cool/unique living arraignments of the main characters are also very similar.

I do think the narration is very different between the two. In Magnum, Thomas will often mention lessons or anecdotes from his past (childhood, young adult, etc.) that really flesh out his core values and give insight into the person he is presently. In Burn Notice, the voice overs are much less emotional/personal and play more like a verbal training manual for prospective agents. I enjoy the narration on both shows and feel they both really set the tone for their respective shows.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#4 Post by ConchRepublican »

Magnum4eva wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:51 am I'm a huge Burn Notice fan as I am a Magnum fan and I can't help but see the similarities and have to wonder if Matt Nix is a big Magnum fan as well because there are definite similarities. The voice overs, a perfectly balanced light and dark tone with great quirky humor and heavy drama with great action. A iconic team, Michael and his mother Madeline have a somewhat similar dynamic to Thomas and Higgins etc. Also, Michael Westen definitely has a bit of Thomas Magnum in him with that suave, dangerous, sexy, badass side with a goofy snarky kid that creeps out often. Idk if anyone else here is a BN fan or even seen it before but this just crossed my mind as a huge fan of both landmark shows.
I think there's is a definite vibe between the two. I was turned on to Burn Notice years ago by people in this forum. I wouldn't say there are direct connections but the team, friend actually, camaraderie is similar and having the mom thing isn't Higgins like but she does provide a bit of the moral compass. Big fan of the show.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#5 Post by Magnum4eva »

My Little Voice wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:07 pm I really enjoyed Burn Notice too! As far as a Magnum connection, I do agree that the friendship/team work vibe is very similar on both shows. The beautiful location and cool/unique living arraignments of the main characters are also very similar.

I do think the narration is very different between the two. In Magnum, Thomas will often mention lessons or anecdotes from his past (childhood, young adult, etc.) that really flesh out his core values and give insight into the person he is presently. In Burn Notice, the voice overs are much less emotional/personal and play more like a verbal training manual for prospective agents. I enjoy the narration on both shows and feel they both really set the tone for their respective shows.

I agree the narrations are very different and I enjoy both styles. They definitelty set the tones of their shows perfectly.

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by Magnum4eva »

ConchRepublican wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:11 pm
Magnum4eva wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:51 am I'm a huge Burn Notice fan as I am a Magnum fan and I can't help but see the similarities and have to wonder if Matt Nix is a big Magnum fan as well because there are definite similarities. The voice overs, a perfectly balanced light and dark tone with great quirky humor and heavy drama with great action. A iconic team, Michael and his mother Madeline have a somewhat similar dynamic to Thomas and Higgins etc. Also, Michael Westen definitely has a bit of Thomas Magnum in him with that suave, dangerous, sexy, badass side with a goofy snarky kid that creeps out often. Idk if anyone else here is a BN fan or even seen it before but this just crossed my mind as a huge fan of both landmark shows.
I think there's is a definite vibe between the two. I was turned on to Burn Notice years ago by people in this forum. I wouldn't say there are direct connections but the team, friend actually, camaraderie is similar and having the mom thing isn't Higgins like but she does provide a bit of the moral compass. Big fan of the show.

I agree that his mom and Higgins are very different dynamics for the most part but I do think that the comedy of both relationships have fun similarities. Michael's mom gets on his nerves like how Higgins gets on Magnum's nerves and both relationships evolved beautifully over the course of the series.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#7 Post by Aloha Friday »

I tried watching Burn Notice...never could connect with the lead character though. I like Sharon Gless as his mom and Bruce Campbell. I would have rather seen Bruce play the role of Michael Westen...he's a much better actor. The other guy, not so much. I think he tried to be too perfect and Fiona needs to eat a sandwich. Maybe it got better in later seasons.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia