Which Blu-ray Set Is Best?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Which Blu-ray Set Is Best?

#16 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:07 am
MaiTaiMan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:04 pm That would be the Mill Creek, Fabulous Films, & Elephant Films Blu-ray sets...as they (and the Universal DVD sets) used syndicated versions for the episodes.
I don't think you're reading what I'm writing. I'm specifically saying that the Universal DVD sets ARE NOT the same as the Mill Creek Blu-Rays. You're saying they are. If you have both then go and check "Knight of the Drones" on both and tell me it's the same exact content, just spliced together from 2 parts into 1 episode. I assure you that you will find footage in the Universal DVD that's missing on the Mill Creek Blu-Ray. So you can't say that they just took parts 1 & 2 and put them together to form a "2-hour" episode. I'm not talking about Turbine at all. Never heard of them so I can't comment. They may very well be the latest and greatest Knight Rider release so I'm not disputing that. Just talking about the differences between the Universal DVD and the Mill Creek Blu-Ray and "Knight of the Drones" in particular because I actually compared that episode. If you compare it let me know what you find.

As far as the original music I actually read that the songs originally heard when the series aired on NBC weren't the actual songs either but cover songs. So in the case of MIAMI VICE they were the actual songs by the actual singers but in the case of KR I read that they were always cover songs. If that's the case then I guess we're not really missing much because the songs on the Universal DVDs are also cover songs. Now, I compared several episodes between my Universal DVDs and Mill Creek Blu-Rays and the songs are mostly the same between the two (same cover songs) but the episode "Give Me Liberty... or Give Me Death" on the Blu-Ray has some crap song playing during the car chase scenes where on the DVD it plays Mellencamp's "Hurts So Good" cover. So I don't know what the deal is with that one. But anyway, I wasn't there during the original airings on NBC but that's what I read - that the originals were also covers.
I watched all three series when they originally aired. I have little doubt that Knight Rider used cover songs as that was standard practice in the industry to avoid paying huge fees to the original artists. It was Miami Vice that broke this pattern and it was well known at the time. They paid huge sums for their music budget and we would wait to hear what popular new music they used in the latest episode. It even influenced Magnum pi as it had original music in later seasons.

The only exception to this I can think of is WKRP in Cincinnati, which was of course about a radio station and used the popular music of its day. This lead to massive delays when releasing it on DVD, and they had to change the music in most episodes. The root of this problem is that broadcast/syndication copyright is different than VHS/DVD copyright.

Can’t comment on the editing differences.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:26 am
MaiTaiMan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:04 pm That would be the Mill Creek, Fabulous Films, & Elephant Films Blu-ray sets...as they (and the Universal DVD sets) used syndicated versions for the episodes.
I don't think you're reading what I'm writing. I'm specifically saying that the Universal DVD sets ARE NOT the same as the Mill Creek Blu-Rays. You're saying they are. If you have both then go and check "Knight of the Drones" on both and tell me it's the same exact content, just spliced together from 2 parts into 1 episode. I assure you that you will find footage in the Universal DVD that's missing on the Mill Creek Blu-Ray. So you can't say that they just took parts 1 & 2 and put them together to form a "2-hour" episode. I'm not talking about Turbine at all. Never heard of them so I can't comment. They may very well be the latest and greatest Knight Rider release so I'm not disputing that. Just talking about the differences between the Universal DVD and the Mill Creek Blu-Ray and "Knight of the Drones" in particular because I actually compared that episode. If you compare it let me know what you find.

As far as the original music I actually read that the songs originally heard when the series aired on NBC weren't the actual songs either but cover songs. So in the case of MIAMI VICE they were the actual songs by the actual singers but in the case of KR I read that they were always cover songs. If that's the case then I guess we're not really missing much because the songs on the Universal DVDs are also cover songs. Now, I compared several episodes between my Universal DVDs and Mill Creek Blu-Rays and the songs are mostly the same between the two (same cover songs) but the episode "Give Me Liberty... or Give Me Death" on the Blu-Ray has some crap song playing during the car chase scenes where on the DVD it plays Mellencamp's "Hurts So Good" cover. So I don't know what the deal is with that one. But anyway, I wasn't there during the original airings on NBC but that's what I read - that the originals were also covers.
What I am saying is (whether you like or believe it or not) Universal used syndicated (aka cut/edited) versions for the episodes when first releasing their older shows to DVD. Subsequently they provided the same versions to other studio companies for Blu-ray release...this includes KR & MV.

MV did get to keep all the original music (as Universal did make sure that was kept)...but syndicated rerun episodes were used for the home video releases. Same with KR. KR also had popular songs (one example is a couple songs by Prince) used in the original run of the show...but those songs were later switched out, or even cut out, for the reruns—and those were the versions used for the DVD & first Blu-ray releases. I have researched this, so I’m not making it up.

KR did NOT have original, uncut/unedited episodes complete with all original songs/music (since the show originally aired on NBC) until the Turbine 40th Anniversary Blu-ray set. I’m sorry, but the Universal DVD sets & the previous Blu-ray sets (regardless of which rerun versions they used) are syndicated versions...they are edited to some degree.

MV still has not had a release with original, uncut/unedited episodes—-even though a German set by Koch/Plaion claims they have “uncut” episodes...but all that means is they were finally able to get ahold of more “complete” episodes for the first time (aka the U.S. syndicated versions), as originally their reruns were more edited/“butchered” than ours (U.S.). But, they’re all still syndicated versions. In my opinion the Elephant Films Blu-ray set of MV is the best...for HD restoration, and as close to how the show originally was & was meant to look. But, I’m blessed/lucky enough to have the entire uncut original NBC airings of MV on homemade DVDs—transferred from the original VHS tapes several years ago. They may not be digitally restored to HD...but the colors, picture quality, and sound are amazing for how old the tapes/episodes were! It’s my favorite way to watch that show!

But, I wish that Turbine could do the same treatment for MV & “Magnum”, as it did for KR! Uncut/unedited episodes (with original music, if applicable) are always best (if possible)...and Turbine is the ONLY way to have KR in that way.
I mentioned "Knight of the Drones" several times now and posed the question about the differences between the syndicated print and what's on the Universal DVDs but you have no response for this. Instead you keep repeating the same thing. Here's another episode - "A Good Knight's Work". There's an entire subplot about a used car salesman (played by Dana Gladstone, who's even credited in the beginning with the rest of the main guest stars - John Vernon, Alexa Hamilton, Robert O'Reilly) that's missing completely in the syndicated prints but it's there on the Universal DVD. Can you explain that? So you can't say that the syndicated prints were used for the Universal DVD releases. I don't know what prints they used but it can't be what was shown in syndication. Not when entire chunks that are missing in syndication are restored on the DVD.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:34 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:26 am

What I am saying is (whether you like or believe it or not) Universal used syndicated (aka cut/edited) versions for the episodes when first releasing their older shows to DVD. Subsequently they provided the same versions to other studio companies for Blu-ray release...this includes KR & MV.

MV did get to keep all the original music (as Universal did make sure that was kept)...but syndicated rerun episodes were used for the home video releases. Same with KR. KR also had popular songs (one example is a couple songs by Prince) used in the original run of the show...but those songs were later switched out, or even cut out, for the reruns—and those were the versions used for the DVD & first Blu-ray releases. I have researched this, so I’m not making it up.

KR did NOT have original, uncut/unedited episodes complete with all original songs/music (since the show originally aired on NBC) until the Turbine 40th Anniversary Blu-ray set. I’m sorry, but the Universal DVD sets & the previous Blu-ray sets (regardless of which rerun versions they used) are syndicated versions...they are edited to some degree.

MV still has not had a release with original, uncut/unedited episodes—-even though a German set by Koch/Plaion claims they have “uncut” episodes...but all that means is they were finally able to get ahold of more “complete” episodes for the first time (aka the U.S. syndicated versions), as originally their reruns were more edited/“butchered” than ours (U.S.). But, they’re all still syndicated versions. In my opinion the Elephant Films Blu-ray set of MV is the best...for HD restoration, and as close to how the show originally was & was meant to look. But, I’m blessed/lucky enough to have the entire uncut original NBC airings of MV on homemade DVDs—transferred from the original VHS tapes several years ago. They may not be digitally restored to HD...but the colors, picture quality, and sound are amazing for how old the tapes/episodes were! It’s my favorite way to watch that show!

But, I wish that Turbine could do the same treatment for MV & “Magnum”, as it did for KR! Uncut/unedited episodes (with original music, if applicable) are always best (if possible)...and Turbine is the ONLY way to have KR in that way.
I mentioned "Knight of the Drones" several times now and posed the question about the differences between the syndicated print and what's on the Universal DVDs but you have no response for this. Instead you keep repeating the same thing. Here's another episode - "A Good Knight's Work". There's an entire subplot about a used car salesman (played by Dana Gladstone, who's even credited in the beginning with the rest of the main guest stars - John Vernon, Alexa Hamilton, Robert O'Reilly) that's missing completely in the syndicated prints but it's there on the Universal DVD. Can you explain that? So you can't say that the syndicated prints were used for the Universal DVD releases. I don't know what prints they used but it can't be what was shown in syndication. Not when entire chunks that are missing in syndication are restored on the DVD.
There may be some episodes that are more complete on the DVDs, depending on what syndicated reruns they used. “Knight of the Drones” may be one of them. But, as a whole the Universal DVDs are not original full versions. There are several episodes, and original 2hr ones, that are syndicated or edited copies. Even a couple that are back in a 2hr format are listed as ‘parts 1&2’. That means they took the syndicated split parts and put them back together to make the length like it was when the episode originally aired...but it’s still the syndicated versions.

I keep saying the same things because you keep bringing up the same things. :P I have the DVDs that I got when each was released...and I love having them. But, like it or not as a whole the show/episodes are not the original complete ones. Again, the ONLY set that has the entire series in original, complete, unedited/uncut episodes (with original music...as some songs by the original artists were originally used) is the Turbine 40th Anniversary Blu-ray set. It is the first time since the show originally aired that it’s been released as a whole, in complete form.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Pahonu wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:20 pm

I watched all three series when they originally aired. I have little doubt that Knight Rider used cover songs as that was standard practice in the industry to avoid paying huge fees to the original artists. It was Miami Vice that broke this pattern and it was well known at the time. They paid huge sums for their music budget and we would wait to hear what popular new music they used in the latest episode. It even influenced Magnum pi as it had original music in later seasons.

The only exception to this I can think of is WKRP in Cincinnati, which was of course about a radio station and used the popular music of its day. This lead to massive delays when releasing it on DVD, and they had to change the music in most episodes. The root of this problem is that broadcast/syndication copyright is different than VHS/DVD copyright.

Can’t comment on the editing differences.
I grew up with and watched KR when it originally aired, too...one of my all time favorite shows! :D KR did sometimes use cover songs, meaning someone else performed a popular song. However, they did use a few songs actually sung by the original artist. A couple Prince songs are some examples. Later in syndication those songs were switched out, or even cut out, so they didn’t have to pay the rights anymore. The Universal DVDs & first Blu-ray sets used those syndicated versions. But, the Turbine 40th Anniversary Blu-ray set has the entire series, with all original songs/music, in uncut/unedited, original NBC airings for the first time since the show was originally on!

You’re right about MV...it was the first show to really showcase songs into the plot/mood, and by the original artists! Superb show as well, and one of my favorites! Sadly there is no official set of MV that has original uncut episodes. Even though all original music is still there, which is awesome, the episodes for the DVDs and Blu-ray sets are still the syndicated versions.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:02 pm There may be some episodes that are more complete on the DVDs, depending on what syndicated reruns they used.
And that's what I'm saying. That even if these episodes aren't 100% complete as originally shown they're still a heck of a lot more complete than what we ever saw in syndication. I don't know how many or what different syndication packages they had but I know that watching this show in the 90s in syndication there were scenes missing that are there on the DVDs. And as for "Knight of the Drones" the whole format on the DVD is different, including a teaser intro which is definitely not something KR ever did in any other episode. So you know that's how it aired during its original run and not something that we ever saw in syndication when they broke it up into 2 parts.

I'm not a stickler for minutiae so I'm perfectly content with my Universal DVDs and the only reason I bought the Mill Creek Blu-Ray is because I lost the last disc from the season 3 DVD set and also because one of my favorite episodes ("Knightmares") is practically unplayable because of sticking/pausing/pixelating issues (something that happens with double-sided DVDs). Also I like that the Universal release kept all the cover songs that I grew up with watching it in reruns. Not sure why the Blu-Ray replaced at least one that I know of ("Hurts So Good") with some nondescript nonsense.

I know a lot of Five-O fans were up in arms over the 2nd season DVD release of Five-O and threatened to boycott purchasing any of the following seasons because "Bored She Hung Herself" was omitted (despite the label saying it was the "complete second season"). :roll: You mean you will forego on owning one of the greatest shows in television history simply because of one crappy episode which for all intents and purposes "does not exist" and was never seen by anyone in syndication??? That's just crazy. It's not like this is an episode that we all watched and loved in reruns and now all of a sudden it's gone. I can imagine being pissed if they decided to omit "Hookman" for whatever reason. But something like "Bored" being omitted doesn't bother me in the slightest. If we didn't have the internet we wouldn't even know that this episode ever existed, as I'm sure most people didn't.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:24 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:02 pm There may be some episodes that are more complete on the DVDs, depending on what syndicated reruns they used.
And that's what I'm saying. That even if these episodes aren't 100% complete as originally shown they're still a heck of a lot more complete than what we ever saw in syndication. I don't know how many or what different syndication packages they had but I know that watching this show in the 90s in syndication there were scenes missing that are there on the DVDs. And as for "Knight of the Drones" the whole format on the DVD is different, including a teaser intro which is definitely not something KR ever did in any other episode. So you know that's how it aired during its original run and not something that we ever saw in syndication when they broke it up into 2 parts.

I'm not a stickler for minutiae so I'm perfectly content with my Universal DVDs and the only reason I bought the Mill Creek Blu-Ray is because I lost the last disc from the season 3 DVD set and also because one of my favorite episodes ("Knightmares") is practically unplayable because of sticking/pausing/pixelating issues (something that happens with double-sided DVDs). Also I like that the Universal release kept all the cover songs that I grew up with watching it in reruns. Not sure why the Blu-Ray replaced at least one that I know of ("Hurts So Good") with some nondescript nonsense.

I know a lot of Five-O fans were up in arms over the 2nd season DVD release of Five-O and threatened to boycott purchasing any of the following seasons because "Bored She Hung Herself" was omitted (despite the label saying it was the "complete second season"). :roll: You mean you will forego on owning one of the greatest shows in television history simply because of one crappy episode which for all intents and purposes "does not exist" and was never seen by anyone in syndication??? That's just crazy. It's not like this is an episode that we all watched and loved in reruns and now all of a sudden it's gone. I can imagine being pissed if they decided to omit "Hookman" for whatever reason. But something like "Bored" being omitted doesn't bother me in the slightest. If we didn't have the internet we wouldn't even know that this episode ever existed, as I'm sure most people didn't.
True, there were different syndication “packages” by the different cable networks over the years. Some are possibly more complete than others, and that’s possibly why “Drones” includes more scenes on the DVD, than some of the previous reruns. There is another original 2hr episode that was split for syndication & the 2 parts (put back together) are what’s on the DVD. But, as a whole the DVDs are not original uncut versions.

I am a stickler for having things uncut/unedited & original if possible...when I’m a huge fan of something and later cut versions are used for home video sets, that does not set well with me. :wink: If a set is released with complete original airings, I’m willing to pay more for that. The DVDs are cool...but the Turbine Blu-ray set is superb! The best HD quality of an older TV show I’ve ever seen, and nothing is edited or cut out! :D

I know some fans of the original 5-0 were upset that “Bored” wasn’t included with the 2nd season set. But, none of the syndicated reruns after the show went off the air in 1980 ever aired that episode again. CBS yanked it after someone tried the erotic asphyxiation technique depicted in the episode and died. So, the syndicated versions of 5-0 are probably what CBS/Paramount used for the DVDs...and “Bored” wasn’t even included or an option. If it still exists, it’s probably sitting in a vault gathering dust. Several years ago I found an old bootleg copy somehow obtained from an original airing. So I actually have it...it’s a rough copy, but still very watchable.

Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:26 pm The DVDs are cool...but the Turbine Blu-ray set is superb! The best HD quality of an older TV show I’ve ever seen, and nothing is edited or cut out! :D
Speaking of picture quality, the other reason I got the Mill Creek Blu-Ray was I wanted to see how improved or more clear the picture quality was compared to my Universal DVDs. Sure, you can see some improvements in the clarity or sharpness but honestly I still prefer the picture quality on the DVD. I just feel the colors are more warm and vibrant on the DVD whereas on the Blu-Ray they are more muted. The green plants look more "green" on the DVD whereas on the Blu-Ray they appear more green-gray. Also the image is brighter on the Blu-Ray which I don't like. Like it's overexposed or something. Maybe I'm just used to my DVDs but it somehow feels more natural to me. KITT looks more black and sleek - dark black and not light black. And it's not like they removed the grain during the night-time scenes from the Blu-Ray. All that is still there. So I don't see a major improvement in the Blu-Ray. Would be curious to see some screen caps of the HD look in the Turbine set. Not that I would be jumping the gun to purchase it.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:23 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:26 pm The DVDs are cool...but the Turbine Blu-ray set is superb! The best HD quality of an older TV show I’ve ever seen, and nothing is edited or cut out! :D
Speaking of picture quality, the other reason I got the Mill Creek Blu-Ray was I wanted to see how improved or more clear the picture quality was compared to my Universal DVDs. Sure, you can see some improvements in the clarity or sharpness but honestly I still prefer the picture quality on the DVD. I just feel the colors are more warm and vibrant on the DVD whereas on the Blu-Ray they are more muted. The green plants look more "green" on the DVD whereas on the Blu-Ray they appear more green-gray. Also the image is brighter on the Blu-Ray which I don't like. Like it's overexposed or something. Maybe I'm just used to my DVDs but it somehow feels more natural to me. KITT looks more black and sleek - dark black and not light black. And it's not like they removed the grain during the night-time scenes from the Blu-Ray. All that is still there. So I don't see a major improvement in the Blu-Ray. Would be curious to see some screen caps of the HD look in the Turbine set. Not that I would be jumping the gun to purchase it.
I have the Mill Creek Blu-ray set, too...got it before I knew there was a special anniversary edition. There’s a really good review of the Turbine Blu-ray set compared to the Mill Creek one on YouTube. The differences are amazing...the Turbine set blows all the previous Blu-ray & DVD sets away.

Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:29 pm
I have the Mill Creek Blu-ray set, too...got it before I knew there was a special anniversary edition. There’s a really good review of the Turbine Blu-ray set compared to the Mill Creek one on YouTube. The differences are amazing...the Turbine set blows all the previous Blu-ray & DVD sets away.
Oh I just realized that I watched the Knight Rider Historians guy do a review of this latest and greatest release, which is in German by the way (the text at least). Saw this a few months ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au69yNAGpLo :D

I love watching this guy do a review/commentary of every episode. That's a really cool treat! :) He really knows his stuff, especially all the minutiae about KITT and which Trans Am was used in which shot. :shock:

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:50 pm
Oh I just realized that I watched the Knight Rider Historians guy do a review of this latest and greatest release, which is in German by the way (the text at least). Saw this a few months ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au69yNAGpLo :D

I love watching this guy do a review/commentary of every episode. That's a really cool treat! :) He really knows his stuff, especially all the minutiae about KITT and which Trans Am was used in which shot. :shock:
Yeah, I love the KR historians videos & info! But, there’s a guy who does reviews on most home media sets—usually the companies will send him a set to review. I think his channel is called “In Search of Physical Media”. His reviews are awesome, and the one he did on the Turbine KR set was very in depth & informative. He compared it to the Mill Creek one, and showed the differences. The Turbine set is in German on the box cover & the episode titles on the menus. But it’s actually very easy to navigate & figure out how to select the original English audio track & dialogue. It’s also region free & can be played anywhere worldwide.

Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:03 pm

Yeah, I love the KR historians videos & info! But, there’s a guy who does reviews on most home media sets—usually the companies will send him a set to review. I think his channel is called “In Search of Physical Media”. His reviews are awesome, and the one he did on the Turbine KR set was very in depth & informative. He compared it to the Mill Creek one, and showed the differences. The Turbine set is in German on the box cover & the episode titles on the menus. But it’s actually very easy to navigate & figure out how to select the original English audio track & dialogue. It’s also region free & can be played anywhere worldwide.
Yep I saw his video. Pretty in-depth. Though to be fair I saw very minimal difference in picture quality between the Mill Creek Blu-Ray and the Turbine one. Maybe the Turbine one is a tad brighter and just a tad sharper. But just a tad. No big differences, even though he kept raving about what a significant upgrade it was. Not that I could see. The extra goodies of course are a big plus and I really do love the menus that are modeled after KITT's voice modulator and surrounding buttons. That was really cool I thought. The TV-movies and Team Knight Rider I have no interest in whatsoever. I remember when TKR was on for one season in the 90s and I don't think I bothered to even sit down to watch 5 minutes of that crap. I saw a bunch of cars with different voices and a bunch of different people driving them and I was like "nope, not interested". As for KNIGHT RIDER 2000 that was included in the Universal season 1 DVD release. Didn't care for that either even though I forced myself to watch the whole thing. A big treat from that season 1 release was the pilot commentary by Glen Larson and the Hoff. Wish they did that for a few more episodes. Which is why I love what the Knight Rider Historians are doing - giving us fans a commentary for every single episode! :)

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:46 pm

Yep I saw his video. Pretty in-depth. Though to be fair I saw very minimal difference in picture quality between the Mill Creek Blu-Ray and the Turbine one. Maybe the Turbine one is a tad brighter and just a tad sharper. But just a tad. No big differences, even though he kept raving about what a significant upgrade it was. Not that I could see. The extra goodies of course are a big plus and I really do love the menus that are modeled after KITT's voice modulator and surrounding buttons. That was really cool I thought. The TV-movies and Team Knight Rider I have no interest in whatsoever. I remember when TKR was on for one season in the 90s and I don't think I bothered to even sit down to watch 5 minutes of that crap. I saw a bunch of cars with different voices and a bunch of different people driving them and I was like "nope, not interested". As for KNIGHT RIDER 2000 that was included in the Universal season 1 DVD release. Didn't care for that either even though I forced myself to watch the whole thing. A big treat from that season 1 release was the pilot commentary by Glen Larson and the Hoff. Wish they did that for a few more episodes. Which is why I love what the Knight Rider Historians are doing - giving us fans a commentary for every single episode! :)
I could tell & see huge differences between the Mill Creek and Turbine Blu-ray sets!! The Turbine one is definitely much brighter, sharper, clearer, more in focus, and the colors are amazing! The Turbine Blu-ray set is definitely a major upgrade from the original DVD sets & the previous Blu-ray sets!

However, it is expensive! That’s because it has the entire original series uncut for the first time since the show originally aired & restored to the best quality of HD possible. Plus, most of the KR franchise is included as well (except the 2008 remake—which I didn’t care for anyway). I also am not a fan of the 1991 KR TV movie sequel Knight Rider 2000, nor the other series Team Knight Rider (which the acting & special effects were so bad I only watched about 2 episodes & couldn’t finish it :wink: ), and I’ve actually not watched the other 1994 TV movie spin-off Knight Rider 2010. But, they are included in the Turbine set...so I’ll take them as awesome special features & bonuses. The complete original series being restored in that quality of HD, and presented in uncut/unedited original airings is enough for me to want it.

But, I’m a collector (especially of shows I grew up on or watched as a kid—even if they were older reruns then), and so I’m always wanting to find the best quality & most complete sets for those shows. Sometimes it’s expensive, so you have to decide if it’s worth it for you. :wink: Sadly, I’m discovering that Universal & some other studio companies, have used syndicated versions for the home media sets of their older shows. I’m sure it was cheaper, as those versions were more readily available.

Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:12 pm

I could tell & see huge differences between the Mill Creek and Turbine Blu-ray sets!! The Turbine one is definitely much brighter, sharper, clearer, more in focus, and the colors are amazing! The Turbine Blu-ray set is definitely a major upgrade from the original DVD sets & the previous Blu-ray sets!

However, it is expensive! That’s because it has the entire original series uncut for the first time since the show originally aired & restored to the best quality of HD possible. Plus, most of the KR franchise is included as well (except the 2008 remake—which I didn’t care for anyway). I also am not a fan of the 1991 KR TV movie sequel Knight Rider 2000, nor the other series Team Knight Rider (which the acting & special effects were so bad I only watched about 2 episodes & couldn’t finish it :wink: ), and I’ve actually not watched the other 1994 TV movie spin-off Knight Rider 2010. But, they are included in the Turbine set...so I’ll take them as awesome special features & bonuses. The complete original series being restored in that quality of HD, and presented in uncut/unedited original airings is enough for me to want it.

But, I’m a collector (especially of shows I grew up on or watched as a kid—even if they were older reruns then), and so I’m always wanting to find the best quality & most complete sets for those shows. Sometimes it’s expensive, so you have to decide if it’s worth it for you. :wink: Sadly, I’m discovering that Universal & some other studio companies, have used syndicated versions for the home media sets of their older shows. I’m sure it was cheaper, as those versions were more readily available.
Did you get the Turbine set or are you planning to get it?

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:43 pm

I got it several months ago, and have already gone through it. It’s huge, as there’s a lot included, but I love it—and it’s one of my most favorite sets of a show I have.

Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:16 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:43 pm

I got it several months ago, and have already gone through it. It’s huge, as there’s a lot included, but I love it—and it’s one of my most favorite sets of a show I have.
That's cool. Glad you're enjoying it. Personally I couldn't justify making a purchase like this. Not only because of the price but because I already have this series in 2 different formats - DVD and Blu-Ray. Plus this thing is ginormous! Clutter is a big thing I try to avoid and I don't like owning multiple copies of the same thing. I'm definitely not a collector. I purchase something because I want to watch it, not because it's yet another release and it's so super cool that I gotta own it. Because then in a few years another super cool release will come out and I need to buy that one too? So I avoid things like that. I'm definitely not like that guy in that video whose entire room is filled with DVD/Blu-Ray/4K and apparently he has more rooms that he hasn't shown us. I wouldn't even know where to start watching anything if I had a collection like that. :shock: :shock: That's just going way overboard - collecting for the sake of collecting. Where do you find the time to watch and rewatch all that stuff? I don't have the time to watch my collection and it's almost nonexistent compared to his. All my stuff fits into one small cabinet. Also as far as HD and highest quality and resolution sometimes I too would find myself a bit too wrapped up in that and then I'd have to pinch myself and ask if that's even all that important. All these shows we grew up watching half of them I watched on my small B&W portable TV which looked very grainy and others that I watched on our color TV the image was really bad - with snow on the screen and I would have to hold the rabbit ears to stabilize the image from scrolling vertically or for the snow to decrease. And now we're so spoiled - we worry about resolution and measure every pixel. :lol: I almost feel like these shows weren't even meant to be seen in such detail and such high-res. I think we tend to go overboard with these older shows. I know when the Universal DVDs came out in 2004 I was blown away by the picture and sound quality. And it's not like it was even remastered - like Paramount did with their Five-O, Mannix, and Mission: Impossible DVD releases that came out shortly after. But it's just that compared to how KR looked when I watched it in syndication on our simple TV it was like heaven and earth!!! I didn't know anything about "remastering" or "HD" in 2004 but boy did that set look good to me when I first popped it into my DVD player. A feast for my eyes! And it still looks good, even if it's not remastered. I guess I care less and less about things like that as I get older. For example, I have Rockford Files and The A-Team on Blu-Ray. I have Columbo and Five-O on DVD. I've no issues with picture quality on any of these sets. Very satisfied. I'm keeping them as they are. No need to upgrade the DVDs to Blu-Rays. I just find it pointless. I don't have the shelf space for housing more of the same. I will be purchasing the latest and greatest Mission: Impossible Blu-Ray set which came out last year, as I don't own this series yet in any format and I haven't seen any of the episodes past season 3 (I used to receive the discs from Netflix).